Jacky Pownall Second Hand Shop

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was b

I don't remember it but if a room in our house was untidy my Mum would say "It's like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere"!

Hi My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was r

the rag and bone man was proberly albert poundall cousin of jackie his horse a big black and white shire called herculeesse this was before steptoe and son .

uncle a;bert as i knew him as had a club foot and walked with a limp.

Thanks Katyjay

I'm still working my way through the old posts, so there's probably more memories going to spring up as I do !

My missus thinks I'm starting to talk Nottinghamamian again since I joined here ! and I'm driving her mad asking questions as she grew up in Carlton on the pit estate on Valley road, her dad was a miner in the Duram coalfields before moving to the "new" Gedling pit.

Piggy & Babs

Remember the horse and the old fella with a limp, gran and him were like old friends and shared a pot of tea when he came calling.

But little more.

I often now curse myself for not asking more questions of our older family members when they were still alive as so many of my past blank spots would have been filled in.

We like most familys have a few old skeletons banging around the cupboards I think :-)

Not sure if relevent to the prison camp but I'm fairly sure there was a war time pill box on the corner of Woodborough road Bank hill or along that road somewhere.

Podders mention it briefly on their website:

'The premises were formerly a World War Two prisoner of war camp which is readily accessible from Mansfield, Derby and Leicester'

http://www.poddersnottingham.co.uk/

Looks like we're talked about it before, and the pill box which is still there (post #50):

http://nottstalgia.c...opic=4769&st=40

I've been following this thread regarding Jacky Pownall and was surprised that nobody mentioned the place he had on Meadow Lane. It was on the right hand side as you approached Sneinton Hermitage. I can remember going to a bonfire there when I was a kid. I also remember eating hot chestnuts for the first time and thinking how horrible they were. It must have been on a different night to our own bonfire which we had on wasteland on the corner of Moreland Street and Freeth Street. I've mentioned this on a past thread. When I was a teenager I used to go to the Locarno, sometimes at night and sometimes at lunchtime. I had a few friends there who would always be in the far corner and they included Johnny Pownall, Cupe, Joey Martin and Knocker Weston. Johnny Pownall had a place on Bath Street a few years ago but I'm not sure if he still has it.

Michael, re' the above;

• Is Cupe from Clifton, drove a mini, & has he now passed on?
  • Was it Bath Street Stores, large shop/warehouse of ex-MOD stuff as well as 2nd hand?

Quite right Michael, Jackie Pownall did have a large building on Meadow Lane, rumour had it that he was going into 'boxing promotion'?

His Sneinton yard was just through the Manvers St. railway bridge and I understood he lived in the detached house the other side of the bridge on the Sneinton Hermitage. The goods yard above in the mid 50s was only used by the banana warehouse & Jackies wagons of ex WD surplus destined for his Bath St. store, I still have a hand drill & brace bought there for half a crown each(12 1/2p). Hintons owned the warehouse the bananas being ripened by the gas lights/heatand the LMS rifle club used the loading dock until Ffyfes took over. The much overgrown entrance being that blue brick opening near the 'new' road junction, is that a monument to Jackie outside it looks as if its made with scrap metal?

• Upvote 1

Paulus, I hope your wrong about Cupe because he was a really nice guy and I think your right about Bath Street Stores.

lynmee, denshaw is correct when he states that Tricketts was on Trent Lane. Joey Martin was always laughing whereas' Knocker Weston was always up for a fight. He'd wait for the right moment and then the 'nut' went in followed by a hit. That was normally enough to finish things. I vaguely remember that, after coming out the Locarno at night, we used to go to a small restaurant in the Lace Market for supper. Did your hubbie (as you call him) go to the Locarno around this time?. I also remember one night when Johnny Pownall had an American pick-up truck and everyone piled into the back. Nice to see you posting again, Albert.

as i have said in previus post albert lived with my granma for many years from the 1930 untill grama died mid 60s first in colwick rd abd snenton hermitage then on westminster terace st anns he continued to live there untill they pulled it down when he moved to boston st near sneinton market in a masonette now demolished untill his death in the 70s. dose your other half remember the baker family who lived on caverton avenue

Remember Mick Cupitt, but cannot recall from where.

Missus doesn't remember the Bakers I'm afraid, but she does know the Twichell that Katy mentioned, she used it daily to get to and from the cavo school !

And yes it was nicknamed the Alps !

banjo, tell your missus that the family at #57 was the Birch family, they had 4 girls, Audrey, Beryl, Christine and Janet [the latter born in 1945]

banjo, I had relatives at number 57 Valley Rd Carlton, a few doors from a twitchell that you accessed The Alps [was that waste land called that?]

I also had relatives on Valley Road Carlton - No. 92 - first house on the left after turning left at the bottom of Ernest Road. I think there was a patch of waste ground between the junction and the house. Didn't they build a community centre or something there later? Name was Wright - Albert and Kathleen (my dad's sister) and their sons (my cousins), Philip and David.

Was that the name of the place, lynmee, 'The Bohemian' it's such a long time ago. I've been trying to remember things from that period in my life. I was friends with Paul who was a bouncer at the Locarno and I wonder if your 'hubby' can remember a chap called 'Billo'. I remember him because he was like the James Bond character called 'Oddjob', all muscle and no kneck...lol. I recall going to the seaside with Billo, Paul and others I can't remember. It was a deserted place we went to, way off the beaten track. We saw what looked like a whale in the distance and stood there firing away with 12 bore shotguns. We knew it was too far out to get hurt but we just did it for a laugh. None of us would have harmed it if it had been closer, like I say, it was just for a laugh as we blazed away. Paul had a big camper van and Billo made breakfast for us all. Another incident I remember was a chap who always used to stand at the entrance to the Locarno. He was tall, dark featured with sideboards and dressed in black leather trousers, black leather jacket and black shirt and boots. He also wore black leather gloves and always had one hand stuck into his pocket up to his thumb. If you glanced across as you drove by you'd have thought it was a young Elvis Presley. This particular night he was stood there and someone walked up to him and hit him in the face. He probably did it because he was jealous of his 'look'. As he fell to the floor he screamed out "I can't fight, I only have one hand". Everyone there was stunned and the chap who hit him apologised and helped him to his feet. He'd always seemed a bit of a loner but after that incident I noticed a lot more people speaking to him, including myself.