• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Hi Stephen, not me i'm afraid, there is a few of us about though, a couple of years ago we had a ride around Rutland water, there was about 17 of us, that was a bit of a sight I can tell you, I have some pics somewhere I'll post when I find them, I'm thinking of riding to Sleaford this weekend weather depending, through all the back roads, the hardest bit is climbing upto the Lincoln ridge from where I live but once up there it's pretty easy going

Rog

Found the Rutland ride pics, pub stop for lunch half way round

Rutlandtrikeride008.jpg

Rest stop and photo call

Rutlandtrikeride004.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as we enjoyed the ride

Rog

• Upvote 1

Here's one from a ride around Draycote water near Rugby, note Nigel who is stood up near his trike, he only has one arm, he's had his trike specially adapted to fit his false arm, just after this ride he rode from his home in Northampton all the way up the west coast of England and Scotland returning down the east side until he reached Derby, he then cut across to Birmingham and back to Northampton just to achieve his 1000 miles, I think it took him three months, all this towing his camping trailer full of gear, I don't know if trike riders are a special breed or just crazy, but whatever it is it's great fun

Draycotewaterride003.jpg

Rog

Just to show I have a sensible side, here's me on a TWO wheeled pavement cycle, (I think I've posted this before)

Wales2011010.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

Your pictures are great, What a happy bunch you all look, it must be fantastic to be part of a group with a common interest as you all have, your picture #30 looks a bit like how i landed last week only tidier, Best Wishes to you all for your future adventures.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more of the day, trike at the gate of Southwell minster

DSCF3783_zpsc9b7cf58.jpg

This is the carved/cast stone at the junction of the Brackenhurst/Goverton road

DSCF3784_zps4ec46a5e.jpg

Bit of a rest here alongside the Trent at Fiskerton just passed the Bromley arms pub

DSCF3785_zpsd5d0eaa5.jpg

Signal box at Staythorpe and on the last 10 miles to home

DSCF3786_zps2a4fcd87.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the ride, not been out on the trike for a couple of weeks as there is work to do at home but plenty more pics when I do another ride

Rog

• Upvote 1

Know what you mean Ian, lovely stretch of river, fished it many times on the East Stoke side for very big Chub, part of Notts Piscatorials water

Rog

Lovely photos.

Was the carved stone a Green Man? Just going by the leafy type brow that he seems to have.

Not sure darkazana, I must head out that way again and have a better look, glad you like the pictures

Rog

• 4 months later...

A short ride today after a spell in the Lincoln county hospital, (not the best of starts to the new year but things can only get better) got the trike (jolly Roger) out of the bike shed and thought why not have a blast round on it, nowhere special just along our cycle/foot path between the two villages of Carlton le Moorland and Bassingham, only about 4 miles in total, averaged 15 mph going outward but a miserable 8.5mph coming back, feeling tired for the last mile but achieved what I wanted and that was to get out and ride, bike performed spot on, one of the audible warning systems on the trike failed though, I have a bell to warn folk when I'm approaching, if that don't alert them I usually give a quick blast on the "airzound" a 115db hooter operated by compressed air that is stored in a bottle under the seat, must have an air leak so maybe buy another one, (about £16.00) or maybe one of those rubber bulb type trumpet things, anyway the trike is back on the roads so weather permitting should get some more pics of up and coming rides

Rog

• Upvote 4
  • 1 month later...

This is for Plantfit, I passed a group of cyclist the other day, all but one on upright bikes. The other person was on a recumbent, except it was on 2 regular wheels, maybe 24 inch in diameter. How he balanced I'll never know. I was full of admiration, but also terrified he was going to tip over!

