Favourite Autumnal Walks in Nottingham!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The area has been a Ghetto for many years, perhaps the council thought the only way to clear this festering mess was to run it down & spread the scum all over Nottm !   Should never have

It angers me to see housing that is only about 40 years old be allowed to get in such a run down condition. Or is this a case of bed tenants ? At least the "old" houses in Meadows lasted mor

This is the West Fork trail in Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, about 75 minutes away from us. We don't get these colours in our neck of the woods, so have to go a little south to see them. The trail crosses

Wollaton park was always an incredible place in the Autumn,so much to look at, without costing a penny.

I would walk along Beeton lane and enter the park from Derby road.

Wonder if any of that walk remains untouched.

This is my favourite time of year! Rufford Park, Clumber Park and Sherwood Forest....these are all lovely walks during the Autumn and Winter months..

Also like Rufford, Clumber and Sherwood Forest. A bit nearer to home, Bestwood Country Park is particularly beautiful and atmospheric come the Autumn. I have many routes through there but one I enjoy is from Redhill up Collier's Pad, through Bestwood village and on around Mill Lakes.

I always feel that Autumn is the most atmospheric of the seasons. I love Keats' 'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. At the same time it signifies a poignant end to another year of growth and the descent into winter and it's dormancy. I enjoy what all the seasons bring though - and from an outdoors perspective.

Autumn in Nottingham

clumber_park_web.jpg?w=566&h=418

Lime Tree Avenue, Clumber Park

Thanks Stu always like to have a browse at your site , the effort you put in always shines through.

With regards to Autumn a walk through Bunny Woods is a must for me, I love the way the path meanders along the woodland.

Kind Regards

Another pleasant walk, particularly in Autumn, is from Papplewick into Newstead Abbey via the bridleway near Papplewick Hall.

A five-mile walk there and back to Newstead Abbey lake with free admission to the Abbey grounds and a warming cuppa at the tea room. Finish off with a jar at The Griffin's Head back at the village.

• 4 weeks later...

Although i say it alot, but my current favorite place for a walk (still!!) is Colwick park... only because its within walking distance from where i live.

Past two sundays iv set my alarm for 6am and had an early morning power walk to colwick park, a steady paced jog around the lake then sat on one of the 3 benches on the small hill that over looks almost the whole park, Last week when i was sat there watching the fish jumping out of the water, ducks playing and other joggers, cyclists and dog walkers... I got the real sence that autumn was well on its way! I think i may even do it again this sunday morning. Makes me wish i had a dog though seeing all those dog walkers, it suprised me how many people where happy and polite at that time of the morning, having random chats with others, that and my alone time really set me up for the day. :)

Although much maligned. What is left of Sherwood Forest can be an exceedingly pleasant walk among the old oaks in the Autumn time. It's important (for me at least) to visit at a quieter time, maybe early in the morning, to feel the atmosphere of the old woodland and it's clearings and to get a small glimpse of how Sherwood Forest would have once been. There's also much more chance of seeing a wee bit of wildlife before the visitors arrive for the day!

The Dawn Song of Sherwood Forest

On the trail of Robin Hood

• Upvote 1

Stu, your post re Sherwood Forest brought back memories from just a couple of years ago.

I remember going to Sherwood Forest with my parents and an uncle and aunt one day for a picnic. Was prior to 1953 as no little brother!!

Cars parked near the Major Oak and blankets spread on the grass nearby. Still recollect going inside the MO through the big crack, standing up in what seemed to be a large interior (to a little tacker).

Trying to join in with my parents and aunt and uncle who were playing catch with one of those rubber rings similar to what you buy your dog for a toy these days.

Most of all, remember the day cut short due to rain storms and driving back in pouring rain through what seemed like an endless forest before reaching civilisation again.

Went on Google and found things have changed a bit. No big forest anymore. MO chained up now and doesn't look like access allowed.

Good thing that this so-called progress can't take your memories away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Yes, like Trevor I also remember a picnic in Sherwood Forest around 1953. Packing sandwiches, hard boiled eggs and flask of tea. Down to Huntingdon Street in great anticipation, and long trip on the Doncaster bus out to Edwinstowe. Went in Major Oak. I seem to remember it was a warm and humid day with lots of midges; a few dark clouds threatening thunder - but it never came to anything. And sitting in a clearing on raincoats eating picnic and drinking flask-flavoured tea!.

• Upvote 1

us lot used to go Sherwood forest every year as a kid, it was one of those days where the family felt like doing something.. but didnt know what so thats where we ended up! Good memories though, i went back when i was pregnant as thats when i really started enjoying walks, i think thats when i realized how important it is to stay active, was a lovely walk, me and the other half ended up getting lost and the heavens opened, we can laugh about it now. :)

Early 70's up down Alfreton road, in the Alma & ending up back there after having been in every pub (on halfs, couldn't have done it on pints) up to top of Derby road................hic!!

One "walk" I sometimes do is to get off the South Notts bus at Wilford Green & walk through Wilford village over the toll bridge along the Trent embankment to Trent Bridge and up Arkwright Walk then on into the city centre.

P.S. I have been known to walk all the way from Loughborough to the City Centre via the A60(takes about four & a half hours)