• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

The spaces always get filled...........and people do want to go to Bulwell..........ALWAYS BUSY........

Why wouldnt they......Market 4 days per week...free parking...nice places to eat or just sit and watch the world go by......some folk dont appreciate friendly banter........if thats the case STAY AWAY........smile2

• Like 3

I used to do all of my shopping in Bulwell when we lived in Old Basford 86-96. It was a good shopping area and easy for me to walk there and back with 2 young kids and a pushchair, as back then you had to take your child out & fold the pushchair up to get on the bus. It had a good variety of shops, banks and a great market. My dad still shops there. It still seems to be a thriving shopping area unlike a lot of other places where the majority of shops are either empty or boarded up.

• Like 3

New Basford I know well having worked in the area. Both the Old and New Basfords were not great for shopping. It was either Radford, which is now very run down, or Bulwell where I spent 7 happy years at school. I admit Highbury Rd. and Kersall Drive isn’t Bulwell ‘proppa’.

Another memorable date today,,,,,10/9/71........another one of my boys born on this day....he's the one in Australia just wished him happy 52nd birthday and another son is there with him landed last night.............

I was working for ABGibsons out of their office in Moxley..West Midlands...and on returning to the office at about 5pm found a note on my desk...saying...

wife in Ward 1 and has had 3 boys...nearly feinted.....obviously wrong way round....

Oh yes 10/9/03...I...had heart attack  on the Staffordshire moors.....:ohmy:......That was quite memorable too...

• Like 4
On 9/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, philmayfield said:

New Basford I know well having worked in the area. Both the Old and New Basfords were not great for shopping. It was either Radford, which is now very run down, or Bulwell where I spent 7 happy years at school. I admit Highbury Rd. and Kersall Drive isn’t Bulwell ‘proppa’.

Of course it is.

• 2 weeks later...

YES agree but it's good to talk everything in small doses.

I was speaking about what it was like when we were young?

No shops open on a Sunday it's dsy of rest, down Trent Bride with your Trannie, go for a boat ride hire a rowing boat. Take a pinic. Nod on the grass.

Up to the Castle  look a round  buy ice cream. see the deers. educate your self. 

Nexr where should we go next Sunday?

Our younger friends don't know what they have missed.

Funny that this Topic should crop up  I was at the hair./Beauty salon to-day and Reanna was making a good job of sorting my nails out, "Well she ask what has your week been like"? i told her what I had been up to. then I ask a Question have you got your self a boyfriend  Reanna , No she replied Where do I go to met any boys? so I ask beside all you younsters texting on your phones what do you do? "nothing"  Reanna then ask  but tell me what did you do? well we would go to the dance halls Rock n' Roll had not been around long. we would go to youth clubs and  Sundays we would either go to the Castle, sit in slab square or go down to Trent Bridge to have a look what boys were about. Then i said showing my age Oh!!! and we would always take the trannie so we could here Tony Blackburn Afternoon Pop Pickers.  Well Reanna said it certainley sounds a better week that what I'm having, Because at this moment I;m board. I wish that I could have been born in the late 50s early 60s.

mary1947. Think life was so much more fun back in the day. My two kids are in their mid thirties and constantly on their phones. Nothing like actual social interaction with a “real” person.

Hi Mrs B   i must agree I think looking back we had the best years.   

Rock n Roll 

Jive

Plus all other dances that came in

Pinics with family (not for getting to take cricket bat)

Pubs that had pianos and sing song's

Sunday the day of rest

Feddie Laker one of the first cheap airlines that went to Spain

Top ten  / juke box jury/  top of the pops with pans people 

Men with D/A hair styles and Italian suites plus ties

Flare skirts with our large hair styles which when used lacquer stayed in for a whole week

Jean's  that if they were too baggy you would sit in the bath to shrink them

White weddings all we hear of now is people  living together. (Where have all the parties gone)???

Going out on a Friday/Saturday night waking up next day trying to remember what you did and said

plus hugging the toilet in the middle of the night room spining  and wondering if you would make it back to bed

Best thing of all         THE PILL

@mary1947, you've forgotten to mention 'frothy coffee', that putrid sludge that you got in those little glass eyebaths, when everybody thought they were the cats whiskers if they drank them.

But nobody knew what they were or what was in them. But it was 'cool' to sit in a coffee bar and drink one.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

With a FAG

Strange how the meaning of words has changed over time.

FAG - Cigarette, A junior pupil at a Public School, Homosexual

Gay - Lighthearted and carefree, Homosexual male. We have an ice cream here called Golden Gaytime. It was released in 1959 and in 2021 there was an on-line petition to change the name due to its connotations but the manufacturer refused.

Do any others come to mind?

13 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

We have an ice cream here called Golden Gaytime. It was released in 1959 and in 2021 there was an on-line petition to change the name due to its connotations but the manufacturer refused.

Do any others come to mind?

Good for them. If that had been here in the UK the manufacturer would have given in, issuing a grovelling apology for offending the sensibilities of the LBGT+QWERTY Keyboard community. I've come to the conclusion that everything you say offends someone somewhere, and I'm surprised that the savoury meat dish we all know as faggots are still allowed to be sold as that nowadays

• Like 1
21 hours ago, trogg said:

Have to agree a fag was important.

Plus a pocketful of 'Tanners'...for the ''Juke Box''

Penguin in Bulwell   circa 59.........it would have been ''Threpenny Bits'' with the 'Teddy Boys''

mary think I was born a little later than you, 1955, my youth was all about hot pants and mini skirts (very mini skirts) and platform shoes and boots and dancing on the stage at the Union Boat Club in the days of Petal the DJ but yes lots of Dusty Springfield eye make up going on.

Hi Mrs B yes I remember hot pants and platform shoes i am a little older but I belive the Mini came in from Mary Quant and shorter the better and at that time the mini car came off the production line Carnaby St was te place to shop  I remember Dusty with the black eyeliner. My music time was Tommy Steel, Cliff Richards/ Beatles/ Stones/ but we also had the Everlys Billy j karmer, oh and Jazz , The mini skirt also wentto the maxi skirt which had a large split from the hem to just abovethe knee, I also went down to the Boat Club we must have passed each otheralong the way. Did you go to the Hippo orScamps? Usedto go to the Hippoand later madisons, Scamps was quite new and by then I was married so never did get to Scamps,

11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Plus a pocketful of 'Tanners'...for the ''Juke Box''

agree with Tanners for Juke box but cig's 

Never smoked at all, never lit one up having said that my grandad  used to chuff woodbines and he was 85 when called up to the cig;s maker in the sky.

11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Penguin

I remember Penguin chocolate biscuits. Can you still get them?

The jury is out on whether Penguin or the OZ version Tim Tam is the better biscuit.

Has anyone on here tried both and what did you think?