Always lusted after a Claude Butler when I was young, the old ones are worth quite a bit now but the newer ones have frames made in the far east and not so desirable, as for the Mercks well it's more or less name the price on those, check out some of the cycling websites to read some of the reviews, I think there was a Mercks frame only (I think Columbus steel) for sale on an auction website a few weeks ago with a reserve price of £1200 or there abouts,

With a bit of luck I should be out on the trike this weekend so maybe go through Besthorpe and back through Wigsley and Eagle (maybe)

Rog

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

• 3 weeks later...

Well the mudguards are fitted as are all the cables, seat and handlebars adjusted to fit me, took a short ride out to make sure everything works as it should, very smooth ride especially with the wheels being bigger than I'm used to, gears and brakes work perfectly only problem was ME, breathing was terrible, after only about half a mile of steady riding I was out of breath and struggling, I must lose some weight and get rid of this beer belly (don't know how I've got one because I don't drink) perhaps I got used to riding the trike where I'm not all buched up in the middle and I am able to breath much easier,the "new bike" is a nice ride though and I'm looking forward to getting some miles in on it if and when I get the breathing problems sorted.

DSCF3598_zps341e18a1.jpg

Finished article complete with mudguards and cables

Rog

• 1 month later...

Had a laugh yesterday a mate of mine bought a new bike & he called me up to tell me he is now impotant ,From what he said there is a nerve that the bike seat buggers up, He is hoping its temporary (Ps he has a nice younger Brasilian wife) I did offer to help out anytime.

This is true dgbrit he is quite right about said nerve, a lot of saddles now have either a soft spot in the middle or a complete cutout to prevent this discomfort and the so called bedtime problem

Rog

• 1 month later...

Just a local trike ride this morning from home Carlton le Moorland to Brant Broughton (home of the Quakers, no I didn't have any porridge before you ask) then turning north headed for Sommerton castle, this is just earth mounds with a bit of stonework in the middle, it's only open once a year and I think the land owner's not too happy about that as he don't like anyone on his land, anyway a ride past there brought me to the bottom of a long drawn out climb up a disused railway bridge,(some rail buffs will know which railway, it used to run along the bottom of the Lincoln ridge, west side) I dropped down to the lowest gear I've got for the climb which is only a 15 inch gear, made it to the top so went like the clappers going down and managed to reach 30mph only to be slowed again by a lung busting climb to the village of Boothby Graffoe, ( thats the village the comedian took his name from) had to rest at the top of that hill because I was knackered, got me breath back and took a steady (15mph) ride along the top to Harmston which is more or less at the SW end of Waddington airfield home of the AWACS aircraft (them with the giant mushroom on top) among others, I let the brakes off at the top of the hill and went down the hill reaching a speed of 43mph, trikes are a bit twitchy on the steering at that sort of speed so gently does it on the steering, reaching the bottom of the hill safely I didn't have to peddle again for nearly 3/4 of a mile just coasted, time to have something to eat and drink, there's nowhere out there so I raided the snap bag, banana and a kit kat washed down with Robinsons orange (with no added sugar) A steady trundle back home through Harmston village, Aubourn village,Bassingham village and our village, total ride time just over two hours covering maybe 25-30 miles, time now to get the trike clean ready for this afternoon, I'm joining in the village fund raising event in aid of the stroke society and a heart charity, no photo's today cus I forgot the camera but I think I've posted most of the different villages pics somwhere on here before

Rog

Nice Rog, very nice.
Keep your eyes peeled as I think the Lanc may be up today at some point (So I've been led to believe!)

a ride past there brought me to the bottom of a long drawn out climb up a disused railway bridge,(some rail buffs will know which railway, it used to run along the bottom of the Lincoln ridge, west side)

Rog

That must have been the Lincoln to Grantham line - closed in 1965 if I remember right.

Didn't see the Lanc Ian but did hear what sounded like Merlin engines at about 11.00-11.15, had the scanner on but nowt on there

Merthyr Imp, knew someone would know which railway, nearly all the station buildings are still standing and are in private hands, the platforms are still intact as well, do you have any pics of these before closure?, I can get some pics for you as they are now if interested

Rog

Merthyr Imp, knew someone would know which railway, nearly all the station buildings are still standing and are in private hands, the platforms are still intact as well, do you have any pics of these before closure?, I can get some pics for you as they are now if interested

Rog

Was it Harmston or Waddington station? Very few photos were taken of that line, and most of those that were are of Leadenham or Caythorpe. The only ones I've got of Harmston or Waddington are in a paperback book ('The Lincoln to Grantham Line via Honington' by Stewart E. Squires) and so are difficult to scan - but it would be interesting to see photos of the present day. I know several of the A607 road bridges over that line are still standing.

