Old Gravel Pits near Blotts/Holme Pierrepont?

The gravel pits were closed/finished by the 1970s when the Watersports Centre was built. Looking at the Old Maps site, the pits seem to have started in the 1950s; prior to that it was just normal farmland.

And as katyjay says, they were operated by the Hoveringham company

Mammoth bones,teeth and tusks are dug up pretty regular in the Notts gravel beds, Attenborough gravel pits were and still are dug from the same deposits as Hoveringham,mainly sand stone gravel and good quality sharp sand ideal for the manufacture of concrete,most of the concrete used to build Ratcliff power station came from Hoveringham and Attenborough quarries and all the concrete used to build the QMC complex came from Attenborough

Rog

Down near Hoveringham village these days there are a couple of large new lagoons that have been constructed in recent years. Not much provided for the potential wildlife around them though.

Plenty of gravel workings in your neck of the wood Burt or was you looking specifically for Holme Pierrepont? Where abouts in Lincs are you? I do a bit of birding in the area

Rog

Plenty of gravel workings in your neck of the wood Burt or was you looking specifically for Holme Pierrepont? Where abouts in Lincs are you? I do a bit of birding in the area

Rog

Boston Way , Flat as a pancake LOL

Just a side note to this topic if I may?

The original gravel pits at Holme Pierrepont were situated on the river side of Adbolton Lane at a point approximately where Holme Lane intersects. I have included a link to the Old maps UK site which will show them. The gravel pits between Adbolton Lane and the A52 had not even been thought of when we left ROT in 62 and the Water Sports Centres etc were not even on the horizon.

Back in the mid to late 50s, Adbolton Lane was a dirt track full of potholes and virtually impassable in winter, especially if the Trent flooded. Adbolton Lane would eventually become Water Lane in ROT and I would often cycle to my grandparent's house in Holme Road, West Bridgford along Adbolton.

I cannot recollect the gravel pits in use and we often went fishing in the disused pits, roach being the fish of the day. Back then, it was a large flat area with the pits full of water and sometimes knee high grass covered the entire landscape.

If you have time for a funny story: - Back in the mid 50s after a very big flood, one of the lads discovered that an old wooden cabin cruiser had been washed into the gravel pits by the high water and was currently lying partially on its side approximately halfway between Adbolton Lane and the Trent.

Well, several of us decided that we would have to examine the 'shipwreck' and see what we could salvage. Access to the Pits was no problem as there were enough holes in the hedgerow and we all knew, or thought we did, some idea of the lay of the land around the pits. You see, the big issue was that the area was still flooded and apart from close to the road; the land was a sheet of water with tufts of grass or small mounds sticking up out of the surface every so often. Due to the muddy water, you could not see where the actual pits were and they were deep holes,believe me.

Anyway, armed with long, broken branches and in our trusty wellies or plimsolls; we set off in single file towards the boat. The going was slow due to our fear of drowning or at the very least, going home and explaining to our parents how come we had gone swimming fully clothed! After a few minutes, salvaging anything on the boat was suddenly becoming a stupid idea to a once intrepid band of 9-10 year old ROT boys. Particularly when testing the depth of water with the sticks often indicated no bottom! And that was not only in front of us but on both sides as well!!

What finished it though was when one of us who was not happy with the pace of things decided that he would take over the lead and tried to get past us to the front.

One moment he was there, calling us names, and the next he was gone; stick and all. Disappeared from sight under the water, no bubbles was something we all remembered later.

Seemed like ages but the next moment, he came up out of that water like a rocket, screaming for help. He had found the edge of one of the pits! (Didn't you Monk?)

We offered him the sticks that we were carrying as we were not going to move from where we were and he dragged himself out rapidly. The look of terror on his face and the state of him frightened the rest of us s#$%less and we immediately turned round and crept back, very slowly indeed and testing every inch of the way, to dry land.

Then we saw the funny side, except the pit diver of course. He was lucky that he was wearing plimsolls that day and not wellies!

As for the boat....no one cared after that!

• Upvote 3

I can remember fishing in those pits when we lived at Clifton, Harrimans lane then was just a muck road for the most part and the police pond was on the left,if I remember correctly it was a shilling for adults to fish and sixpence for juniors, the whole of the Trent valley has been quarried at some time or other as it contains some of the strongest gravel bed around,look at all thos pits along the Trent near Newark,Besthorpe,Girton etc

Rog

It was actually at their works in Hoveringham, hence their logo http://www.flickr.co...ske/4584631111/

And a lot of people of a certain age - such as me - had one of these http://www.vectis.co.../382/3151_l.jpg

And if, like my old man, you worked for the company you had one of these....

HPIM2257.jpg

Dad actually did a lot of work at Holme Pierrepont, building the conveyors.

Incidentally, those amongst us who are railway enthusiasts will be pleased to know that one of the locos from Holme Pierrepont quarry has been preserved, on the Welsh Highland.

1590.jpeg

Nice pic Scriv, I see Snowdon in the background, where abouts can you access the railway as I will be over there in a few weeks?

Rog

That little Hoveringham loco looks a lot like a converted underground colliery loco, it has a heavy chassis like U/G locos had, but they don't have fully enclosed cabs.

I have an "Ordnance Survey" map sheet 112 dated 1950 & there is only one very small lake at Holme Pierrepont

And another dated 1968 when the workings were at their fullest extent.

and there was a lake where the rowing course was built so something was "filled in"

Something in the back of my mind tells me I fished here in the early 60s

Good morning Bubblewrap,

You are up early!

At http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html put in the co-ordinates 462150 and 339090 and leave the search area blank. Click on GO and that will give you the Trent side of Adbolton Lane. Select the 1957-1962 Post WW2 Map of Nottinghamshire 1:2,500 and you will get the original gravel pits and working sites of the 50s. These were the pits that had filled with water and were good for fishing back in the mid to late 50s.

I cannot recollect them in use during my time...bit difficult when full to the brim with water.

As far as I can make out, it was these pits that formed the Water Sports area next to the Trent and of course, Holme Pierrepont has expanded out of site judging by Google.

As I said in my earlier Post, knew the area fairly well back then.

The gravel workings between Adbolton Lane and the A52 were non-existence back then and looking at it now on Google, I can only shake my head.

As a point of interest, I see the name Hackett given to one of the recreation venues. This would be in recognition of the original owner of most of the land between the A52 and Adbolton Lane from the outskirts of ROT to, I think, Holme Lane or maybe even beyond. Syd Hackett was a wealthy landowner who ran large beef herds, had his own butchers shops, including one in ROT and in those days, large cattle trucks to convey his stock to market.

My father bought the 10 acres that Trevart Kennels (RSPCA) sits on and Wheatcroft Roses 9no more) had the 10 acres at the Nottingham side of us. Syd Hackett was fairly pi$$$d off when his land was divided by the railway line from Cotgrave Pit but, the word was he received a healthy compensation for his troubles! Would not be surprised if Hackett even owned the land that the original gravel pits in my post. He was making a lot of money from somewhere and royalties on the gravel would be quite possible.

I am disappointed that there is no one else on Nottstalgia who either lived or still lives in ROT and could remember these things!!

• Upvote 1

Good ????? Trevor,

Up early? not really it's goes back to the days when I had to get up for work (7.30 start but a 45min walk)25 years in the same place.

Re gravel pits do you remember the ones north of the River Trent near Colwick sidings they were opposite Ratcliffe on Trent.

With one exception they were not there in 1950.

The oldest pit was to the west of the railway just north of the river.(on my 1950 map)