Cycling, hockey, equestrian, rowing....... Exciting beyond belief. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The technical coverage of the Rio games is brilliant but I just wish the stupid talking heads would stop calling them heroes. They just happen to be able to run, jump, kick, hit, throw or stand still

I thought that the Olympics was marvellous despite the green diving pool and the threats of Zika virus etc. So many moments to be proud of our athletes and yes, I agree, they are not heroes just very

A Shark alarm at Bondi Beach in Sydney� sent everyone rushing from the water �except for three young boys who didn�'t hear the siren. Onlookers were horrified to see a dorsal fin moving fast towards t

Just thought you would like to know that a Mansfield lass Suzanne Balogh won gold in the Trap shooting at the Rio games.

Suzanne comes from Mansfield in Victoria, a small town in the foothills of the Australian Alps named after Mansfield in Notts.

One of many towns and suburbs named after Nottinghamshire suburbs or villages. Newstead, Sherwood and Rainworth can all be found in Brisbane.

Malcolm I think it should be compulsory for every ex colony to have a Bulwell...............

hey oztalgian..............Bondi Beach v Bulwell Bogs............bah' no contest..........most of us keep our feet covered as well !!!............

A Shark alarm at Bondi Beach in Sydney’ sent everyone rushing from the water –except for three young boys who didn’'t hear the siren. Onlookers were horrified to see a dorsal fin moving fast towards them. Suddenly, a tall bloke took a deep breath, dived into the surf, swam past the shark, and scooped up two of the boys, swiftly bringing them to the shore and safety. He then took another deep breath and swam out again, snatching the third boy before the rapidly approaching, shark could attack and got him back to the beach in one piece. The heroic bloke then put a knife between his clenched teeth, swam out to the shark, and killed it in a furious battle. As he staggered out from the surf, bleeding and battered, a journalist raced up to him and said, “That was the most heroic thing I’'ve ever witnessed mate. This will appear on the front page of tomorrow'’s newspaper: “Aussie hero saves three boys from killer shark!” “Thanks.” Smiles the fella, “but I'’m not an Aussie. I'’m a British backpacker from Bulwell.” “No worries,” said the journalist with a frown, “it'’ll still be front-page news.” The next day, the newspaper’ headline screamed, “Pommy bastard kills boy'’s pet fish!”

• Upvote 4

"Where are you going to keep your medal?"

I've heard that question asked so many times on TV these past couple of weeks and most of the medal winners have told the nation that their Mum was going to be looking after it.  Bit risky to announce that in my opinion, encouraging burglary ....... or is that just me not trusting anybody?!!! 

• Upvote 3

I thought that the Olympics was marvellous despite the green diving pool and the threats of Zika virus etc. So many moments to be proud of our athletes and yes, I agree, they are not heroes just very good at their sport. Yes, it costs an awful lot of money to fund their efforts but I would rather it was spent on targeted sporting success than frittered away on other dubious art and culture projects. Debatable I know!

i also think that they should be permanently based in Greece, the home of the Olympics, which would mean cutting down on the astronomic expense for the host country. Every country that can afford it would contribute to its cost in Greece.

My moments - Mo Farah's face at the end of the 10,000 metres (bewilderment.), Colombian weightlifter Oscar Figueroa winning gold and retiring (sinking to his knees, kissing the weights, leaving his shoes by the weights and sobbing), the sportsmanship of the US woman 5,000 metres athlete who stopped to help a New Zealand athlete when she fell, Dan Walker's late night commentary from Copacabana Beach (full of silly but interesting interludes).

I thought that the BBC coverage was excellent. Particular praise to Brendan Foster and Steve Cram in the athletics plus Michael Johnson who is first rate. In the rugby sevens, Sir Clive Woodward, Eddie Butler and John Inverdale and in the rowing, Sirs Steve Redgrave, Matthew Pinsent and James Cracknell. Not forgetting the ladies, I thought that Gaby Logan and Hazel Irvine were brilliant. 

Just my views!

Use of English - will someone please, please tell our athletes and commentators that to 'medal' and to 'podium' are not real verbs. I even heard an esteemed rowing coach mention that one of his rowers had 'boated'. I think that was around about the time that I was 'dinnering'.

Overall though, brilliant. Thankfully we now have the football and rugby and the remnants of the cricket season to look forward to.

• Upvote 5

I think I read somewhere that the medals for Tokyo in 2020 are going to be made from recycled materials, the gold/silver? coming from E-waste from mobile phones/computers etc. A great idea.

I am sure that there are many on here that remember the 1964 games in Tokyo. I can remember Ann Packer winning a shock gold medal in the 800 metres.

The year before the Olympics Kyu Sakamoto released his song Sukiyaki (Ue o Muite Aruko - I look up as I Walk) which somehow I always seem to associate, incorrectly,  with the Tokyo Olympics?

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:40 AM, radfordred said:

Breakdancing confirmed as Olympic sport for the 2024 Paris games, what next? Tiddlywinks, wellington boot throwing, pin the tail on the donkey 

Yes all of those and if I were organising the games I would get rid of all the sports rubbish and the games would consist of Snooker, Billiards, Bar Billiards, Darts, Long Alley Skittles, Table Skittles, Aunt Sally, Dominoes, Shove Ha'penny, Marbles, Bowls, both Crown Green and Flat, Cribbage, Backgammon and Three or Nine Men's Morris.

Plenty of venues available and without mortgaging the city or country to put it on.

You can probably guess I am not a fan of the Olympics, summer or winter and never watch it, the costs have become obscene and it is about time we took the trough away from the International Olympic Committee. 

Break dancing is a great idea. Gymnastics to music. Freedom of expression. 

What I really like about it is that anyone can practice and train for it anywhere and at no cost. There are 'elite' sports in the Olympics that belong to the wealthy and privilaged and that a lot of viewers don't watch or understand. I will enjoy watching the break dancers and appreciate their athletic co-ordination.

A new 'peoples sport'.

• Like 3

The problem with ‘sports’ like break dancing and gymnastics is that the judging is subjective dependent on the opinions of a panel of judges (how do you qualify to be a break dancing judge?). Other sports are more easily measured as being fastest, highest, furthest or first past the post. I might try for the Paralympic, geriatric break dancing though now that my hip is in working order.

There are several Olympic sports that are judged by a panel already. You could qualify as a break dance judge in the same way that other judges are selected ie., you become respected within your event circle. There will be some interesting judges turn up  :biggrin: It will be great fun :cool: 

Some years ago I designed a dancing aid that I named a 'Rock Stepper', but like most of my inventions it never got made. It was a circular platform/plinth the size of a dustbin lid and a foot high. There was a raised swivelling centre. The base contained a rock box and synchronised strobe lights. The idea was to use it for exercise and to develop dances with a break dance element. I had visions of getting millions made and for them to be used individually or for groups to dance to synchronised music. Had I been younger there would have been prototypes made. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Some years ago I designed a dancing aid that I named a 'Rock Stepper', but like most of my inventions it never got made. It was a circular platform/plinth the size of a dustbin lid and a foot high. There was a raised swivelling centre. The base contained a rock box and synchronised strobe lights. The idea was to use it for exercise and to develop dances with a break dance element. I had visions of getting millions made and for them to be used individually or for groups to dance to synchronised music. 

That sounds like an early version of the internet fitness programmes such as Peloton which are advertised all over TV these days.