The station in question would be Harmston, the one further south is Navenby, easy to get a pic of Harmston the other one I can only get from the end of the drive, I think most of the bridges are in place until you get to Lincoln around the Brant road area, next trike ride I will get some pics from Wellingore to Harmston, the old Kirkstead to Bardney station building is still standing as is the Tattershall one as you probably know, Kirkstead forms part of the Water rail way (foot/cycle path) from Lincoln to Boston

Rog

• 1 month later...

Took a ride out today on the trike, set out about 07.00hrs for Grantham,approx 24 miles from home went through Brant Broughton and on to Welbourn just on the Lincoln ridge, turning right and headed for Leadenham then Fulbeck, stopped on that bridge over the A17 for a drink of Robinsons peach (with no added sugar) and a walnut whip (remember them?) from there it was up and down hills for the next 5 miles to Caythorpe flying through there at 22 mph then a stop at Normanton on Cliffe, nice little village where someone asked me to stop and talk about my trike, usual stuff "did you make it yourself,how fast do they go,how much do they cost etc, nice talking to the guy and he did seem interested, onward and upward as they say and it was onto Carlton Scroop another nice village not far from Barkston on the Lincoln ridge, just before you get there there is a company that builds narrow boats in the yard by the look of things he has quite a few on order, good to see local business doing well, now it was onto the main road to Grantham, think it might be the A607, nice bit of road with good smooth tarmac so time to do a bit of serious cycling and it saw me keeping a good speed of 21mph for the next 3 miles, time for another drink stop and a banana to go with the Robinson's, rode past Belton hall at a fair rate and entered Grantham about 2 hrs after leaving home so well pleased with my efforts, a photo stop outside the birthplace of Margaret Roberts (Margaret Thatcher) the main reason for the trip today. I stopped in Alma park just on the edge of the town for my lunch stop, there is a sensory garden there with sculptures and sweet smelling flowers, good place to have a rest and let my legs have a rest, Back on the road and this time I headed towards Ancaster and Cranwell, this road is all up and down so the gears got a bit of a work out, thought about stopping at Byards Leap for a cuppa but decided to push on as I only had about an hours ride left so it was left onto the A17 and head towards Leadenham again but this time taking the top road through Wellingore and Navenby, broke the 30mph speed limit as I entered Navenby,38mph in a 30 zone (happy) left down church lane for the steep hill towards Bassingham once again topping 40mph before I chickened out and pulled on the brakes for the sharp bend at the bottom of the hill, 5 miles to go before reaching home and a soak my legs in a hot bath, all in all just over 45 miles in just under 5 hrs so well pleased with the effort, I took some pics of the ride but photobucket is playing up at the moment so will post them as soon as. Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as me

Rog

• Upvote 1

Interesting that you mention RAF Wigsley (post #27). I raced there in the Gerry Thurlow Memorial Criterium bike races, which were held in March every year in the 70s.

All I remember is that it was bleak, cold, and the wind came straight off the Urals. The race route was up the runway, turn, down the runway, and back again.

Rob.L, they still have crit racing around the villages there, Wigsley, North and South Scarle and I think they are early in the year could be a link there

Rog

pics of the Grantham ride

DSCF3752_zpse8dceaba.jpg

Just before Welbourn coming from Brant Broughton

DSCF3754_zps9e89d3cf.jpg

Lincoln side of the A17, went from there to Fulbeck and over the bridge

DSCF3756_zps62494146.jpg

Another Normanton, this one on Cliffe, nice little village for a cycle ride or just a walk

DSCF3757_zpsf7f186b9.jpg

Must find out the origin of the word Scroop

DSCF3758_zps4157a8e2.jpg

hour and three quarters after leaving home and I arrive in Grantham, just a mile or so to the final destination.

