Nice ride out on the trike this morning,about 15 miles in all,a bit windy on the way back from the bottom of Waddington,glad I wasn't on the top road known as the Lincoln ridge (A607 I think) it would have been really windy up there,luckily enough you don't catch the headwind so much on a recumbent because you are more aerodynamic,saw a lot of the Lycra clad brigade on their posh road bikes and most of them gave me a wave or shouted "good morning" or I hope thats what they shouted,called in at Greens shop in Bassingham and picked up a packet of rich Tea biccy's just to replace my lost sugar on the ride,a nice steady ride up the cycle track/footpath to our village was spoiled by the discovery of this poor woman and her husband standing in the road,their dog had just been run over,very upsetting,trouble is around here a lot of car drivers treat the lanes like a race track and go like the clappers down them,they are full of blind bends and a lot of the drivers think the white lines in the road should be the center line of the car especially when they go round the bends,sort of upset the rest of the trike ride after that,so an even steadier ride back home after that,hopefully tomorrow's ride won't be so eventful

Rog

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

only about 8 miles today,when I got home I made a trike support to put under the frame of the trike should I need to remove a wheel or repair a puncture,you cant tip a trike upside down to remove a wheel like you can on a diamond framed bicycle so,a piece of ply wood about 20 inches long and 6 inches wide,2 inch hole cut in the center of plywood,then cut plywood in half cutting through the 2 inch hole,(the hole is for the frame to sit in when supporting the frame,) put the two halves together with the hole at the top and cover over with some carpet or other protective material,I stapled the carpet to the plywood but you could glue it,I drilled a small hole three quarters the way down the plywood and put some string through both holes tying a knot in the string on the outsides of the ply to stop the ply from spreading apart,it folds away to  approx 10 inches by 6 inches by about half inch thick and it fits in my pannier bag without taking up too much room,saves my wheel rims from damage should I need to remove a tyre and saves damage to the rear derailleur should I need to remove the rear wheel (prevents the rear derailleur sitting on the ground

P1050514_zpsmvnc1voh.jpg

I suppose it could be used for things other than trikes if you need to keep thing off the ground and you can't lift them

Rog

A nice ride out yesterday,this time on the other side of the A46 to my usual routes,I wanted to go up through Thorpe on the Hill,down through Eagle,Eagle Hall and onto Swinderby village where I planned to have a short stop to have a quick snack and a drink,after that it was onwards to my halfway point of Collingham which I am pleased to say is in Nottinghamshire (good to be back in my own county) another swig of water and a couple of biscuits then start to make my way back home,this time going over the A46 nearer to Newark the Brough turnoff to be precise

then only a few miles left before getting home,a nice round trip of about 35-40 miles,picture as follows

P1050537_zpsiegsuiqw.jpg

going over the A46 at the Thorpe on the Hill turnoff

P1050538_zpsrv35xodd.jpg

this one speaks for itself

P1050541_zpsmijv9ffm.jpg

Swinderby crossing box

P1050545_zpsg4v5fnnz.jpg

Happy food on my trike seat,two biccy's and a banana

P1050549_zpsqfofx0iw.jpg

Saw this and thought of Jill

Rog

• Upvote 4

Todays foray into Lincoln,

P1050552_zpshdp15mjl.jpg

Bike hire station on Tritton road

P1050554_zpswgjmboau.jpg

WW1 Tank display on the island at the university end of Tritton road

P1050555_zpssxpiykfk.jpg

view from the other side of the display

P1050556_zpsrttonf91.jpg

My trike with Lincoln cathedral in the background,I did think about riding up Steep Hill but I didn't think too long so didn't bother

Rog

• Upvote 4

A few more pictures from Saturday's ride now photobucket is working

P1050539_zpswldevuti.jpg

riding into Eagle village after going through Eagle Barnsdale,Eagle Hall,

P1050540_zpsmfxyauis.jpg

Swinderby village cemetary the writing around the arch reads "They have passed through the valley of the shodow of death and have entered eternal life"

P1050542_zpskpropgxz.jpg

In front of Swinderby village station,Why are rural village stations so far from the village?

