IUSED TO BE AN AVID READER MYSELF BUT NOW LEADING THE BUSY LIFE I LEAD AND ALWAYS BEING DISTRACKTED BY TELLY OR COMPUTERS I DONT VERY OFTEN READ BOOKSNOW I MUST ADMIT. THE LAST ONE I READ I BROUGHT IN 2011 AND EVENTUALLY GOT ROUND TO READING IT LATE LAST YEAR BY NOTTINGHAM AUTHER ALAN DANCE NARROW MARSH FICTION BASED ON FACTUAL SOCIAL HISTORY HE HAS TOO MORE BOOKS SINCE THEN THAT I MUST GET ROUND TO BUYING LEEN TIMES WICH IS THE FOLLOW UP TO NARROW MARSH WICH I ENJOYED ONCE I GOT INTO IT ONLY TOOK ME TWO OR THREE DAYS TO READ.

BUT I ALSO LIKE HORROR BOOKS SOME OF MY FAVORITES BEING . THE EARY BOOKS OF JAMES HEARBERT THE RATS THE LAIR DOMAIN ECT

BUT IF I FIND A AUTO BIOGRAPHY OF SOME ONE I LIKE I WILL READ THEM TO.

NONE FICTIONAL SRUFF I LIKE TRAVEL AND NATURE AND THINGS TO DO WITH SOCIAL HISTORY AND THE OCCATIONAL HISTORICAL BOOK

Read anything and everything. Read all the Game of Thrones series so far, had me hooked, though don't know if I want to watch any more of the series on TV, not into seeing the gore, my imagination is enough!!! Currently reading Lorna Doone, don't know why I haven't read it before, I've read most of the classics. But then again spent 4 years working in Sissons Paperbacks on Milton Street for my Saturday job in the 70's!

I read loads and loads of 'Trivia' type books, SWMBO bought me "The Ultimate Loo book " for Christmas. over a thousand pages long and I'm over half way through it already !

On the novels side, I've got and read (At least once ) all of Ian Flemings "James Bond" books, and most of John Gardeners too (He's written about another 20 !

I also like Tom Clancey (When I can get into the mindset that is), I've started , and got about 250 pages into "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" at least three times, put it down for a few days, got distracted , then forgotten all about it !

• 7 years later...

A friend of mine is reading Memories of A Stony Broke Upbringing in Working Class Nottingham 1926 to 1946 by Sheila Florence Staples. She says she can't put it down.

I shall have to borrow it. Anyone else read it?

The author lived in Stoneleigh Terrace, off Canning Circus/Alfreton Road. No longer in existence.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I obtained a copy of the book about Stoneleigh Terrace last week. Memories of a Stony Broke Upbringing.  Very interesting. The author, Sheila Staples was born in the same year as my mother, 1926, and is possibly still alive.

The book is difficult reading at times yet, as deprived as this family was, there were many others who had it much worse.

Sheila's mother was born Louie Florence Birch in 1899. I wonder if she was related to the Chulla Birches?

There are some very good descriptions of the Alfreton Road shops and the Canning Circus area.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

The author lived in Stoneleigh Terrace, off Canning Circus/Alfreton Road. No longer in existence.

I must've missed the reference to the book about Stoneleigh Terrace from last year. Picture Nottm have a photo of the location, by the legendary Reg Baker.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm002032/posterid/ntgm002032.html

Yes, CT. There's a photo in the book of the terrace prior to its demolition in the late 70s. Tiny little houses, some with a cellar kitchen which must have been awkward. At times, the reminiscences are hilarious but the story of family conflict laid bare.  Worth a read if anyone finds a copy.

• 8 months later...

Since work ended 4 years ago ive struggled for 'Hobbies and interests''...........don't even read as much as i once did...I have in the region of 300 books....mostly Autobiographies and sporting themed.............along with many of the History of Nottingham and anything ''Spanish''...........

Anyway being bored the other day decided to move them all in their cases into the 'Hallway''........what a job...i do enjoy re planning the furniture etc in the Bungalow...even though its quite small.......i was best part of 3 hours getting everything cleaned and re-sited........going through all my books brought back lots of memories.......of when and where i bought them.....many had little notes inside with the date..place and who i was with when purchased.....

For some reason when i had finished i had a spare shelf.......and decided to select half a dozen Biographies with pictures of some of my favourite characters turned facing out...and Michael Caine...Ray Winstone...Peter Bowles....George Best..Jimmy Greaves...Freddie Starr..........were my chosen ones........

reasons for my selections.......Jimmy Greaves........best goal scorer England ever had....and great on TV with Ian St John....

