Never though wollaton park lake would attract strange types... Had a picnic down there a couple of years ago, was lovely. Havent been on a bike ride in a long while, my last bike was stolen... not a happy bunny, was a nice one too! Used to go from gedling to way past gunthorpe... follow the river, then turn back and came home, used to be gone for a full day and boy did i ache that night!! The corn fields off stoke lane where a nice bike ride too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Sept1612ride1.jpg

Nice ride out today, started from home and headed for Collingham (nr Newark) about 9 miles away, onto Besthorpe village then turning right and heading for Wigsley (some one on this forum posted that his father was posted at RAF Wigsley, took some pics of the remains of the main tower building and remains of runway but having problems with photobucket at the moment so will post later) anyway after a banana and a drink of juice at Wigsley I carried onto Harby, nice little village, a few miles later and I was entering South Scarle (back in Lincolnshire now) and another photo stop, rode through Swinderby village without stopping as my knees were begining to get sore and I wanted to get home, shame really as there was a cycle jumble at the village hall that I wanted to visit but did'nt fancy walking round with a limp, anyway a careful crossing of the busy A46 and onto Norton Disney, only 11/2 miles to go now and get some pain relieving cream rubbed on my knees, all in all a round trip of just under 40 miles and apart from the knee problem a very nice ride, more pics to follow when I get photobucket sorted

Rog

• Upvote 1

I rode last years Notts bike ride on the trike but not this years as I was away, I think this years was more flat with a lot fewer hills, last years got quite hilly after the Newark area, still managed the 60mile total last year in about 4 hours, hopefully be able to ride in next years, Trikes are ok on the flat and super fast going down hill but they're very slow on the uphill, I tend to ride uphill until out of breath then put on the parking brake and just sit back until breathing settles down again, I take it from your question that you rode this year Notts,if so how did you go on? If you're in the Newark area on your bike sometime let me know and I'll see if I can join you for a few miles

Rog

Nice link there Stu, I might struggle on some of those tracks on my trike as it's 30 inches wide, suppose I could get the road bike out and cycle to Nottingham some day,

Sept1612ride4.jpg

North Scarle,small village/hamlet just over the border into Lincolnshire, had another drink of juice here and a bit of a breather before setting off towards Wigsley to get a couple of pics for the Nottstalgia member who's father was based at RAF Wigsley (can't remember who it was though who posted that comment) all thats left of the place is one rather distressed main building/tower and a section of runway that the now road has occupied

Rog

Don't think it would be great for the trike, Rog. You're right as you surmise, the paths are generally wide enough but narrow off and are banked at times. Quite a few nettles at times if you're riding at a lower level and it's summertime too. I think the worst bit was between Staythorpe and Averham though. The little-used path was routed through a ploughed field!

Sept1612ride8_zpsa4a6d2e0.jpg

Remains of RAF Wigsley, don't take much imagination if you half close your eyes the building takes on an air of it's former glory with ground staff milling about possibley waiting for the return of that "missing Lancaster" the tarmaced narrow road is flanked on both sides by concrete of what was once the east/west runway, in the quiet air as I had another banana and drink of juice I thought I could hear the low drone of four Merlin engines in the distance,could this be the lost Lanc the ground crew were waiting for? (must check what is in that juice I've been drinking) maybe time to set off again to my next stopping point Harby

Rog

Funnily enough Rog I didn't do last years ride, the first one i've missed since 1990, But i did this years, along with our small group of friends and family,It's a shame Notts county council can't fund this event anymore, but saying that we all agreed that the new organisers did a good job, It started and ended on the Embankment this year which was different, the route was ok i'm sure you'd be ok on the trike, the only hills (if you can call them that) Inclines, were around Bradmore, Keyworth and through Normanton on the wolds, the type of riding both me and my mates like is on touring bikes with the panniers on,then off using as much off road or narrow country lanes as possible, we use alot of the Sustrans routes (I'm sure your familier with them) Route 6 passes through Nottingham on it's way south through Derby, Loughborough, Leicester & on to Oxford, then North through Worksop, Sheffield & on to York,

Earlier this year a group of us rode Route 1, from Hull to Fakenham taking a leisurly week to complete,

Thanks for invite to join you when i'm around the Newark area, I'll bear it in mind,

Sept1612ride9_zpsf19295ee.jpg

This is a nice village and I'm not far from home now, about 7 miles, there is a steady climb (if there is such a thing in Lincolnshire) to Eagle Moor then pretty flat to Eagle Barnsdale all the Eagle villages are spread out and surrounded by farm land.