P1050547_zpsab3tx7gy.jpg

Bluebells and trike,on my way home now after a great ride

Rog

• Upvote 3

A good ride out today first to Beckingham passed the MOD ranges then onto the A17 and turned towards Newark got to the small island where you turn left for Coddington or right for Stapleford/Norton Disney,I elected to go to Coddington then onto Newark going down Beacon hill where I reached the eye watering speed of 43 mph,got into Newark market place,had a look round some sort of flea market on but not much to tempt me to part with any money,I then rode into the castle grounds where there was a re-enactment society setting up camp,they were all dressed in period clothing from the 1640's,had a good chat with some of the folk there and found them very interesting and knowledgable about the English civil war,didn't fancy riding back up Beacon hill so took the Balderton road where I saw a sign for the "Polish war graves" so I rode up the drive through the cemetery and had a few minutes time for reflection looking at the headstones of all those young people who gave their lives,back on the main road again and turned left along the back road to Coddington village,the wind was in my face now so got the trike in a lower gear and plodded on,back to the small island on the A17 but went straight on this time through Stapleford wood and back home,I suppose about 35 miles again,I did take some pictures but as yet not having much success with photobucket so when that gets sorted I will put the pictures on

Rog

• Upvote 1

Managed to get my pictures off photobucket

P1050591_zpslzoznism.jpg

Lovely sign this,heading towards the county of my birth

P1050592_zpse8iavl4x.jpg

Between Coddington and Newark

P1050594_zpsmxrf9jz2.jpg

In the castle grounds and the Civil war camp

P1050601_zpsxei9k0ay.jpg

Time for reflection,the Polish war graves Newark

P1050604_zps7o610cun.jpg

Back road to Coddington

P1050605_zpswpm9wjyi.jpg

Only four miles to go and a nice cuppa and bacon sandwich

Rog

• Upvote 5

I'm fascinated by your trike. I've always wanted to try one as I've given up on conventional bikes now it seems it's compulsory to dress as a trapeze artist to ride one. Why do you choose it over a conventional bike? Do you feel exposed to danger in traffic being so low down? Are you exposed to ridicule by those who don't appreciate them? I know your part of Lincs well - living just over the border for 55 years. Is it not scary round those twisty roads now that tractors are too wide for the lanes and are generally driven at high speed by cowboys?

Phil

Nice post Phil with plenty of questions to answer,I'll give it a go,I chose the trike because I have gone through the racing bike phase with all the Lycra,spend most of your time leaning on your arms and wrists,and a sore butt looking at the front wheel and a couple of yards of road in front of you,I've had mountain bikes with similar effects ie:all the weight on your wrists,arms and neckand a sore butt, with the trike I am laid back in a sort of deck chair arrangement and we all know how comfortable they are,no weight on my wrists,arms or neck and I can see all around me plus in my case my middle is not all scrunched up restricting my breathing and no sore butt,I have two rear view mirrors so can see anything coming up behind me at all times,I have two flashing rear lights on at all times and my flags flying so anyone coming up behind can see me from way back,I don't feel exposed to any danger at all from motorists in fact quite the opposite,I find they give me far more room when they overtake me and if they are not sure they will hang back until they know they can give me plenty of room,, as for ridicule,complete opposite again,if ever you stop anywhere,outside the shops,waiting for pedestrians to cross etc everyone wants to talk about the trike,so if you are a quiet/private person a trike will be no good for you but if you enjoy talking to people get a trike,they are quick on the flat,lightening fast down hill but painfully slow uphill but in saying that you just put the park brake on when you run out of steam and lay back until you are ready to set off again,if you want to come over the border sometime and have a go on my trike we can arrange a meeting place

Rog

I never was a quiet private person so making an exhibition of myself is a regular occurrence! I might take you up on your offer when I get over the aches and pains of gardening, planting and chain sawing. At 74 I'm not looking for unneccessary exertions! I regularly pass your way, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I was just wondering if people rode them for medical or therapeutic reasons. I rather fancy a large version of the three wheeler I had when I was a child. We had an old chap in the village, many years ago, who used to ride such a trike. He was known as "Peddler Palmer". He rode it up to the station where he lifted it, with help, onto the train and went off to Newark to do his shopping. I bet you couldn't do that now.