Always enjoyed Michael Caine films...

Ray Winstone..........my favourite ''Cockney Geezer...'''

Peter Bowles......always very smart...could play serious or comedy...plus almost local...

Freddie Starr......just about the funniest bloke ever.......

And finally the greatest footballer of our time........Georgie Boy''....and i had the honour of ten minutes with him over a drink.......

Same as i said......sadly got no hobbies......hope i did'nt bore you........but i enjoyed telling you all that.........if i had a larger Bungalow could make it a 'HOBBY'

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Just added a Lady to my favourites list........and she looks good next to all the fella's.....

''''Joan Bakewell'''............The thinking mans ''Crumpet'':rolleyes:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Books and Authors

I haven't done much reading over the last year but now I can feel myself starting to relax and take an interest again. I

had built up a good collection of Philippa Gregory books, on the Plantagenet and Tudor series. I

have only three books to look for and I will have the whole series. I started with 'The Kingmakers Daughters' after which I read 'The other Boleyn Girl'. Philippa writes from historical facts mixed with lots of imagination added. I can tell you one thing for sure, I certainly wouldn't like to have lived in those 'Henry 8th days'. Bad enough being a male, but us females didn't stand a chance. I would soon have been 'Hung, Drawn and Quarted' HELP. No chance.

First book i remember reading or rather  read to us by mr eddie (alderman.w.derbyshire secondary school) it was the last lesson in english class on a friday afternoon, which was perfect !

The book in question was called THE SILVER SWORD by IAN SERRAILLIER ,

It revolve around 1940s poland and how a family was torn apart by the advancing   German army , only to be reunited in Switzerland,  the main theme of the book was kindness, generosity, and durability .

50 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Not the one I'm thinking of!

I know his sister, Cher  Wood.

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Since work ended 4 years ago ive struggled for 'Hobbies and interests''...........don't even read as much as i once did...I have in the region of 300 books....mostly Autobiographies and sporting themed.............along with many of the History of Nottingham and anything ''Spanish''...........

Anyway being bored the other day decided to move them all in their cases into the 'Hallway''........what a job...i do enjoy re planning the furniture etc in the Bungalow...even though its quite small.......i was best part of 3 hours getting everything cleaned and re-sited........going through all my books brought back lots of memories.......of when and where i bought them.....many had little notes inside with the date..place and who i was with when purchased.....

For some reason when i had finished i had a spare shelf.......and decided to select half a dozen Biographies with pictures of some of my favourite characters turned facing out...and Michael Caine...Ray Winstone...Peter Bowles....George Best..Jimmy Greaves...Freddie Starr..........were my chosen ones........

reasons for my selections.......Jimmy Greaves........best goal scorer England ever had....and great on TV with Ian St John....

Always enjoyed Michael Caine films...

Ray Winstone..........my favourite ''Cockney Geezer...'''

Peter Bowles......always very smart...could play serious or comedy...plus almost local...

Freddie Starr......just about the funniest bloke ever.......

And finally the greatest footballer of our time........Georgie Boy''....and i had the honour of ten minutes with him over a drink.......

Same as i said......sadly got no hobbies......hope i did'nt bore you........but i enjoyed telling you all that.........if i had a larger Bungalow could make it a 'HOBBY'

You'd need a big bungalow to asked that lot around for a drink up , Benjamin, keep em away from joan bakewells legs though , they might get their fingers burnted , as they were hot !!!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I must've missed the reference to the book about Stoneleigh Terrace from last year. Picture Nottm have a photo of the location, by the legendary Reg Baker.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm002032/posterid/ntgm002032.html

Am wondering if anyone on the site has access to old directories or phone books? as i'm pretty sure that the shop in the photo belonged to stan & laura lownes or lowndes in the late 60's/early 70's, my mum knew laura & i remember going into the back room through the shop many times with her but would only have been 6 or 7 at the time so i could have the wrong shop.

11 minutes ago, RadFordee said:

Am wondering if anyone on the site has access to old directories or phone books? 

Phone books are available on Ancestry.co.uk if you are a member....which I'm not, but can get free access via a library if I have the time and inclination. 

Keep watching this space.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I see that Peter Robinson has passed away. I have enjoyed many of his books, as well as the TV series Inspector Banks. He was 72. 

• 4 weeks later...