Agree Stu....if only Jonny Brownlee didn't get a 15 second penalty, it would have been Gold and Silver!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The technical coverage of the Rio games is brilliant but I just wish the stupid talking heads would stop calling them heroes. They just happen to be able to run, jump, kick, hit, throw or stand still

I thought that the Olympics was marvellous despite the green diving pool and the threats of Zika virus etc. So many moments to be proud of our athletes and yes, I agree, they are not heroes just very

A Shark alarm at Bondi Beach in Sydney� sent everyone rushing from the water �except for three young boys who didn�'t hear the siren. Onlookers were horrified to see a dorsal fin moving fast towards t

I don't know too much about that event but apparently he got the penalty for mounting his bike too quickly.

That's now NINETEEN Golds - the equal of Beijing - with five days still to go!

Fantastic, Team GB.

Not really up to date with who's doing what there but nothing would surprise me with British cycling at the moment - just tremendous!

Doing such a good job for furthering the sport in this country!

Has anyone else noticed the fact that three quarters of the Golds have come with the athletes sitting down! Eg: sailing, rowing, cycling, horse riding, canoeing, yachting........there's hope for me yet!! ( ps: Is there an event involving a tv remote control? )

Just about to watch womens 1500 metres, cheering for Lisa Dobrisky, local girl from the 'marsh'............had some bad luck in previous attempts, just hope that changes tonight..................GO LISA.............. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just read that 40.7 Million Americans watched the opening ceremonies on NBC!

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit I saw. Let's see if our ' superstar ' footballers can match all the commitment shown by the athletes....probably not.

• 2 years later...

To be fair, it's really easy for athletes to miss drugs tests. The testers can arrive any time and if you're not where your schedule says you should be then you've missed the test. If you pop out to the shops during a scheduled period at home then you can miss it. In Farah's case, I don't know the details of the first one in 2010 but in the second(a year later) he says he didn't hear the door bell. Happens to me all the time if I'm in the back garden. You're allowed to miss 2 in 12 months, it was 2 in 18 months back then. I would surmise that during that year, Farah will have been tested upwards of 20 times anyway.

To save all this condemnation of athletes why not have two Olympics?one for the drug users (assisted) and one for the non drug users,(unassisted) after all it's their bodies that are being abused, if an athlete wins an event their name gets loads of publicity and no doubt increases their income and everyone is happy for them,it's not until later when some sort of drug scandal hit's the press that everyone is suddenly unhappy, if, like I suggest there is two Olympics (assisted and unassisted events) every one is happy plus there is a chance that more revenue will be generated to benefit the community.

Just a thought

Rog

Because that then trickles down to pressure on young people to take drugs too. Also there would then be a race to make the most effective drugs without thenm having to be 'invisible' which would inevitably lead to ones that are even more damaging. You would also have to have the two types of competition at every level, not just the Olympics.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Absolutely fantastic. I wasn't going to watch Murray last night as I was weary, but I sat up in bed with my iPad and watched it all.

Also the cyclists.... Absolutely fascinating I'm so proud of them all.

The technical coverage of the Rio games is brilliant but I just wish the stupid talking heads would stop calling them heroes. They just happen to be able to run, jump, kick, hit, throw or stand still better than the average Joe, but heroes they aint.

Heroes are those among us who daily put their lives on the line for us, the active armed forces, the emergency services, civil rescue etc.

• Upvote 6

Well my, my, the transition to the new host and the ensuing technicalities seems to have seriously detracted from Team GB's phenomenal success in the Rio Games. 

The cycling, rowing etc we knew we'd be relatively successful, but the ladies hockey team winning gold against Holland the current champions, and Nick Skeltons success in the showjumping at the tender age of 58 is nothing short of spectacular given the horrific injuries he's endured, and has been retired for 16 years. 

• Upvote 1

While in Greece the master and I went on a visit to Olympia. It was decided by a king that every four years they would stop fighting and have a sessions of games. You can still run on the running track that the very first games took place. (of course I could not refuse) When the first games was held women where not allowed to go in to the

stadium but one lady's  son was running in the games so she dressed up as a man, the trouble was that her son won his race and she jumped up and revealed  that she was a women, after that women were allowed into the games. There were also cheats and if you were caught they made a statue of you and placed it at the entrance arch so as the new athletes passed they would know who had cheated. If you get chance to go to Olympia then go.

• Upvote 1

What a fantastic achievement by Team GB in the medal tables who seem to have confused the world by their ability to perform so well. Good to see the clean cut athletes looking  smart fit and so comfortable when being interviewed.

With the very few exceptions maybe rowers and equestrian , everyone else, managers, trainers and competitors  all seem to have removed TH from the english language it is now pronounced F if at the beginning of a word or V if in the middle. We now have fink, togevva, wiv. Why?

• Upvote 1

Yes DAVE,......Different world and language mate.........listened to Notts co manager on radio Nottingham today he's got it an'all,........and sick of hearing their self praise........'ive worked so hard'........supposed to aren't we?...........

• Upvote 1