I remember Bingham nick used to be on the A52, near to Saxondale, nowhere near Bingham!

I was taken there on my induction course in 1975, just to be shown what a teleprinter machine looked like?

(I had been using one for several weeks up till then)

Whatever happened to it did they move it to a more useful place (when?)

I drove down that part of the A52 this week and tried to identify where it had been.

The closest I can come to is a block of houses where the centre one might be the old police building.

Can anyone help?

The above might be an old police house but its not the old nick or on the A52 towards Radcliffe.

I thought it might be the pointy bit of this place?

But too new unless the front has been extended out.

This could be the site of the the old nick though?

PTP shows the old police station/court house in Church Street, Bingham. Your police station in 75 would not have been a traffic operations group HQ would it? Just a thought that will no doubt be shot down in flames.

Bingham back in my time was nothing but a market town with nothing going for it!

Bingham police station is on Grantham road, would this have been part of the A52 years ago, as the dual carriageway part from Saxondale island looks newish, although it has been like that as long as I can remember.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bingham,+UK&hl=en&ll=52.949284,-0.944009&spn=0.003711,0.008798&sll=-25.252954,-64.716241&sspn=11.393118,18.017578&oq=BIN&t=h&hnear=Bingham,+Nottinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.949283,-0.946052&panoid=XgN_3fAqaXwHqZS0EQwlHw&cbp=12,215.93,,0,4.57

I was in totally the wrong place.

I was wrong side of the A52 towards Radcliffe.

Its actually on the right of Grantham road as you leave Bingham, but I am wondering if that was the A52 in 1975? And that the A52 as we know it now was built as a bypass?

binghamnick2.jpg

Yes, the A52 which you drive along now was built as a Bingham bypass in the 1980s. Prior to that all the traffic went through the town centre, which must've been a nightmare.

No problem Cliff ton, the road was quiet.You didn't drive through the market,but kept on the main road.It turned sharp right at the end of the village and the biggest hazard at that point was ruddy chickens wandering on the road from a local smallholding.. :unsure:

Hi Poohbear

For a main road the A52 through Bingham was surprizingly quiet the busiest time was the school run for Toothill Comp and Market day on Thursday. I served out at Whatton in the 70s and have lots of happy memories of Bingham and the surrounding villages

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

As an update to this thread, Bingham Police Station on Grantham Road, closed down a few years ago and is currently being redeveloped into a Care Home. I remember when the A52 went through the centre of Bingham in the 1970’s, also went through the centre of Bottesford, both now bypassed.

There used to be a decent transport cafe on the way out of Bottesford, combined with a filling station. Spent many a Happy hour in there, when I worked at SPD.

• Like 1

Also used to be a Little Chef couple of miles afore the A1.............Plus a filling station.....last time i went that way it was back as a Transport Cafe.............Spent some times in Bingham Police station 80s 90s with shoplifting cases from the Coop in Bingham..of which there were two at one time........

• Like 1

I remember that cafe Ben. Called in there once on me way back from Boston and met my Uncle Sid Devonshire and Aunt, who had not seen for about ten years. They were on their way to Skegness.

Over 20 or 30 years traveling from Nottingham to Norfolk i think i used every roadside eating place on the A52...A17....A47........Ending in GT Yarmouth....back then there were some great places to eat....not just the Little Chefs but many good Transport Cafes....especially near Holbeach.........