Hi all,

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here as I'm quite a newbie (only posted a couple of items) but I'm a bit of a lurker on here and read posts in the forum most day's as I'm very interested in the history of Nottingham - particularly old railways, Nottingham at war and industrial stuff.

What I have noticed on the forums over the past couple of months is the homophobia there is on this forum, granted there isn't a lot, just the odd comment here and there but as a gay man I do notice it and find it a bit odd in this day and age.

To be fair, the comments are few and far between and most people wouldn't notice it.

I know people have 'freedom of speech' and I accept that, I'm in not the sort of bloke who makes a big issue of my sexuality - I'm just a normal bloke who happens to be attracted to the same sex rather than the opposite sex.

As I say, I love this forum but there have just been one or two comments that have gone against the grain in the past couple of months.

Thanks for listening !!!

Tim :-)

"What I have noticed on the forums over the past couple of months is the homophobia there is on this forum, granted there isn't a lot, just the odd comment here and there but as a gay man I do notice it and find it a bit odd in this day and age"

What do you find odd ? Most people accept homosexuality because they are constantly told it is "normal" behaviour, when it isn't.

I don't condsider Homosexuality as normal behaviour, BUT, if that floats your boat then get on with it. So long as you don't bother me with it !.

• Upvote 2

I rest my case !!!

What case ?

I am certainly not homophobic, each to their own. I don't like chinese food either, does that make me a Racist ?

All the years I have been a member of this forum I have never seen a homophobic comment. Are you sure you are not being over zealous in condemning posters who don't accept your particular lifestyle ?

Like I previously said, if it floats your boat....................

That is homophobia of the highest order ... Would the moderators please delete my profile from this forum ... I will NOT be using it again ... I'll find a local history forum where people are more tolerant ... Goodbye !!!!

Don't make me laugh !

My Stepdaughter is a Lesbian ! Notice I don't say "Gay" call a spade a spade, she hates it when I say "Lesbian" cos she is a "LESBIAN". but, I love her to bits, that doesn't make me homophobic. I just don't accept her sexual way of life thats all.

Tim, calm down & don't be so touchy !

You arn't doing your cause any favours. !

Lets not let this get too heated....catfans opinions are his own and that is all....people are people....some you like some you dont.....you cant dislike someone you dont know.

Never judge a book by its cover is an old saying and is said for very good reason.

One persons opinion is NOT the opinion of everyone else...so Tim dont let it put you off the forum.......just read the bits that interest you....thats what most folk do.

You know ... When I made this original comment I knew this would be the sort of response I would get ... As I said ... I didn't want to ruffle any feathers ...

I have an actively gay stepson his boy friend(from Denmark) stays here(they share the same bed) as often as he can so I have no issue with homosexuality.

And I have not noticed anything anti gay on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Like it or lump it there are people who do not like or accept homosexuality in the same way there are those who don't like people with a different religion or skin color etc. That is human nature. You can try to educate people but prejudice is often deep rooted and not necessarily logical or fair.

I don't think catfan was being homophobic in fact saying clearly if it floats your boat, get on with it. Just don't bother him with it. Don't confuse a forum made up of the general public with the press, media and council and government etc.where they will be sensitive to any homophobia, racism etc. Political correctness has reached ridiculous levels in some cases. I have a number of gay female friends who I am very fond of and know a couple of gay men (I am a straight male). What they do in there personal life is entirely their business. I don't condone it but I don't want it thrown at me.

I am sorry you find some comments offensive. You shouldn't have to. I can't say I have noticed any homophobic comments but as you say, I'm not looking for them.

Generally I think that most today are fairly tollerent of gay people. I have seen women and men holding hands in public. Sure they get the odd head turned but nothing more than that. Maybe as it does not concern me I don't see it.

Perhaps now you have mentioned it people will be a little more sensitive as to what they post.

Adding to my above post I have not noticed any thing anti gay while I have been a member of this forum.

One other small point IF anyone is offended by a posting they can always report it to admin giving their reasons and if justified admin will remove the offending post

I have had posts removed on other forums I am a member of.

• Upvote 1

Can't say I've noticed any homophobic comments on this forum, as you say Tim "Most people would'nt notice it" so I assume rightly or wrongly one needs to be "gay" to read into comments something that is not really there, In saying that I'm pleased you enjoy this great forum and it would be a shame if you left us, so please get posting about "Railways,Nottingham at war and Industrial stuff" as your opening post states and perhaps we can all benefit from your knowledge of such.

