Flint's newsagents Alfreton Road Radford

Does anyone remember Flints newsagents which was on Alfreton Road roughly opposite the Spread Eagle near Bentinck Road/Hartley Road junction. It was next door to Eric's shoe shop. It was run and owned by my wife’s grandparents and she lived there for the first few years of her life.

Yes I remember same Paper Shop.

mid 60s. Just round the corner on Hartley Rd was a butcher, I was his butchers lad.

I wish I could remember his name?

The butchers was Buxtons. I have trawled picture the past and never found anything. Your link, Cliff Ton, shows the general area okay but no real detail. Thanks for looking. I have a couple of pictures of the shop front but they are on a PC awaiting a new power supply after it went up in smoke. I will post when I have fixed it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not certain but I think an ex shcool pal's parents ran the newsagents in the 60s; name of Hammill (Hamill?)

• 4 years later...

#3 Mick - I was his butcher lad as well, around about 1951/52. A lot of his customers were re housed on the new Clifton Estate and I had to ride that monster bike there fully laden every Saturday.

Remember Flints quite well although we used Parkers on Peveril St. 

• 1 year later...

I did the  Bilbrough and Strelly runs too in 1960 - 61. Minver Crescent in the snow was no joke. There were two of us did the deliveries,  the other lad had been there a while and showed me the ropes.  I got one and threepence an hour!

I remember a lady who lived in Norton Street just round from the shop.  She would unwrap all the parcels and then, if she wasn't  happy tell me to take it back and tell Buxton what was wrong and what he should send back.

She always gave me a tanner tip, I  think she  was sorry for sending me back to face him.  That  job gave me my first taste of what employers are really like.

He used to bring his son into the shop - fat as a butchers dog! , and he used to try to boss us about.  He,d be about 70 now if hes avoided the physical degeneration of obesity.

• Like 1