Hi Katyjay,

Not rode a two wheeled bent myself but have rode with plenty who do, they are a little bit wobbly at slow speed but nothing can keep up with them when they are going full chat, I think the world speed record on a bike is held by a recumbent, they are banned from the Tour de France because of their unfair advantage but I don't know how they would fare on some of the mountain sections,there are a lot of different types of recumbent bike from the "low riders where you are really low in the seat like my trike right through to the "high riders" where the seat is about the same height as a normal upright bike, either way they are great fun whether on two or three wheels, certainly they are crowd pullers every time you stop they attract a crowd of folk who want to talk about them, the best way I can describe riding one is sitting in a deckchair with your feet up just cruising along looking at the world going by,

You've made me jealous now because I can't get out on mine until I get the all clear from the Doc which should be in time for early summer (I hope)

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Had a short ride today not on the recumbent trike but the Roy Thame restoration bike I finished last winter ( pictures were posted), I fancied a pint of beer (unusual for me because I don't drink, just fancied a pint) anyway only rode to the next village (2 miles) because still grounded by the Doc from biking, steady ride down the cycle/footpath between the two villages, arrived at the Bugle Horn and ordered a pint of Cumberland ale, saw an advert for a charity bike ride on May 4th starting and finishing at the above pub a 22 mile ride (not a race) £5.00 entry fee so will have some of that providing the Doc say's it's ok, anyway drank my pint and was questioned by another customer about my bike, he said it was nice to see an old bike in such good condition, after I explained about the restoration I did on it he was even more impressed so that made my day, riding back home I started to feel really tired and had developed a bit of an headache (not drunk), suppose this is why the Doc grounded me, anyway settled down a bit now so next time I fancy a pint of beer I might have to walk to the pub, hope I will be ok for the charity ride though, I will be doing that on the recumbent trike

Rog

• Upvote 3

If you get nicked for drinking and cycling, do you get banned from riding a bike?

At my old house a neighbour from up the road used to come home on his bike late at night bladdered.

I heard him hit my car one night and fall off, then rode off!

Reminds me of the time I took the girls to Midnight Mass one Christmas eve, and one of our village characters was just returning home on his bike, from a lock in at the pub as we left the church....had to follow him for nearly a mile as he wobbled all over the single track country lane...didn't seem right to run him over on Christmas Eve!

• Upvote 4

Carries the same penalty as if you were drunk in charge of any vehicle on the road or so we are lead to believe when we go on different rides, we was told on the Great Nottingham bike ride we could get points on our driving licences if cought drunk on a push bike

Rog

• 1 month later...

Got the trike out for a spin this afternoon, nothing too ambitious though as still under medicine mans orders,I'll admit I defied those orders by getting the trike out and riding it,only steady though, anyway set off about 15.00hrs and only meant to ride to the next village but got carried away and continued onto Thurlby,ancestral home of Gonville Bromhead of the Rourkes drift (Zulu war) fame, turned left at the "T" junction and headed for the old airfield of Swinderby, it's now being excavated for sand and gravel for the construction industry,following the road past Thurlby lake and the airfield put me on a small lane called Butt lane leading to Norton Disney turning left again through the village and there was dark skies in front of me very dark skies,couldn't pick up speed to get home quicker ( must keep heart rate low) to try and avoid the imminent rain storm,didn't want to stop and seek shelter because Mrs plantfit would be worried if I wasn't home at a reasonable time (she wasn't too happy about me disobeying medicine mans orders) anyway only a couple of miles left before reaching the safety of home, as it was I only caught a few of the raindrops so not too bad, put the trike away in the bike shed and sat down for a bit to get my breath back and let the heart rate slow down, didn't take any pictures on this occasion as it was only supposed to be a short ride anyway most of the pics of the cycle/footpath have been posted on here before. Total ride time was 40 mins for the 6 mile ride, it can only be improved on.I'll try and sneak out on it again tomorrow or Monday

Rog

• Upvote 4

Well done Rog. Incidentally did you see The One Show the other night when one of the reporters went to Norton Disney? Apparently Walt Disney went there in 1949 looking for his ancestors in the churchyard.

• Upvote 1