Margie, here's some pictures of a Delta trike and the type you are thinking of when you hear trike mentioned,mine and the Delta shape are both recumbents the other one is an upright trike

2010_0417Tricycleclubride0005_zpshl1yzpw

2010_0417Tricycleclubride0009_zpsdc6zlsa

April%2016%202011%201_zpszeazfhl7.jpg

Hope this has cleared up the mystery for you

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

The last picture looks more like the trike I had when I was 3!!  I used to love it.... but mine had mudguards and a bell

Rog, The only time I tried riding a trike like that - I fell off!

I used to be a friend of an amazing tricyclist - Jim Hopper. I last saw him about 8 years ago in Brittany. I was out supporting my mate (ex Bullwell lad) who now lives in Brittany. Jim was riding the awesome Paris Brest Paris event. It transpired that Jim had used his fortnights holiday to ride the event. He rode from his Staffordshire home to Dover, caught the ferry to Calais and then rode to Paris. Completed the PBP event ( basically a 3 day event where you ride through the night) then rode back home via the ferry. He carried all of his travel kit with him for about 1300/1400 miles and didn't think it was such a big deal!. Absolutely amazing guy.

• Upvote 2

Had a similar experience PP but managed to stay on board,just,This Jim Hopper sounds an amazing guy,proper cyclist or should I say tricyclist not many would do that today and to give up his holiday thats true commitment.  BTW Did you check the Ice website

Rog

Yes i looked at the ICE website + a load more trike and whacky bike sites and pics. Looks like there is nothing new in bike/trike design - although that halfbike looks interesting for youngsters to fool around on.

• Upvote 1

Quite like the look of the Full Fat trike mesen,looks like if you got the legs it'll climb up a wall,it was on one of those that the record for getting to the south pole on a trike/bike was gained

Rog

Got mesen one of them action camera's to fit on me trike,nowt too expensive,just over twenty quid,anyway it arrived with enough bracketry to fit it to anything,tomorrow i'll get it on the trike and give it a whirl,not planning on doing owt with the video's until I get half decent at it,there's plenty on youtube without me adding to it,looking forward to tomorrows ride,probably set off early weather permitting and get a couple of hours in,hoping to get more miles than last years efforts,only did a couple of thousand miles all year (lazy sod),

Rog

Well my plans for a trike ride today was a wash out,it's chucking it down,got up early,06.30, to get the trike out and ready for the off at first light, oh well,theres always next weekend,so decided to clean my trike,a proper clean where you take all three wheels off,brake drums apart,remove the chain and let it soak in a tub of cleaner,checked all bearings for signs of wear,removed the seat so all I was left with was the bare frame with just a few parts attached,gave it a good clean and some good quality polish,started to fit all the other parts on,gave the chain a quick measure to check for wear and fitted it back on the trike connecting it together using quick links,no tools needed to remove and refit,same with the wheels all quick release fittings,don't need any spanners to remove/refit wheels,brakes,seat,handlebars,I think it cost about £70 for the quick release kit but it was worth it especially if you get a breakdown on a ride,the only tools I carry is a puncture kit,CO2 pump as recommended by Carni in one of her cycling posts,great bit of kit,I also carry a couple of Allen Keys and spare gear/brake cables,probably be able to fit all that in the  pocket of my cycling top,anyway enough of me rambling,back to the cycle shed to finish putting the trike back together

