No probs, I loved the smell of soluble oil, beat the crap of the smell of hydraulic oil. One of the faces we had used hydraulic oil for the Dowty Roofmasters face support, made a mess when a hose burst, was glad when oil was banned as the fluid in the face supports because of the fire hazard.

I left Cotgrave shortly after completing my apprenticeship. Worked in outside industry for a few years, then went back underground at BG's gypsum at East Leake, that was it then until we moved state side. No way you'd get me in a US coal mine, regs are too lacking for the likes of me. Australia, well each state had it's own laws, but NSW and Queensland had similar mining regs as the UK, which were rigidly applies by the Inspectorate. I felt pretty safe UG in NSW.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bit of road takes me back to my Coop days.....security had a small office that backed on to Wollaton street and next to that was a goods delivery place that recessed into the building........

EATING IN THE FIFTIES * Pasta had not been invented. * Curry was an unknown entity. * Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet * Spic

Hopefully this shows everything mentioned in the last few posts, including Ben's and Hey Arnold's memories.   Park Place (as in the old photo) is the double-headed arrow, leading out on to P

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

(Got fed up of stinking of cooling suds all the time).

Beekay, Nothing worse than going back into the factory after the 4 week Christmas holiday here in OZ and being welcomed by the smell of some "suds" that had been fermenting away in some machine that some lazy oik did not drain.

Happily most of our memories are like this....lovely funny happy series back in the day...........those that are still with us are in their 70s now....bit like alot of us.........

• Like 3

Small world. 40 years ago l was working in the same building at Stavertongirl. lt was called Pinfold House, approached from Talbot Street along a drive at the side of Lambert House which was where the vehicle tax office was situated. l worked for Great Universal Stores which was the parent company of Cavendish Woodhouse among many others. Willerby Tailoring and Times Furnishing had offices in the same building. l haven't been along there for years but l bet all those buildings are student flats.

As SG says, it backed onto the cemetery and an owl used to sit in a tree and watch us. On the other side we could see into a dental technicians on Clarendon Street. Presumably they were making false teeth. l wonder if that is still there.

Talking of Cavendish Woodhouse we used to live next door to a Betty Simmons who worked there for what seemed like “ever”. My brother also had a stint there amongst his many many other jobs in his life.

11 hours ago, Newarker said:

Small world. 40 years ago l was working in the same building at Stavertongirl. lt was called Pinfold House, approached from Talbot Street along a drive at the side of Lambert House which was where the vehicle tax office was situated. 

The side road...........with Lambert House on the right, now called Study Inn - and full of students.  

https://goo.gl/maps/gp5NLXRPU8Ve82qq8

I worked for Times Furnishing, it was their default department that was in Pinfold House. (Sometimes think that is why I am so cynical listening to all the bu....it why they were not able to pay for their furniture.) We had a tame squirrel who would sit on the window sills waiting to be fed. It started coming inside but our manager objected so we had to keep it outside. 

• Upvote 1

Ben,

looking at the Happy Day's video it brought back to me how backward we in the UK were compared with the US, or so it seemed. I know it's just a US TV show but the difference in living and life styles, well.... 

Thats true Alpha.....but with the Happy days series i could definitely see shades of my late school years and Teens.......happiest days of my life....great clothes...marvellous Music...brilliant happy Parents and friends.....and like 'Fonze' showing off to the Girls...:rolleyes: 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Beekay said:

Talbot Street looks absolutely nothing like I remember it. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

To be honest BK not much in Nottingham looks like it used to and not necessarily changed for the better. Surprised the lions are still here.

Totally agree S.G., when I look at the market square, it saddens me when I think back to how it used to look when there were the flower beds and underground toilets etc. It was a bit of a shock when C.T. posted his picture of Broad Marsh. I fully realise one cannot live in the past,but 'bloody hell', there must be limits. It's one of the reasons I like to read Ben's posts of yesteryear. Rant over.

• Like 1

How sad to be in Nottingham on my last trip a few years ago after being away for 3 decades. Looking for some of my favourite shops..Austin Reed (Angel Row) Horne Bros (Clumber St) Hector Powe (Basement Council House) Burtons Food Hall . All gone.

Reminds me of that great Merle Haggard song.

Back when Coke was still Cola & a joint was a bad place to be.

Long before Elvis & Nixon lying to us all on TV.

When a Ford & a Chevy would last 10 years like it should.

Are the good times all over & have they all gone now for good.

I know what you mean. I had a brief wander round the centre of Bulwell on Tuesday before meeting some friends for coffee. A few years ago, one August Bank Holiday, I met Ben, the Dalai Chulla, Denshaw and Bubblewrap in the William Peverel one morning. Didn't have time to look round but, from what I remember, it didn't look as bad as on Tuesday.

I found it difficult to get my bearings, so much has changed. The main street seems to have shrunk and, worst of all, it looks so tatty and uncared for.  I knew Bulwell in the 70s. Two Manning friends lived there. One lived on Coventry Road but their shop premises were demolished under CPO. I couldn't even begin to identify where it once was. What happened to Commercial Road? Its beginning, from the marketplace, has gone.

As Beekay said above, no one can live in the past but if Bulwell today is supposed to be progress.... I can live without it.

I agree its changed Jill........

Commercial road has died...

Main street has shrunk...

and some (a few) new builds have appeared......but some things (most) are the same....

Main streets buildings are mostly the same....as are the buildings around the Market....obviously the river is still running thru the Bogs....and the Church on the hill still overlooks it all...........but the main thing about Bulwell is its people......and their ''One off'' sense of humour.......

On a personal note i still see people from my school days and relatives....even the ones that have left us i still see in my minds eye.......

And of course the place is always enhanced by your presence.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

It made me think back to my very first visit to Bulwell in 1965. My maternal grandfather died in August 1965. My sister and I were not allowed to go to the funeral which was at Northern Cemetery. Possibly, a week later mum took my sister and I to put some flowers on the grave. We got off the bus in Bulwell market place, opposite Woolworth's. I remember looking at the river before we set off for the cemetery, walking along what was basically a country lane...Hempshill Lane? It led to the gates of Northern Cemetery.  Long before the Hempshill Lane estate was constructed. 

• Like 1

Jill, if memory serves me correct, at the top of that lane, adjacent to the cemetery gates, was a monumental masons and a florists where one could purchase flowers prior to visiting graves. The masons was where a headstone could be ordered. Unless I'm very much mistaken, (without doubt someone will correct me) the lane was approached by going up Greasley Street. When I was about 13, I used to go with my pal, Joey Nelson to visit his sisters grave. I used to borrow his dad's bike and he had a racer, so we'd cycle to Bulwell from Garden Street and we pushed our bikes up that lane.

• Like 1

Yes, Beekay. There was indeed a florist but I remember it as being a florist's stall, out in the open air. Mum purchased some bright yellow chrysanthemum -type flowers and we wandered through what looked to me like an enormous place full of graves. Mum went straight to the right place. She'd been going there for many years as the mortal remains of her mother, maternal grandparents and great aunt were all interred in the same plot.  Interesting that the lane was accessed via Greasley Street.

Ben, I am constantly amazed when I look at Main street today and think back to when I used to drive a bloody great 'Fleetline' double decker bus through there on my way up to Camberley Road. Turned left just past what was Wilko (now 'Spoons?) Onto I think what is Ravensworth road. Main street hardly looks big enough to drive a Smart car through.

Some things do get better then............

Main street no traffic...and Bulwell must be the best place in Nottingham for Parking........100s of spaces all free.........