Sept1612ride10_zpsb8365c57.jpg

Must check out who Queen Eleanor was/is as written on the Harby village sign

hope you enjoyed the pics after I eventually managed to get them off photobucket, this Sunday (weather permitting) I'm heading toward Skellingthorpe and hopefully get a picture of a pub that Mick has some memories of

Rog

...setting off towards Wigsley to get a couple of pics for the Nottstalgia member who's father was based at RAF Wigsley (can't remember who it was though who posted that comment)

Members 'Nostalgic Age' Photos.

Posted by RGR on 11 April 2012 - 02:51 AM in Owt' Abaaht Nowt !

5268800593_62cbf2e608_b-1.jpg

My Dad RCAF Tail Gunner on right near
Wigsley
or Ossington Nottinghamshire in WWII.

Thanks for that Mick, another mystery solved,

Queen Eleanor apparently Edward 1st Mother and according to the Harby web site she died at Harby, I think more investigation is required,

anyway hopefully onwards to the Plough at Skellingthorpe tomorrow Mick

Rog

I look forward to pictures of the Plough.

My father was landlord in Sept 1951 when I was born, but many years ago on my last visit there the had no knowledge of him?

I fell into the same trap Stu, the Harby I cycled through is the one near Lincoln, the Harby you mention is a very nice place near to Hose if I remember correctly, I used to fish the Grantham canal there back in the 70s when the stretch belonged to Notts Anglers, perhaps next summer I might venture out that way and ride the trike round the lanes of Nottinghamshire

Rog

Yeh the pics are brill Rog, I, like you, love the village signs that you see along the way,

the Eleanor you mention at Harby, was Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of Edward the 1st ( nicknamed Longshanks) She died in Harby in 1290, Edward had her embalmed, her insides were buried in Lincoln Cathedral, But he wanted her to be entombed in Westminster Abbey, So they started a very long funeral procession to London, and every place they stayed overnight he erected a cross (the Eleanor crosses) at, Lincoln, Grantham, Stamford, Geddington, Hardingstone, Stony Stratford, Woburn, Dunstable, St Albans, Waltham Cross, & Charing (now Trafalgar square) Only three survive - Geddington, Hardingstone & Waltham Cross,

Well I left the village early this morning on my ride to Skellingthorpe so thought I would take a picture of our village sign before heading down the new cycle/foot path to the next village of Bassingham

Sept23trikeride1_zpse0c2b71a.jpg

So far down the track I came across this rather ornate seat that looks out towards the Lincoln ridge ove the flat lowlands

Sept23trikeride2_zpsb7c26da2.jpg

A bit further down the track and look what was lurking on the grass verge

Sept23trikeride3_zps452cd934.jpg

carved by a local artist.

More to follow

Rog

Well it felt like I'd rode a long way but with the best will in the world I don't think I had reached the middle east

Sept23trikeride5_zps80e50ee1.jpg

Just before entering Skellingthorpe there is a few houses and they are in Jerusalem

Sept23trikeride6_zpsbaf301da.jpg

The plough is the growing up place of that world famous (well Nottstalgia anyway) Mick2me

Enjoy Mick

Rog

Now for a bit of history,in the background of this picture is Thurlby hall ancestral home of Gonville Bromhead, one of the officers in charge of defending Rorkes drift alongwith Lt Chard, if you saw the film Zulu Gonville Bromhead was played by Michael Caine, one of his ancesters still lives there and she does the flower arranging in the family church of St Germains every week (pics of the church can be posted if anyone is interested)

Sept23trikeride8_zps89ab6268.jpg

This is the headstone of one of Bromheads decendants, the Bromhead of Zulu fame is buried in India, young Bromhead by the way was educated at Newark on Trent

Sept23trikeride7_zps8b172182.jpg

And finally I get back home after a very pleasant few hours trike riding,

Sept23trikeride9_zps51e47ff0.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Rog