Rog

Continuing on the theme of riding to some of the company's sites and taking a pic of the trike in front of the entry sign,today I rode to Hykeham quarry (now finished) and Whisby concrete plant,I suppose a round trip of about 25-28 miles,set off early ,about 08.15 and headed to Pennels island,just a traffic island where the A46 turns left and the old Lincoln road goes to the right,a short way down there is the old Hykeham quarry site,making pretty good time at this point,took my picture and made for Hykeham railway station,well small platform, on reaching Whisby road I turned left and stayed on the cycle track past the new recycle center and Teal park (new industrial estate) the Pride of Lincoln is to the right if any of you know the area,all this so far has been up hill,(well gentle slope but hill for Lincolnshire) across the A46 near Whisby garden center and heading for Eagle/Thorpe on the Hill,got my second picture outside the concrete plant,now pointing in the right direction for home,about 7-8 miles to go when,I ran out of steam,forgot to take any drink or food with me,I was dehydrating and blood sugar levels were dropping,I didn't have any energy,thinking of stopping in Bassingham at Greens the shop for a Mars bar or some biscuits,that was all I could think of for the next few miles,I kept stopping and having a breather until I reached the shop,ate the Mars bar and just had a mile and half left until home,I won't do that again,what an idiot,lesson learned,anyway a couple of pics of the ride

IMG_0520_zpsnd2ky8dl.jpg

IMG_0523_zpsabzhmryk.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I would try out the new action camera today after fitting it to the trike yesterday,the only place it would fit was at the end of the right side handle bar under the rear view mirror,not the best place because I need that handle bar to change gear and use the bell,never mind it was just an experiment,I should be able to fit it to the upright that the front gear changer bolts to,a small job for the future,it seemed everyone and his dog was out this morning because most of my video footage is of me stopping and talking to people,but I did manage some good riding footage and the picture is very good quality to say it's only a cheap camera(£35.00 off Amazon) all I got to do now is learn how to edit the video,should keep me busy this afternoon,the weather has turned for the worse now as predicted by Carni in one of her posts,yes Carni it is slinging it down me duck,anyway must go got to get on with cooking dinner

Rog

• Upvote 2

Don't know about exotic but,Roast pork joint with crackling,roasted potato's partly crushed halfway through roasting to give a nice crispy edge,roasted parsnips,carrots,sprouts and diced potato's,in the oven for an hour then the last fifteen minutes drizzled (don't you just love that phrase?) with honey,home made gravy with a dash of white wine and of course home made yorkshire puds,just polished it off and all the pots washed and dried,a cuppa for Mrs P and catch up on the website for me,life dunt get much better

Rog

• Upvote 5

I like that idea Plantfit but we can't get parsnips here. One year I brought seeds back and planted them , not one came up the mice got them all. 

Nonna,If you do get some parsnips shave them with a speed peeler,top and tail them cut them down the center length ways and same again so you have four lengths cut them across the width two thirds up so you have the thicker part being the shortest,speed peel the carrots and cut across (like penny's) about half centimetre thick then cut them in half,sprouts cuts off stalk,cut in half,spuds,cut into cubes about centimetre and half square,put in bowl,with salt and black pepper,drizzle with olive oil and shake,put on baking tray and in oven at 170 for hour,turning regularly,last 15 minutes drizzle with honey, scrummy

Rog,

(I know this should be in the recipe thread but I was answering previous post)

• Upvote 1

Blimey Rog, you've made me feel hungry now. I'd better get up soon and get some breakfast !

• Upvote 1

Make some Fly,don't take long,after all the veg have done all the hard work growing and filling up with taste,all we got to do is make em look presentable and sling em in the oven thumbsup

Rog

• Upvote 1

Will do Rog, I love my root vegetables !

• Upvote 1

Well I got the new action camera fitted as I said in an earlier post but when I come to look at the video footage it was clear I needed to mount the camera in a different place because as well as filming the road in front you could also see my right front wheel and mudguard and my right lower leg and cycling shoe,so after a fair bit of head scratching I came up with the idea of using an old handlebar stem I had in the shed and mounted it upside down on a light bracket next to the light,with the stem pointing skyward it gave the perfect mounting point for the camera,(I will take a photo and post later),out for a test ride down the local cycle/foot path,downloaded the footage when I got home and the picture was spot on,no wheel or leg and shoe in view just the road and surrounding hedgerows,whilst I was in the shed looking for the stem I found one of my old cycle computer/speedometer,a wirless one, also found the sender unit the part that fits to the fork,both parts needed new batteries which I had,all I had to do was find a suitable place to mount the sender unit (having no forks as such on the trike) and the computer screen,after even more head scratching I made a tube bracket for the computer and fitted that to the mudguard frame,(another picture to post later) anyway all looking good so will have a blast down to Brant Broughton later today to try both modifications out

