Jacky Pownall Second Hand Shop

Does anyone remember Jacky Pownalls Second Hand Shop on Carlton Road opposite King Edwards Park. As a child we used to go in there to swop our Superman and Batman comics. If we sold them he gave us 2d (That is two pence in old money).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was b

I don't remember it but if a room in our house was untidy my Mum would say "It's like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere"!

Hi My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was r

:) Jacky Pownall's was on Alfreton Road (a little further down from Canning Circus) but perhaps there were others.

Compo mentions a second hand shop on Carlton Road.

I believe Jacky Pownall had quite a few interests; wasn't he an affluent man?

You are right Jackson. I used to go and look in the window of Jacky Pownell's place which was on Alfreton Road not far from where I lived in Radford. It was a little way down Alfreton Road from the junction with Bentinc Road/ Hartly Road below the Church that was there. He had about 3 large windows which were never cleaned and it was a challenge to see what was there. I am talking about the mid to late 1960's and am not so sure it was a 'shop' as such, more like a place he stored stuff. I know that once or twice a few of us had a bit of scrap we had cobbled together and took it to a yard that was through a gate and probably at the back of these shops and may have been part of it. I know my dad used to say if the house was in a mess that 'it looks like Jacky Pownall's in here'. I dare say he had places all over the City. Certainly a well known name.

Didnt Pownals have a place under the old railway yard on Manvers Street.

In the 60s this was empty and had lots of Fridges in, and there were lots of length of metal chain.

I have a feeling it was used for storing Bananas at some time. Fyffes?

you are all right jackie poundal lhad several places around nottingham inncluding all the ones mentioned. jackson jackie was a very affluent man in his later life but he came from very humble beginings was born and brought up in a large family in the sneinton area of nottingham in the 1920 he and two off his brothers plus two cousins lodge with my grand mother he started his business life around this time as a rag and bone man with a small hand cart gradually working up to a hourse and cart in the 30s he rented the house and lands just near the bridge on manvers st dealing in cloths and furniture and gradually accuired shops around the less affluent arreas of nottingham buying and selling second had goods and moving things from one shop to the other , so local people did not know who had had to sell there posesions in order to suvivefrom that he moved on to buying in acutions selling this on into the bussiness it was to become. but he never forgot his humble beginings and the people who had helped him along his way .

his two brothers and cousins also started doing the same ting as jackie all taking different areas of the city as there rounds but none didquite so well as he did . his cousin albert marshal still had a horse and car untill the early sixties and worked around sneinton dal and st anns area his horse was called hurculies and was a big piebald shire hourse albert marshall lodged with my grandmother untill she died in the late 50s andlived in her house in westminster terrace st anns untill it was demollished then he went to live near sneinton market on boston st untill his death in the seventies.

bit before my time this pic but this was proberly his first shop. yes his real name was john but always know as jackie from very young.

:) I remember going into Jackie Pownall's (Alfreton Road) when I was a kid and being fascinated by the place.

Every now and again my grandma would have a clear out and take aged woollens up to Jackie's; she told us that he paid more for woollens as opposed to ordinary cottons.

Was it true Babs that Jackie was supposed to be a good looker - resembling Errol Flynn? I'm sure Joan Wallace the Nottingham writer told me this. :)

Every now and again my grandma would have a clear out and take aged woollens up to Jackie's; she told us that he paid more for woollens as opposed to ordinary cottons.

In the early fifties the local rag and bone man was offering £1 for a full carrier bag of woolens...it was in such short supply.

And that was a lot of money in those days.

from what i remember of uncle jackie and he was in his forties or earlie fifties by then he was not a bad looking guy so i would think he would have been quite a nice looking man when he was younger in thosedays photoes were few and far between and i carnt remember seeing any of him or my dad around that time they would not have had the money to have profesional ones taken. he was always a nice man to me as a child.unlike his daughter who really thought she was better than most of us girls at school she was always bragin about their swimming pool but what she did not tell people was that 90 per cent of the time it was full of her dads srap metal. those of us who had been to the house used to laugh at her.

Once smashed up an old upright piano for some neighbours I was about 12 yrs old, took me 2 days, just to get the lead weights from the keys, lugged them all the way to JP's, from Aspley to Alfreton road & got 1/3d.................................. :biggrin: :biggrin: blew the lot on Palm Toffee bars & Jubblies........

Did Jackie Pownall ever have a scrap yard off Mapperley Plains somewhere near the top of Spring Lane?

That belonged to a chap called Roger Hibbert.... well known in railway preservation circles.

• 3 months later...

Podders was started by a bloke called Adrian Massey, ran the Podder lane outfit then it outgrew the premises and he managed somehow to get the big yard on Nottm road Bank hill.

He then moved into tyres and new spare parts but his core business was scrap cars. He made a fair bit out of me as my cars of the day survived on second hand parts !

A junior school mate of mine lived at the far end of Podder lane in the last house before the pit slag heaps, colliery house I think, as his dad was a watchman at the North end of the heaps.

I used to go rabbiting on the edges of the heaps with my older brother in later years.

I believe the Bank hill yard is still a scrap yard ( well was July 2011 when I drove past).

Also remember the rag and bone man in St Annes with the big shire horse and cart, my grandma used to save silver paper from fag packets and chocalate bars etc. and make these big balls of it and get a few coppers for it, also all the old rags and woollens, then give it to the blind institute, as her younger brother came back from the great war, blinded from mustard gas, and the institute was very good to him she used to say.

Believe one of the Pownal family had the pub at the top of Whimsey park, the Elwess or Elwiss I think. He had a gold coloured Roller (RR) he used to swan around in.

• Upvote 1

It's great banjo that you are sharing your memories with us. So many newbies come on, introduce themselves, are welcomed, then zip, zilch, nada, not another peep out of them! Keep it up, it's lovely having you on here.

• Like 1