Jacky Pownall Second Hand Shop

Welcome to Nottstalgia Sheilastain.

Even on your first appearance you seem to have solved a major problem for us! Now we know that everybody in the Pownall family was called Jacky - regardless of their real name - it explains all the different sightings over the years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was b

I don't remember it but if a room in our house was untidy my Mum would say "It's like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere"!

Hi My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was r

• 7 months later...

His name was Albert pownall on meadow lane,had two sons mick and John,very nice people,Albert used to have boxing matches in the open air,on his property he also used to have a big bonfire ,and all the local kids we're invited he never forgot his roots,real good sneinton family.

• Upvote 1

When I was about 11 in 1964 my dad used to take his scrap to a Pownall on Alfred Street South, up on the left hand side from St Annes.

I can't remember which Pownall it was but it was a small yard with a little office on the left as you went through the gate.

I went into the office with my dad to get paid and he had a little sign on the wall that I have always remembered.

It said:

Good men came and I did trust them,

They took my money and their custom

To lose them both did grieve me sore

So I resolve to trust no more.

Dunno why I still remember it after all that time.

• Upvote 1

I remember being sent to Tricketts Colwick with bags of rage (sometimes some metal).

I recall them weighing the stuff, and handing over up to 2/6d a bag.

They always found the half brick a certain person had put in the bag though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Compo
I think this is the one you referred to in your original comment

Back of John Pownall's Yard, Alfred Street South, Nottingham, 1954

I remember going here as a child most weeks, my mum used to do repairs on clothes for people so we used to go and look for good zips and buttons on clothing. She would buy them from there take the zips and buttons off then sell them back to him. haha oh the good times!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Jack was always an abbreviation for John when I went to school. Not sure how it can be called an abbreviation though when there are the same number of letters! :huh:

Ruddington Grange is a nice place.

Been there maybe a dozen times or more for post-funeral wakes, both family and friends, and my brother in law helps control their rabbit population (with the help of his air rifle).

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone know if it's true that Jacky Pownall had a house at the corner of Southey Street? Not sure, but I tink it was a Polish club in later years. i am talking over sixty years ago, and the old memory is not so good

I've read though all this "topic" and no one seemed to mention that hanging up outside his shop in St Ann's use to be the three golden balls of a Pawn Broker.

If you wanted to pawn anything you went inside the shop, if you had rag's you had to go up the side alley, where, there used to be large scale's that you placed your rags on to be weighed, if you had woollens these were weighed on another set of scales. You would get 6d (2-1/2 pence) a pound for woollens and  2d a pound  (1p) for rags.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

This memory is a bit hazy but when I was at Berridge Road School in the mid 1960s, there was a mixed race child named, I think, Susan Pownall. She was said to have been adopted by the Pownalll family. She was slightly younger than I but must now be approaching 60.  I think she appears on one of the photos I have.