DSCF3759_zpsee15549a.jpg

Birth place of Margaret Roberts (Thatcher) I just had to pay homage to the great woman, the reason for this trike ride

• Upvote 1

DSCF3761_zps25d438ed.jpg

Alma park on the outskirts of Grantham heading east towards Lincoln, It's a sensory park with different smells from the flowers and different sculptures to touch and hold, nice place for a drink of juice and a quick bite to eat before heading back through Ancaster and Cranwell

DSCF3762_zps0b53d790.jpg

Top of the Lincoln ridge at Leadenham and home to an old aerodrome from ww1 before the RAF was born, RFC (royal flying corps) Leadenham, there is a few brick walls left from some of the old buildings but nothing to suggest the history of the place, all private farmland now though, anyway it was 8 miles to go to reach home and a well earned coffee and cake

hope you enjoyed as much as me, it's off to Southwell tomorrow so hopefully a few more pics and another writeup

Rog

• Upvote 4

Keep them coming, plantfit. Thoroughly enjoyable sharing your rides through the countryside.

So reminiscent of the Notts and Radcliffe surrounds that I remember from my childhood when out and about on my trusty silver grey Coventry Eagle with straight handlebars, 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears, lights and a saddlebag!

Tried to find a picture of one on the Internet - no luck. Seems like bikes from the late 50s have gone to bicycle heaven. Got an old photo somewhere that I will try and find.

Photobucket playing up again so on with the writeup, Set off at 07.05hrs and headed west towards Newark 8 miles away, took a picture of a nice horse chestnut tree at the junction of Newark road and Staplford woods, arrived in Newark breaking the speed limit yet again, this time only by 2 mph, ok I was going down Beacon hill luckily the traffic lights at the bottom were on green so didn't have to touch the brake levers, left at the end of that road and right at the island saw me going over Trent bridge at a fair lick only stopping to get a picture of the Newark Castle signal box, (one for the rail buffs) carefully crossed the A46 and onto the A617, this took me through the lovely village of Kelham and once again over the river Trent, an emergency stop here though, mobile phone fell out of my pocket onto the road, phone retrieved and it was off again bypassing the village of Averham, taking a left turn at the trffic lights saw me on the A612 now heading for today's destination of Southwell (Suthall to those of us who can speak proper) stopped at Upton for another picture this time in front of the British Horological society, I also sat on their low wall for a biscuit and a drink of Robinsons mixed fruit juice with no added sugar ( I wish they would add sugar) a few hills both up and down and I was in Southwell heading for the Saracens Head (formally The Kings Head) the very place where King Charles 1st surrended to the Scots army (another photo) just over the road and up a bit another photo of the trike in front of the Minster, weather was a bit misty so hope the pics come out ok, more food and drink this time a banana and a bag of Walkers ready salted crisps, the decision now was do I go back the way I came or should I press on and see where I end up? so I pressed on up more hills to Brackenhurst, saw a sign for Bleasby and headed that way, there is a carved stone at this road junction so took a pic of it and will try to find out about it later, whizzing down a steepish hill towards Bleasby the road was clear and I didn't have to stop at the junction so nearly had the trike on two wheels there (big grin on my face) ( message to self,,Grow up Roger)

Stayed on this road now most of the way back going through some lovely villages,Bleasby,Fiskerton,Rolleston and Averham, back on the A617 now going back through Kelham, Left onto the A46 and once again over the Trent where the weir is you know, decision time again do I go down the A17 and through Stapleford wood or stay on the A46 and go through Norton Disney, it all depends how much traffic there is when I get to the islands on the A46, well it was straight on along the 46 until that bridge that crosses it, I took the left lane and climbed up there electing to go through Norton Disney and back home to Carlton le Moorland, great ride, weather just right not too warm and with a hint of light drizzle in the air coming back, 41miles in 3hrs 40mins, ready now for a hot bath to soak my weary legs, pics to follow, Trevor S thanks for the kind comments, I think this ride should bring back some memories for you being the east side of Notts

Rog

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get a few pics off photobucket of my Southwell ride so here goes, first one riding through Stapleford wood near Newark

DSCF3777_zpsf388f49b.jpg

Newark castle signal box

DSCF3778_zpsaaf9ae6c.jpg

British Horological society at Upton, time for a food stop, banana and Robinsons fruit drink with no added sugar

DSCF3779_zps1c502135.jpg

Southwell workhouse,too early for the gates to be open

DSCF3780_zpsa7a89699.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nearly there

DSCF3781_zps76a6fa1d.jpg

Saracens head, formally The Kings Head, King Charles 1st place of capture to the Scots

DSCF3782_zpsc6a27d2d.jpg

More to follow when I get time

Rog

• Upvote 2