Hi Happy Jack, thanks for the info about Queen Eleanor, very interesting stuff, there seems to be a fair bit of history out here, Newark (7 miles from home) and it's connections with the English civil war,Thurlby (3 miles from home) and it's connections with the Zulu wars of 1879,and just 2 miles from home is the village of Norton Disney famous for one of it's sons taking part in the battle of Cape St Vincent alongside Nelson. more investigations needed during the cold dark nights of winter

Rog

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Hi Stephen, There is a Jericho down the A46 just before the turn off for Melton and Normanton on the Wolds as you go there from Newark. also a Jericho farm at the back of Chris Allsop's scrap yard

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

On a trike ride last year with some like minded folk (nutters) up at Derwent water dam

Trike004.jpg

the beauty of riding up there on a Sunday is the roads are closed to motor traffic, lovely scenery and good fresh air, struggled a bit up the hills but the trike is heavy but what a blast coming down them, easy to reach speeds in excess of 35 mph, seems a lot faster when your butt is only a few inches off the ground,

Trike006.jpg

my trike (the Jolly Roger) in front of the Derwent dam

Trike005.jpg

In front of one of the towers that houses the Dambusters memorial, the Dambusters used the dam towers and Derwent water as practice before dropping the bouncing bombs on the great dams of Germany during the second world war

Rog

I don't put the trike away for winter, but tend not to ride if the weather is too wet, being that low down to the road you get a good soaking from any passing traffic with most of your legs at about the same height as car mud flaps, great fun when there's snow on the ground though, just fit a studded tyre on the back for extra grip, be careful not to steer too aggressively and you can let the trike drift when going round corners, just keep a lookout for other road users.

Thurlby hall is about 2 miles from home and the church of St Germains is in the grounds of the hall, I'll get some pics of the church and the commemorative window dedicated to Gonville next time I'm in the village

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

the start of our new cycle/footpath between our village and the village of Bassingham about two miles away, carved wooden owl by local artist

October13ride5.jpg

about halfway down the path is a lifesize carved from local oak shire horse by the same local artist

October13ride3.jpg

Rog

Wasn't sur whether to post this one in "Things you don't see anymore" but it was on my trike ride so it might as well stay here, foot operated fire/water hydrant,one of four in the village,not connected to a water supply now but painted and cherished by the locals as street furniture

October13ride1.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics

Rog

take the car to Heanor - Shipley Country park - get on the bikes and ride down the Nutbrook Trail all the way to Sawley marina and back - about 18 miles and 3 hours at a steady crawl. For more excitement and further a field drive to Bakewell and ride along the Monsall Trail - nice and flat ( as it was a railway line originally) ride through 6 tunnels and 3 places to stop for a cuppa. The tunnels are tarmac and lit and a good place to shelter if it comes on to rain.

Good advice would ne to call in at the Council information office on Long Row and get some free cycle route maps. or try the internet council sites.

They have some really good maps for free.

Will look into that Bendigo, I've rode the Tissington trail and the Cromford to High peak several times but only walked the Monsal trail, I agree there are some good places along the Monsal where you can stop for a cuppa, the one we like is called "The Brew Stop" about a mile from the viaduct, proper coffee/tea in proper pot mugs, by the way only ridden road and mountain bikes on those trails not my trike.

Rog

plantfit, being a well travelled man, of many years standing, do you remember the little wooden hut 'cafe' at Ambergate? very popular with weekend cyclists, just googled it now, still a cafe but in a very posh building.......................

Of course I can remember that cafe, visited on many an occasion for an Eccles cake and coffee,then on to Whatstandwell,Cromford,Matlock Bath,Matlock Town,Darley Dale,Rowsley,Ashford and Bakewell returning via Cromford.Lea,Holloway,Crich,Bullbridge and back on the main road back to Ripley,Codnor,Eastwood and home to Bulwell,great memories thanks for the memory jog

Rog

Tyres not that hot,too old to ride quick now,

7Wheels1-3.jpg

picture of my road bike, Giant OCR, aluminium frame,carbon forks,24 gears,nice and light

This one is my old Falcon Olympic Classic, circa 1970's brazed steel frame and forks,5 gears 27 inch wheels,not as light as the giant but a very comfortable ride, a tad too big for me so i might sell it, nice bike though,

Falconolympicclassic-1.jpg

I seem to default to my recumbent trike these days,more layed back and a good way to make friends when you stop at the shops or pub

Rog

• 3 months later...