Rog

Must admit I also hadn't noticed any anti-gay comments on these pages; along with other mods, I would've considered deleting or hiding them if I felt they broke forum rules.

As others have said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject as long as they don't start ranting or being offensive. There have been occasions where people have posted opinions on topics which I personally don't agree with, but I wouldn't complain about them provided they were just saying "this is where I stand on the subject".

Hopefully it is possible to accept someone else's view, even if you don't necessarily agree with it. Tolerance should come from both sides - on this particular subject, we should be able to accept there are people who are gay, even if you don't agree with it; and gays should accept that there may be people who are not sympathetic to their viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

Already mentioned several times, where are the original comments that resulted in this thread?

we have never had any reports via the report this post button?

I have worked with gay people who I consider friends, in fact as a union official I did my best to protect a gay man who was victimised. The Union would not help. I left that union and joined another.

Another gay 'employee', who spider will know, was objectionable in his behaviour.

I am trying to think how I would feel if a gay man referred to my sexuality as "whatever floats your boat"?

Would I be offended? Thinking about it I would find it amusing. But each to his own opinion.

If it was said and I told the person it was offensive, I would expect him to understand.

And if we delete your profile how can we keep this thread going?

I think there is a need for understanding on all sides.

What a load of cobblers...I haven't seen any untoward comments on here.There might have been one or two mentioning Albert Brown in the old days doing his impression of Nottinghams Quentin Crisp...and I'm making that up because I can't remember.

This is a forum for Christs sake,people from all walks of life come on here.If somebody has a dig at you because they don't agree with your religion or lifestyle...hard luck.As long as the post isn't openly abusive....move on.

I was accused of being ageist on one forum the other week by some old bat...as I told her I'm 67 for Gods sake,don't talk so stupid.

We don't need this PC claptrap on here...it's bad enough the thought police telling us what to think and say.If I openly worship Satan and state the fact I can expect some Bible thumper slagging me off...So?...Big deal!

• Upvote 1

I am pretty sure I know who you mean Mick2ke. At the meadows I recall. A total plonker. It can be the case though. You get nice people and total t**ts whatever their sexuality race or religion. The thing is not to judge them because of their S R or R. The gay man I know that I refered to in my post I have know for about 40 years. He is the son of a neigbour of my mum so knew each other when we were teenagers. He used to go out with my cousin (female) before he changed sides. Nice chap. I see him occaionally as he keeps his motorhome at his mums. I managed to keep a straight face (no pun intended) when he was picking it up recently. I asked him where he was off to and he told me 'Cockermouth'

Hope that is not offensive Tim.

You are right Spider, it is he.

The other employee ended up resigning due to the abuse he got.

Sad loss as well, what a character. I still have him as a friend on facebook.

'This day and age', not all people tolerate gay men and women,as a gay man you should know this,because your nearest and dearest accept your sexual choice, doesn't mean the rest of society has to do so.

I have seen no open anti gay comments on this site.

If you knew what the response would be to your post, why bother posting,the correct thing to do is make a complaint to admin'.

'Live, and let live',is the way I get by in my daily life.

So my friend,I hope you will stay,and share your interests with us,you will find this site helpful, interesting and friendly. Bryan.

I dont like the term Homophobia, it indicates a fear. which IMO does not accurately describe those who do not agree with the gay culture.

I dont count myself as one of those. My first contact with 'gay' people was in the around 1971. The back bar at the Dog and Partridge was

the place to go if you were gay. I used to go in there with my then fiance. Always enjoyed the company.

Why the need to even mention sexual preferences? Interests mentioned were Nottingham at war, railways, industrial stuff. In my experience folks on this forum are very accepting and easy to get along with. If you read something you may not like ignore it and enjoy talking about the things that interest you.

I seem to remember `commenting about Albert Brown Who was the openly gay guy around Nottingham who got locked up a number of times

Back then it was against the law.

Look - I am a Bible-believing Christian. Whilst there are occasional expletives and other language that I might dislike, I don't expect everyone to get upright and think, "Oh, Stephen might be reading this - we'd better watch our p's and q's." That would be daft, and it would seriously inhibit the free play of comments. I have seen just a very few comments that touch on the subject raised by Tim, but it was not my impression that any of them were made with malicious intent. When we have guests to dinner we invariably say, "If there's anything you don't like, just leave it." I read the forums in that light - there are subjects I am not interested in, so I don't bother reading them. There are occasional words I dislike, but I'm not going to become a pain in the neck by mounting a crusade - I just leave them on the side of the plate and move on.

• Upvote 1