Jacky Pownall Second Hand Shop

hi

seeing as no one has mentioned it there was also a jackie pownalls on St Anns well road inbetween Lotaus st and Beverly st. My other half asked did any one know Rita Pike as she married one of the Pownalls.

• Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was b

I don't remember it but if a room in our house was untidy my Mum would say "It's like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere"!

Hi My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was r

that is the Pownall's in the original question. A friend was staying with me at the time of posting and she wanted to know if anyone remembered the StAnee's Pownall's.

• 1 month later...

One of Jackie Pownall's daughter-in-laws once told me that he kept a bear in a cage in his garden! John and Michael have both died several years ago. I do believe that Adrian Massey of Podders is related to the Pownall's, his business is still going on Bank Hill. Like my Mum always said ..... there's money in muck!

The bear in the garden cage is mentioned on here elsewhere, it was in his house at the back of "The Elwes Arms " at the top of Oakdale Road. It got out whilst they were out one night and mass panic set in , so much so that a 'marksman' from the TA was called in to shoot it. It later transpired that it was really docile and would have wandered back into it's cage of it's own free will, if it had been given it the chance

Yes I was going to mention the bear.

It was a big house that looked out over the trent?

I remember Adrian Massey at Podders from around 1980, He must have retired by now?

the bear was orrignally owned by a travling showman and would be left in the garden of the earl of chesterfield carlton hill near were tescos now is after he faild to return for several weeks it was sold to jackie who used to drink in there it later turned out the oner had been sent to prison or so jackie and my dad told me. yes it was a big house and land that jackie and his family lived in even had its own swimming pool not that i ever saw any water in it always full of scrap metal.

• Upvote 1

there used to be a mick and brian cuppitt who lived number one traffic terrace netherfield in the 50s early sixties they would be mid 60s early 70s now. there dad was a railway man carnt remember if they worked in the sheds at one point too or not.

Me thinks your Dad and jackie were having you on Babs. It originaly belonged to Our member Bazza (the one in Cornwall), he bought it from a bloke in the Windsor Castle, who had bought it from a pet shop down Alfreton Road.......................................................Or so he told me !!...........LOL

Now that was to do with a bear Den. There was a fellow who used to walk his dancing bear (Bruno) to Goose Fair each year. He used to stop over night at the pub and tether said bear outside.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone remember Jacky Pownalls Second Hand Shop on Carlton Road opposite King Edwards Park. As a child we used to go in there to swop our Superman and Batman comics. If we sold them he gave us 2d (That is two pence in old money).

Wasn't Jacky a rag & bone man between the wars? I was brought up in Bulwell and his fame had spread there in the 50s

• 1 month later...

The Jacky Pownall who had the scrap yard in Sneinton was my great Grandfather, he sol the site to the post office in 1964.

That should have read, the site was sold to the then GPO in 1964. Old Jacky had been long gone by then.

• 2 weeks later...

i can remember pownalls on bath street,sold everything from pots and pans to any furniture you needed for the house,it was a regular trip to sneinton market saturdays and mondays,and if you had any cash left nip in to pownalls to try and pick up another bargain,formica table and chairs was one of their specialities

I used to go there with my dad on a Saturday. It was called Bath Street Surplus Store or something like that, don't remember it being called Jackie Pownalls, perhaps that was earlier? I used to go late 50's I should think.

It was still there in the early 80s, I think the sign is still there. I went passed Sneinton market last monday at about 10am, the only stall there was the fruit and veg, I cant see it lasting much longer.

I tend to agree with your comments about Sneinton Market although I drove by yesterday (Saturday) and it was buzzing. I don't think that the Council have achieved anything by spending so much money on the site. It just looks like a mini Old Market Square (boring) and most of the time it is used by lads on their skateboards.
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was born in Calverton in 1825 and I believe that almost anyone in Nottingham with the Pownall Name is a descendent of him. As I grew up my brother was called Jacky although this was not his name.Anyone with the name in Nottingham was referred to as Jacky Pownall. That's why you all refer to different shops which were owned by Pownalls but were different people. Jacky Pownall was married twice and I descend from the family of his first wife. He fathered 20 children that I know of, mostly males and many of his sons went into shops that were set up by him. He died in 1899 and the shop that is depicted on Picture the Past was taken over by the children of his second wife which included a John who became the Jacky that most of you talk about.

I would be very interested to hear from any other descendants

Sheila.

• Upvote 5