IUSED TO BE AN AVID READER MYSELF BUT NOW LEADING THE BUSY LIFE I LEAD AND ALWAYS BEING DISTRACKTED BY TELLY OR COMPUTERS I DONT VERY OFTEN READ BOOKSNOW I MUST ADMIT. THE LAST ONE I READ I BROUGHT IN 2011 AND EVENTUALLY GOT ROUND TO READING IT LATE LAST YEAR BY NOTTINGHAM AUTHER ALAN DANCE NARROW MARSH FICTION BASED ON FACTUAL SOCIAL HISTORY HE HAS TOO MORE BOOKS SINCE THEN THAT I MUST GET ROUND TO BUYING LEEN TIMES WICH IS THE FOLLOW UP TO NARROW MARSH WICH I ENJOYED ONCE I GOT INTO IT ONLY TOOK ME TWO OR THREE DAYS TO READ.

BUT I ALSO LIKE HORROR BOOKS SOME OF MY FAVORITES BEING . THE EARY BOOKS OF JAMES HEARBERT THE RATS THE LAIR DOMAIN ECT

BUT IF I FIND A AUTO BIOGRAPHY OF SOME ONE I LIKE I WILL READ THEM TO.

NONE FICTIONAL SRUFF I LIKE TRAVEL AND NATURE AND THINGS TO DO WITH SOCIAL HISTORY AND THE OCCATIONAL HISTORICAL BOOK

Read anything and everything. Read all the Game of Thrones series so far, had me hooked, though don't know if I want to watch any more of the series on TV, not into seeing the gore, my imagination is enough!!! Currently reading Lorna Doone, don't know why I haven't read it before, I've read most of the classics. But then again spent 4 years working in Sissons Paperbacks on Milton Street for my Saturday job in the 70's!

I read loads and loads of 'Trivia' type books, SWMBO bought me "The Ultimate Loo book " for Christmas. over a thousand pages long and I'm over half way through it already !

On the novels side, I've got and read (At least once ) all of Ian Flemings "James Bond" books, and most of John Gardeners too (He's written about another 20 !

I also like Tom Clancey (When I can get into the mindset that is), I've started , and got about 250 pages into "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" at least three times, put it down for a few days, got distracted , then forgotten all about it !

• 7 years later...

A friend of mine is reading Memories of A Stony Broke Upbringing in Working Class Nottingham 1926 to 1946 by Sheila Florence Staples. She says she can't put it down.

I shall have to borrow it. Anyone else read it?

The author lived in Stoneleigh Terrace, off Canning Circus/Alfreton Road. No longer in existence.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I obtained a copy of the book about Stoneleigh Terrace last week. Memories of a Stony Broke Upbringing.  Very interesting. The author, Sheila Staples was born in the same year as my mother, 1926, and is possibly still alive.

The book is difficult reading at times yet, as deprived as this family was, there were many others who had it much worse.

Sheila's mother was born Louie Florence Birch in 1899. I wonder if she was related to the Chulla Birches?

There are some very good descriptions of the Alfreton Road shops and the Canning Circus area.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

The author lived in Stoneleigh Terrace, off Canning Circus/Alfreton Road. No longer in existence.

I must've missed the reference to the book about Stoneleigh Terrace from last year. Picture Nottm have a photo of the location, by the legendary Reg Baker.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm002032/posterid/ntgm002032.html

Yes, CT. There's a photo in the book of the terrace prior to its demolition in the late 70s. Tiny little houses, some with a cellar kitchen which must have been awkward. At times, the reminiscences are hilarious but the story of family conflict laid bare.  Worth a read if anyone finds a copy.