Well the weather's not too good for cycling at the moment (for me anyway,fair weather cyclist) so I swapped the Falcon racer for a classic Roy Thame road bike which I am currently restoring from the ground up, It might seem silly to swap a perfectly good bike for a wreck but I was looking for a project bike to keep me occupied during the winter months, so as soon as I have got my pictures on photobucket (other photo sites available) I will post on here

Rog

DSCF3554_zps5e4dfd51.jpg

As you can sse it's in a bit of a state, rusty wheels and frame, chipped paintwork and some corrosion around the aluminium parts, still I did want a project.

DSCF3556_zpsa90191b4.jpg

Some work to do in the bike shed then, more pics to follow as the project developes

Rog

DSCF3572_zpsedbdcc62.jpg

All components stripped off, frame rubbed down to bare metal and a night spent in the de-ruster fluid to get rid of the rust, some parts cleaned off with a wire brush ready for polishing (by hand)

DSCF3576_zps6d81e0e5.jpg

Frame and forks sprayed using 3 coats of grey primer, rubbed down between each coat using 800 grade wet and dry paper, when completely dry and wiped off the colour was applied, this is Fiat red/orange, being hopelessly colour blind I thought this would contrast nicely with black tyres,handlebar tape and seat, 3 coats of colour were applied and rubbed down using 1200 grade wet and dry paper until the finish was completely flatted, after a thorough drying again 2 coats of clear laquer have been applied once again allowing the laquer to thoroughly dry before applying the second coat, not much to do paintwise until next weekend, can't check coverage very well in false light, so this week at night after work I will be polishing alluminium parts.

Hope this is of some interest to some of you

Rog

The frame is now lacquered and T cut, new decals arrived last week and I put those on yesterday, white with black outlines, tyres arrived today so I should get to fit those to the new wheels tonight after dinner, spent a lot of time polishing the aluminium bits,brakes,levers,handlebars and stem using a Brasso type of liquid polish, I find that Solvol Autosol is too abrasive on aluminium, cost so far is about £100 for paint,tyres and tubes, wheels (a bargain off fleabay £39.99 for the two brand new) brake and gear cables and new decals. looking forward to riding this classic cycle when it's finished, also can't wait to get the Trike out again only been riding to the next village and back just lately a round trip of about 5 miles, pictures of the project bike next time I get to see it in daylight

Rog

i too remember the little wooden cafe at ambergate used to go in there early in the morning when going to motorcycle trails up in woods around derby shire as a steward with my friends pete and mick. dose onyone remember the little wooden cafe watstanwell bridge on the little sloping field matlock side look strait over the bridge a popular motorcycle stop as a good place to watch bikes comming oever the bridge at speed some never got round and hit the bridge more than one landing in the river

Sounding good Rog, you make me want to get the kids bikes out and bugger about with them a bit........LOL

Mind you, on saying that, I have actually got a bigger one in the shed in need of some TLC.! It's one that SWMBO bought off ebay for our Adam, I'm not kidding, if I were a bit more able I could ride the bloody thing it's that big ! (Watch this space , but don't hold your breath)

What's that old saying all parents come out with Ian? IT'LL BE ALRIGHT, HE'LL GROW INTO IT, let me know if you need any parts for your project bike and I'll see what I've got in the shed

Rog

Thanks for the offer mate. It'll probably be a couple of tubes so no problem there as I can source them round here, but I know it needs a "self adjusting screw" that goes into the brake lever, I had to canibalize it for another bike.

I'll speak to you soon.

DSCF3582_zpsccf3f2fb.jpg

Nearly finished now, most parts polished and re fitted, decals put on frame,just needs gear cables and handlebar tape and brake blocks, need to set up the gears but I'm pleased with the last few weeks efforts

DSCF3583_zps92e735da.jpg

Rog