Rog

I followed your recipe for the roasted veg yesterday, Rog, and they were delicious.  We had them with sausages and some crusty bread.... sounds a strange combination but it was very good

• Upvote 2

In this picture you can see the upside down handlebar stem with the waterproof case (camera in house on charge) mounted to it

P1050481_zpsy8prnyck.jpg

and in this one you can see where I fitted the computer to the mudguard frame via an home made tubular bracket,in the bottom of the picture on the black steerer tube is the computer sender unit that picks up a signal via a magnet on a spoke

P1050482_zpsiczb1exf.jpg

Rog

Had to take the quick release wheel skewers off the trike and replace them with the original fixed through bolt and nut,trike wouldn't fit through the front garden gate because of the extra width of the trike with them fitted,it's only about half inch either side but it was enough to catch on the gate posts,never mind eh? computer working ok in current position,easy to read when cycling,at the moment and after covering only about 50 miles over three days riding locally I am averaging 14.6 mph which is not too bad,legs are feeling better too now I'm getting some miles in them and the breathing seems to be improving,lost one of me flags yesterday somewhere on the way back home,the single union flag on the left side of the trike,never mind soon get another one,might give it a good clean tomorrow as Mrs P is at the gym in the morning then I pick her up and go to the supermarket after that so time is a bit tight,all Saturday untouched though so who knows

Rog

Just a short ride today of about 7-8 miles to Stapleford village (Lincolnshire) over to Beckingham (Notts/Lincs border) upto Brant Broughton and back home,a few pictures on the way,Scotwater bridge looking towards Bassingham with Norton Disney to the left

P1050487_zpsiq4zksdw.jpg

My view from the trike of Stapleford village

P1050489_zpsvu2dzdqg.jpg

Over the river Witham again this time near Beckingham ranges

P1050490_zpskefwtfy9.jpg

and a new bit of bling on the rear deralleur,blue anodised CNC'd jockey wheels to replace the boring black nylon ones

P1050495_zpsqupnau9a.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 5

Please stop, please please.. all this biking is tiring me out!

I'm so exhausted just thinking about it  I'm off for a lie down... noblue

Good photos though...

• Upvote 1

Very windy here today so I am looking at changing my mesh seat on the trike to a hard shell,slightly less comfortable than the mesh but more power to the pedals because less flex on the hard shell,need to fit some brackets to the hard shell so plenty of measuring and drilling to do, This is the current set up

P1050500_zpsasijttc7.jpg

and the new hard shell,(fibre glass)

P1050501_zpsdbksxzoq.jpg

The hard shell will need a seat cover,not cheap,but will trawl the net looking for a bargain,might even look at some high density self adhesive foam,and cut out some shapes,it will need ventilation building in so different thicknesses of foam might be needed to allow for air flow

Rog

• Upvote 1

Hard shell seat now fitted,I had to fill in the old screw holes using fibre glass filler because the brackets didn't line up with the fittings on the trike,new holes were drilled in the correct places and countersunk so I could do away with the large washers on the screw heads,it looks a lot neater now,will have a blast round the local lanes in a bit to see how I get on,

P1050502_zpsaitwpxpg.jpg

I will change the hard shell seat back to my mesh seat sometime today but I have been wanting to get the hard shell lined up and fitted for a long time,once I have located a cover for it I might fit it and leave it,the only covers I have found so far are from Holland,a company called Ventisit but they cost over a hundred pounds so I might have a look at some high density self adhesive foam as I mentioned,anyroad off for a ride now

Rog

• Upvote 1