The good thing about a forum is you only have to let people know things about yourself that you want them to know.

If you don't tell people where you live you could be anywhere on the planet.

And if you don't issue a photograph of your self or use your real name..........................You could be famous and no one would know.

So advice if you don't want people to know certain aspects of you self don't tell the world by posting it on here.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Look ... I'm really sorry if I upset anyone with my post yesterday, that wasn't my intention at all.

One of the members has replied with this ...

"I suspect that he chose this easy going forum for his groundless rant on purpose. On a lot of other forums the responses would have been a lot less polite...."

This is not fair, I'm a bloke who keeps myself to myself and I certainly don't shout about my sexuality, I'm just a normal, easy going bloke who has a major interest in local history, and I certainly didn't post this to "an easy going forum for his groundless rant on purpose".

I was a little harsh on reflection saying that some posts were a bit homophobic, what I should have said was there were a couple of post in the past that made me take notice.

The two posts were ...

The post about public toilets, a couple of people mentioned that they had closed due to "Inappropriate activities". Maybe I'm being a little sensitive but no one actually said that they might have closed for other reasons. Yes I know "Inappropriate activiites" have happened in male public toilets in the past but it just made me feel a little bit uneasy and maybe it came across to me as a little one sided.

I read a recent post yesterday about improvements to the Forest. I noticed someone had said "Homosexuals and Lesbians will be getting their own toilets next". I don't quite know what this meant but again, maybe I'm being a little over sensitive but it made me feel a little uneasy and made me take notice.

I will say again, I really didn't want to offend anyone with my post. I have noticed that a few of the replies have been quite harsh, and some of the replies have been quite supportive which is nice.

I'm just a bloke from Basford with a keen interest in old railways, world war two, old industrial staff and old Nottingham in general and I find this forum very useful and an interesting read.

I hope we can forget this matter now and move on, I hate confrontation and again I'm really sorry, I'm probably being a little over sensitive.

Hope no one hates me too much, and if anyone wants me to leave the forum, I will go.

Thanks

Tim :-)

Tim

As one of a rank and file of regular visitors here I appreciate your post above. I also, in some ways, understand the reasons for your initial post. I would agree that some replies have been supportive and reasonable and one or two a little harsh and missing the point -that's the way of forums and a mix of people though I guess.

I would have been one of perhaps two or three or posters who used the 'inappropriate activities' term on a thread elsewhere. I think you should be aware though that I was referring to not only those of a sexual nature but also very much the modern day curse of drug dealing. In my mind regarding that was the public toilet approaching Bestwood Lodge Hotel and others which suffered that problem. I do however, think that any straight/gay sexual activities in a public toilet can fairly be termed 'inappropriate' and offensive to the general public. I do also feel in that instance, if not others, that you were a little sensitive and that nothing personal was intended. For example, I wouldn't wish to take any children in my care into such a facility with such sexual activites occurring. You sound an exceedingly reasonable man and I am sure you can take that point though.

I try to be an enlightened person, I'm not perfect and sometimes I fail in that but the accent remains on being as good as I can be, whatever that is. I certainly have no problem with anyone's sexuality and attempt at all times to be aware of my own prejudices. As a psychologist I understand many of the reasons why people's thoughts, desires and behaviours are so disparate. My understanding is certainly that one's sexuality is not a 'choice' - nor something that 'floats your boat' - It's who you are and part of your identity and there should never be a need to justify that to anyone.

On reading your opening post I had assumed you were perhaps referring to some of the terminology that is used by some people on this (and other) forae. I don't think any ill is meant by it but it reminds me in some ways of the debate regarding racism and the vocabulary that surrounds it - do the words used indicate innate racism? That's a huge debate and not for here perhaps but to me it does indicate that your initial posting brings up an interesting and thought provoking question, so it's worthwhile talking about if people can hang on to their hats and remain civilised about it. Listen to others' points of view and learn.

I genuinely hope that you continue to read and contribute to some of the great and interesting stuff found upon this site. It sounds like you have much to say. Not least, I appreciate a wee bit of diversity which is always a healthy thing.

Keep posting!

Stu

i am all for equal ops for everyone and will stand up and help fight anbodys corner all beit not very high up , although i am openly hetrosexual and been married for nearly 40 years i have many homosexual lesbian and bisexual friends and they and their friends know of my personal views on this and yes some people arnt always politicaly correct in the way they sometimes put things on there posts it is often toungh in cheek and some people may get offended as a regular on this site for some time now i have seen things that i could find offencive about me personally and my spelling is crap because i am dyslexic and some people have made comments about it but do i take offence no thats there loss if they dont like me pesonally . i am me and always will be. so tim dont let the views off a few puut you off a great forum with things that you are interested in just think to yourself they are the ones who really will miss out in life in the end.

• Upvote 1

thanks stu most of you that know me to talk to realize that on a personal basis i am very articulate and quite capable of standing up for myself and others but like every one there are times when things get to you as they do to me sometimes but you have to ignore or give back as good as you get and get on with life or the bullies and ig norant people out there have won and im to good for them.

I always thought being called a "dirty old man" was a compliment!