On Stuart's map, project from Thoroton Street and see four houses nestled behind the houses on Russell Street.  I think those would be Adcocks Yard.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

Think my childhood memories  were not the best of my life. School years it was 'survival of the fittest'. At home it were 'dragged up' rather than brought up. Wasn't all grim, there were some highligh

6 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

On Stuart's map, project from Thoroton Street and see four houses nestled behind the houses on Russell Street.  I think those would be Adcocks Yard.

Wow thankyou great to see that.

@RadFordee Historical Directories of England and Wales, hosted online by Leicester University.  Whites, Wrights and Kellys are the most comprehensive.  Lists of streets and who lived there, with occupations.  A veritable mine of information (includes lots of background info and stats for Notts) but I find the search facility a bit flaky (that said I am on a mobile - might be better from a desktop).

@RadFordee I think a lot of us just like a bit of detective work.  The different methods and resources used by members complement each other and these are sense checked with various memories to form a credible solution.

@The Engineerwell you are all great detectives having solved my query & especially as quickly as you did, thanks again to yourself & to stuartc for the map which is the only map i've ever seen that shows all of the small yards etc that were in the area.

Radfordee,

The map was published 1901.

On the link below if you are on a P.C or tablet, (don't think you'll see it on a phone) if you use the slider bottom left you can overlay the modern layout of the area.

If the Help box comes up, click the X top right to get rid of it.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.95910&lon=-1.16532&layers=168&b=7

@Stuart.Cthanks very much stuart for the link i will have a look at that later on the laptop, & thanks for dating the map too, i guessed it must have been an early 1 with the infant school not being situated on the corner.