After Paul's performance at Friday's Olympics opening ceremony, I was interested to hear people's views on Paul McCartney who closed events.

There seemed to be some sort of mess-up during his rendition of Hey Jude where he was out of synch with his backing track or whatever. It didn't look great and it seems that he wasn't looking too happy about it afterwards either.

On another note, I couldn't help but be slightly taken aback at Macca's facial appearance directly after the Diamond Jubilee concert. He's clearly had a bit of 'work' done but hey that's his business. I thought, and I'm not trying to be unkind, that he looks - well - kinda strange these days.

paul-mccartney_5.jpg

I want to say straight away that I would never conduct a hatchet job on the great ex-Beatle. Paul McCartney was a hero to me as a kid when The Beatles were the biggest band on earth. He has written some drop-dead gorgeous ballads, Let it Be, The Long and Winding Road et al. that are the work of pure genius and have certainly been appreciated by me as an adult. His output at that time was second to none. For several decades afterwards though his great songs have been few and far between. Maybe I'm Amazed is a stand out for me and certainly Live and Let Die was a terrific Bond tune. There have been a few others but there have also been some less salubrious moments that have counterbalanced things, The Frog Chorus and some other pretty dire stuff. it brings to mind John Lennon's famous quote about his former friend and song writing collaborator, 'How do you sleep at night' (talking about the lack of quality in the songs that Paul was writing after The Beatles imploded.

sir%20paul%20mccartney%20feb%202012-thumb-440x621-174681.jpg

I'm a person who loves to see great artists have longevity in their careers - not to be written off but to continue to produce at a high level into an advanced age. It has and can be done - that has been proven by quite a few blues artists to quote one genre. I have though long thought that Macca might be spoiling the legacy that we will remember him by. Some younger people in particular see nothing but an apparent has-been. A 'granddad' of popular music that can't cut it any more. It's a harsh view and maybe McCartney deserves better considering his peerless place in pop's lineage. I think many though, although he will always have a huge fan base, are quietly thinking it's time he quit and leave us with the rich memories he has woven.

Sure she was instrumental Mick but other diverse things were happening to the Fabs at the time. Paul, I think missed being on the road, he was a big advocate of Klein as their manager too if I have that right.

As was said by a music critic of Frank Sinatras' failing voice..."I just wish that when Frank announces his retirement he wouldn't do it through a revolving door."

Let's face it these mega stars are surrounded by a clique of yes men and advisers who wouldn't state the obvious in case it upset 'the boss'

That 1st photo looks as though he has had a good smack to the side of the face and make-up is covering the bruising OR he has had a minor stroke judging by how the side of his face has drooped.

Trouble is, people like this never seem to know when to pack it in. His back catalogue speaks for itself and he has (co)written more great songs than probably anyone else on the planet. I can still listen to Beatles material and be impressed and amazed - especially considering what else was around at the time they were doing it. But there seems to be some instinct which prevents these people from seeing that they are past their peak, and they are turning into a joke version of themselves.

There number of people who think "who is he? what did he do?" will get bigger because they will have no memory or knowledge of what he did. Anyone under the age of 40 wasn't even born when the Beatles split, so for those people the Beatles don't have much relevance other than being something their parents told them about.

McCartney should retire from performances and just sit around counting his money. In that way, he won't spoil the memory or his reputation.

A couple of years ago my wife and I went to see Bob Dylan.

He looked as if he had been dug up to play the gig, his voice sounded as though he still had a mouth full of gravel.

Despite this,he brought the house down,'singing' his old songs,his best number was 'Desolation Row'.

Macca,and Dylan, are both legends of music in our time,it would seem that they live for their music,and maybe that is why people still go to see them.

I first saw the Beatles on tour with Gene Pitney,1963? Dylan I saw in 66.

Will the music of Lennon/ McCartney,and Dylan be seen as classical music in the next century?. :unsure:

Yes, it probably will. Good music will last forever, irrespective of the genre. Some people say they don't like classical music but think that the Moody Blues are fantastic. If you listen to the Moody Blues you will understand what I mean. Some people don't like Rock & Roll but when the DJ plays some at the end of the night, suddenly the dance floor is full. A Frank Sinatra song, that was recorded about 60 years ago, comes on the radio and you sing along to it without having to think of the lyrics. Yes, mudgie49, in my opinion the music of people like Lennon/McCartney, Bob Dylan and others will last forever.

Hear, hear! Right on target Michael.

The only issue I have with some singers is that they should retire gracefully and accept their voices are not what they used to be. On this point, I fully agree with Cliff ton (post # 8) and his statement would embrace a whole host of singers that we grew up with.

I enjoyed Meatloaf, particularly 'Bat out of Hell' but; nowadays his voice has gone. The AFL out here hired him to sing at the Grand Final a couple of years ago and he was pathetic! Forgotten words and out of tune with a backing group that saved him and covered his mumbled words. Little to no applause from nearly 90,000 people, a roasting in the papers the next day and Meatloaf left Oz saying it was the fault of the acoustics and that he would not be back.

It was interesting to see that the local media drew a comparison between Meatloaf at the Grand Final and Paul at the Olympics. As I did not see or hear Paul at the Olympics, I cannot comment.

What I will say however, is that Paul, the Beatles, the Stones and all the singers that I grew up with will remain stars and their music will live forever and deservedly so!

Sadly, some voices will not go on forever and like old boxers, those singers should retire with dignity and not become parodies of their former selves.

I missed Paul McCartney's performance at the opening ceremony and have been you tubing and googling trying to find it. Can find the video of Princess Di and Elvis's wedding but not this. Has anyone found it? As others have said he is not the first to not know when to hang up his microphone. Bing Crossby did some dire stuff late in his career. I can't judge as I havent heard it.

Thanks Michael. I did find this one but my wife assures me this is not the one as he was wearing a suit at the opening !!!!!. I'm confused and I am not going to tell her shes wrong but between you and me I think she is. Thanks. It's not his best is it.

:) I don't think it matters what age Paul McCartney is; he's a creative being, always has been and always will be.

There'll always be people who want to follow him, whether from the beginning or later on in his career.

Music is what Paul loves doing; who can question his faithful love for creating and making music? So rock on Sir Paul. :)

• 9 years later...