Jacky Pownall Second Hand Shop

On 5/18/2013 at 12:16 PM, Sheilastain said:

Hi Everyone

Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was born in Calverton in 1825 and I believe that almost anyone in Nottingham with the Pownall Name is a descendent of him. As I grew up my brother was called Jacky although this was not his name.Anyone with the name in Nottingham was referred to as Jacky Pownall. That's why you all refer to different shops which were owned by Pownalls but were different people. Jacky Pownall was married twice and I descend from the family of his first wife. He fathered 20 children that I know of, mostly males and many of his sons went into shops that were set up by him. He died in 1899 and the shop that is depicted on Picture the Past was taken over by the children of his second wife which included a John who became the Jacky that most of you talk about.

I would be very interested to hear from any other descendants

Sheila.

Hi

My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was really interested by your comment. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone Just joined the forum and was interested to read this thread. Jacky Pownall was my 2x Great grandfather and I have done extensive family history research. The original Jacky Pownall was b

I don't remember it but if a room in our house was untidy my Mum would say "It's like Jackie Pownall's in 'ere"!

Hi My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was r

I knew Vic Pownall very well. He told me he owned the Clinton Rooms and the next door property back in the 70's. His family was huge and his half brothers (Micheal?) ran McIntyres scrap in Dunkirk. I'm not sure if it was his father or grandfather that had a barn conversion near Holme Peirrepont. Quite a big place, two story garage and a showmans caravan in the garden that he took great delight in telling me it was  home to a single budgerigar.

57 minutes ago, David Pownall said:

Hi

My name is David I am the Grandson of Albert Pownall (he owned the bear that people talk about) and my Father was Micheal Pownall. I am currently looking into our family history/tree and was really interested by your comment. 

Hi David and welcome to Nottstalgia.

I’ve met your Mum and Dad on a few occasions as we have mutual friends.  I also believe you and I were both on a birthday cruise to Hamburg about 3 years ago.  Might have been another of the many Pownalls though! 

• 1 month later...

Hello David

It is always good to make contact with fellow family history researchers. According to my family tree programme you are my 3rd cousin once removed. I believe that at some time in the past my sister was in touch with someone who called herself Terry Pownall and we thought that she was your wife. I believe that your mother is Rita and is still alive.

We are descended from Tom Pownall b 1860 to John (Jacky) Pownall and Emma Carver. I believe that you are descended from Edgar born to John and Emma in 1863.

We would be particularly interested to know if you have any old photographs of the many Pownalls and to know how far you have managed to get with your research. If you wish to keep in touch please let me have your email address.

Sheila

On 8/2/2012 at 4:53 PM, .... said:

Did Jackie Pownall ever have a scrap yard off Mapperley Plains somewhere near the top of Spring Lane?

Wasn't that Podders? Still there, as far as I know.

Hi David, Are you who I think you are? (Son of Michael & Annette, Grandson of Ted & Lil, now based in NZ)? If so, we should compare family photos etc. on your next visit. The older generations are disappearing fast, and we who are left have ever-shorter memories.

• 2 years later...

I remember John Pownall of the Pownall family. He ran Macintyre's scrap metals at Dunkirk. I think he also owned a golf club at Ruddington. He died a couple of years ago. I knew him through the Sherwood Flying club where he obtained an instructor's rating. He bought an ex RAF Jet Provost (as you do!) and was taught to fly it by an ex RAF squadron leader who was the CFI at Sherwood and used to instruct on Provosts at RAF Syerston.

• 4 weeks later...

As kid I was always snooping around Pownall's on Alfreton Rd opposite Skills toy shop,did this site later  become the Windmill pub. I believe one of the Pownalls owned the big house on the right at the bottom of Southey St, later on to become a club.

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2012 at 2:12 AM, mary1947 said:

hi

seeing as no one has mentioned it there was also a jackie pownalls on St Anns well road inbetween Lotaus st and Beverly st. My other half asked did any one know Rita Pike as she married one of the Pownalls.

Yes Mary that's the one we used to go to as nippers always taking a pramful of woollens , beverley street was near Leicester street where we lived before demolitioned , we then moved to Bilborough,  Denewood crescent.