Maybe early 70's I can't remember. I do remember though, that hardly any programmes were in colour to start with, and felt cheated, LOL. We'd paid more money for the colour set and most of the things were still in B&W.

Colour came in the late 60's, I recall a mate of mine who was a TV tech, invited me to his shop as he had their first colour TV on the bench going over it for a customer. Cost a fortune back then!! We had our first colour TV around 1974ish

I remember folks used to jump on and off those old rear platform buses while the bus was still moving the conductors used to wait untill the passenger was off and then ring the bell so the bus never stopped, one hunchback guy was reputed to have pointed at his back and remarked "What do you think this is a parachute". Wonder what health and safety would do about that old practice!.

WE MOVED INTO OUR FIRST HOSE IN 1974 AND BROUGHT OUR FIRST TV SET IT WAS COULUR OF COUSE. BUT MY MUM AND DAD GOT THERES IN THE EARLY SEVENTIES

I think the most vivid memory of those years was getting up on a saturday morning and listening to childrens choice on the radio, Danny Kaye and Burl Ives stuff and of course the old favorite Trumpet Voluntary. That great feeling of knowing there was no more school till monday and it was spending money day.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The 9 in black and white set me dad hired from Radio Rentals on Alferton Road was our first tv,we sat watcing it all weekend with the picture rolling and when the engineer

came out he pointed to the vertical hold nob at the back it was fine after that.

Me mam always covered it with a table cloth after the news and we couldn't touch it untill me dad come home from work at night .

Then it was A Redifusion set with the selct box screwed to the cupboard door and a choice of radio or tv, such was the technology.

Im not talking TV !!!!

I seem to remember Nottingham in Black & White i dont know why.

yes and the old silent movies,i thought everyone walked like that,and called it the 'Quick days'

I remember seeing an advert for a coloured screen that you put in front of a black & white TV, supposedly turning the picture to colour. Please tell me this did'nt happen.

I can't believe people would be so daft as to believe that !

Every now and then during the black & white days, the BBC screened experimental pictures and asked people to report if they'd seen colour on their screen. It was all kinds of whirls and things. Spike Milligan and co soon took this up and did their own. It was Peter Sellars standing with all the colours he was wearing labelled and across his teeth was the word 'yellow'. This word moved across the screen and disappeared, Sellars saying, "Oooh! I wonder where the yellow went", a reference to the old advert, 'You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent', for those who remember it.

Catfan re: #12. I'm pretty sure an uncle and aunt had the coloured screen on their telly. IIRC it had a blue strip along the top, green along the bottom, not sure of the middle. Fine if you were looking at a programme showing a sky and fields!

• Upvote 1

I remember my parents had a 9 inch tv and then bought a magnifying glass that strapped over the set making the screen a 12 inch. The 'magnifyer' was filled with some sort of liquid.

Catfan re: #12. I'm pretty sure an uncle and aunt had the coloured screen on their telly. IIRC it had a blue strip along the top, green along the bottom, not sure of the middle. Fine if you were looking at a programme showing a sky and fields!

Brilliant ! I know I had not dreampt it !

Re:18, as well as the potter's wheel, there was the kitten playing with a ball of wool, and fish in a tank. There must have been more?

Well it was a but grimy back then dgbrit....LOL

I got chewed out by the conductor for getting off a moving bus, didn't stop me though, just made sure I didn't do it on his bus again..

In common with a lot of people in the 50s my dad rented our TV from Radio Rentals. He used to regularly remind us how expensive TV sets were to buy and worse still to repair particularly if the "tube" went.

I recall a Hancock episode where he (the "lad himself") was faced with a faulty TV and his concern that the "tube" had gone.

For those who don't know the "tube" was the CRT (cathode ray tube) which was in effect a large glass high vacuum valve which served as the screen and was certainly a very expensive component to replace if it packed up.

I'm not sure if CRT tubes were prone to failure but my dad wasn't going to take the risk.

So in 1969 quite soon after colour transmissions began on BBC2 my dad took delivery of a Baird colour TV from Radio Rentals. I think their shop was on Friar Lane.

It really was something to behold and quite mundane programmes really came to life.

I recall one Friday night in September 1969 all my drinking pals and their girlfriends piling into our lounge to watch Tony Bilbow on Late Night Line Up as they played The Beatles newly released Abbey Road LP in it's entirety.

Ironically most of the film that accompanied the album was in black & white but that Friday night has stayed with me just the same.

I also remember watching episodes of The Avengers in colour. The colours tended to be a bit pale at first until we learned how to use the colour saturation control!

I think my dad wanted it for the cricket which used to be on BBC2 on Sunday afternoons. I think it was on from about two in the afternoon until as late as seven in the evening depending on how long it took to finish the game.

During the tea interval John Arlott would come on with a story about cricket which I found more boring than the game itself.

My dad, bless him was besotted by cricket and during those summer Sunday afternoons would only get out his chair to go to the toilet. My dear mum would bring him tea and sandwiches throughout the afternoon.

He also insisted on watching The Black & White Minstrel show on Saturday evening. Very non PC now I know but back then nobody gave it a second thought. Again it used to bore me rigid but the spectacle of the costumes and sets in full on colour was stunning after all those years of watching TV in B&W

• Upvote 2