You can still get Penguin biscuits not sure if the kids are thrilled by them like we used to be, never tried both, when you get to one of the meetups you must bring us so samples OZ 

• Like 1
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

Mary, I went to the Hippo a couple of times and the Sandpiper but used to go regularly to a club near the Theatre Royal. Was that Scamps? 
seems to be so long ago, it’s all a bit of a haze!

Is that where the 'Heart of  the Midlands' was?. If so, been there a few times for the owd 'chicken n chips' in a plastic basket.

One of the things that struck me when I moved to the states was chocolate biscuits, and I don't mean Kit Kat etc but packets of them like chocolate finger biccies, chocolate digestives  etc..

It may be due to the much warmer summer climate, Hersheys chocolate is like chewing plastic, something they add to keep it more solid in summer.

Even Cadbury's,  chocolate bars made by Hershey's under license is not as creamy as UK Cadbury's, but Americans prefer Cadbury's from what I've picked up on forums.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:04 AM, denshaw said:

It was Scamps on Wollaton St, also called Penny farthing amongst others.

This is when it was Penny Farthing.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm002390/posterid/ntgm002390.html

It now looks like this; back end of a hotel.  https://goo.gl/maps/KHE8JnZAyPEriwrK9

On 9/23/2022 at 9:41 AM, Beekay said:

Is that where the 'Heart of  the Midlands' was?. If so, been there a few times for the owd 'chicken n chips' in a plastic basket.

Heart of Midlands is now Rock City on Talbot Street.  https://goo.gl/maps/tkNUTqnYymTcPKD2A

I dont know exactly when but am thinking late 70's, the building in the picture cliffton has posted of the steps with the penny farthing sign above became the offices of the inland revenue, it was called lambert or lambeth house, my mum worked there then, and when i had my eldest daughter in 86 i used to go into town and she used to take us for lunch at the restaurant in the big coop. These offices closed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's i think when it was all moved to a brand new building at castle meadow.

Are you sure you've got the right location ? Or was there more than one Lambert House ?

The Lambert House which I knew was/is on Talbot Street; it was the place to go for car tax - among other things. The building is still there, but now student-connected. And it would be easy to go from there to the big Co-op.

https://goo.gl/maps/PKQmJhrvSo3pyJmB6

There's a refurbished victorian lace maker factory building on Talbot st at the top of Hanley St. It was owned by Lambert brothers and officially named Stanley House. It was made into offices sometime in the last century But in my time we knew it as Lamberts factory. It faces the CO OP down Hanley st. It closed sometime in the 80s but was saved from demolition and is now, I believe, accommodation. (Edited)

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

It was used as a shelter by a homeless chap at night.........he had to be moved every morning and mostly a Guard did this by shouting and being generally abusive to him...........

But if i got there afore him i did it with humour (being a nice bloke) usually gave him a 

Smoke' and even sometimes a couple of 'Bob' ...felt really sorry for him.........being nasty doesnt solve problems for people like him..........always think about him whenever i pass...wonder how he ended up....:(

• Like 7

@Cliff Tonthe building where my mum worked was definitely not on Talbot St so I have probably got the name wrong if that is Lambert House.

The window in my mum's office, which was on the third or fourth floor, looked out onto Upper Parliament St, pretty much opposite a pub which I'm sure I remember being a green and cream Home Ales pub. I think it was The Fox, or Fox & Grapes or something like that? To the right you could see West End Arcade. We would sometimes walk up Wollaton St and down the alleyway between the Co-op and the pub that was at the top of it, and on the bottom corner was a clothes shop called Vicky's, to a cafe further along which if I recall rightly was called The Hollies, if the Co-op was too busy.

5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

always remember that stretch of road because of the Stamp Shop a bit further along on the left....and amazingly there's still a stamp shop there

I am also amazed to learn that the stamp shop is still there, and don't know if any of you can remember but didn't the shop on the end of that stretch next door to the stamp shop used to be Pearts bakery shop in the 80's? .

2 hours ago, RadFordee said:

The window in my mum's office, which was on the third or fourth floor, looked out onto Upper Parliament St, pretty much opposite a pub which I'm sure I remember being a green and cream Home Ales pub. I think it was The Fox, or Fox & Grapes or something like that? To the right you could see West End Arcade. 

I know where you mean. This shows the stretch of road you're referring to.... You can just see West End Arcade on the right, and the pub on the far left, behind the van (when you use the hover/enlarge feature).

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm014665/posterid/ntgm014665.html

And this is the pub today. Now called Vibes, but used to be The Fox.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qj5VbLP76TkwFcXh6

7 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

It was used as a shelter by a homeless chap at night.........he had to be moved every morning and mostly a Guard did this by shouting and being generally abusive to him...........

But if i got there afore him i did it with humour (being a nice bloke) usually gave him a 

Smoke' and even sometimes a couple of 'Bob' ...felt really sorry for him.........being nasty doesnt solve problems for people like him..........always think about him whenever i pass...wonder how he ended up....:(

That nice @benjamin1945 some people have had rough lives and to be homeless  can't be easy,  mostly invisible to the rest of the world,  lets spare a thought especially as the colder weather draws upon us. 

• Like 3

Looking again at the photo Stuart C posted of Pearts, what was the building with the scaffolding around it? I do vaguely remember the County hotel being there but cant for the life of me remember what was on the other junction before the Royal hotel was built there.