Phil,Check out a couple of website,CTC forum and Cycle chat,look for human powered vehicles,also look at youtube,and type in recumbent trike rides,I am on a couple of the together with other trike riders especially rutland water ride and draycote water ride,also look out for any video poster by Graham Williams all very interesting

Rog

Thanks for that, I'll take a look. An old friend of mine, Graham Read (still living) called himself "the Raleigh Cycle King" and traded from an enormous bike shop in Netherfield. I don't recollect him selling any recumbents though. A Rolls was his preferred mode of travel!

• Upvote 1

Plantfit, today on Mapperley Plains we saw a chap on a two-wheel recumbent, looked dangerous! Must be a lot more difficult to control when balancing is an issue?  

• Upvote 1

Never rode one of them Lizzie but have rode with plenty who do,once you get used to riding them they are ok,you just got to forget everything you learned when you learned to ride a upright bike,to be honest I have been looking on "youtube" just lately seeing how others went on learning to ride them,wouldn't mind one myself to be fair,will have to see what the future holds,what I do know is,they are much faster than an upright bike,thats why the UCI banned them in  the 1920's because they have an unfair advantage over uprights being more streamlined,aerodynamic

Rog

Had to book a couple of appointments at the doctors so thought I would have a nip down on the trike,it's only a couple of miles away,strong cold headwind and managed an average speed of 8 mph going there,tail wind on the way back home,average speed,15 mph,why can't I have a tailwind everywhere I go? good ride though,got a couple of little jobs to sort out in the greenhouse then out again for a blast round the lanes

Rog

I think the incentive is the trike cost a fair bit of money and it would be a waste if it just sat in the shed,I agree with you though it would have been easier and quicker if I nipped to the docs in the car but then again you could argue the car cost a fair bit of money and it's sat in the car park,

Today though I only had my cycling longs on and a sweat shirt,it was a bit cool to start with and the incentive there was to ride a bit harder/faster in order to warm up plus I do enjoy riding the trike  thumbsup

Rog

• Upvote 1

I did my RAF basic training in the Swinderby area Rog.  Your photos brought back many memories, some good - some not so good. Thanks for posting them.  A former manager of mine became landlord of the pub in Eagle; I wonder if he is still there?  Surname escapes me at the moment, Christian name: Pat.

The old Swinderby airfield is now in the process of being dug up for sand and gravel extraction by the company I used to work for,could be interesting when they get to the dump area,who knows what they will dig up,Next time I'm in the Swinderby village area I will get some more pics for you compo,funny thing is the airfield is nowhere near the village.

Rog

• Upvote 1

As I recall, the village of Swinderby is over a mile from eh airfield guard room gates.  I think there were some officers married quarters in the village though.  I seem to recall a café on the main road (A46) just Lincoln side of the airfield turnoff. It was on the left as you went towards Lincoln from Newark....?

My husband and a colleague set up a business in 1985, operating out of the old Swinderby airfield.  The address at the time was Camp Road, Swinderby.  He hasn't had any involvement with the company for many years but some time ago their address changed to Camp Road, Witham St Hughes but it's still in the same location. 

• Like 1

Witham st Hugh's is getting bigger by the day,when I first got a job out here (2004) we looked at some of the new builds on the new estate,just looked like hutches and they were going for over £120'000, £100'000 for a one bed apartment,a lot of people bought the places though but,should we say some of our european cousins started to rent some of the places and a lot of the owners jumped on the rent out bandwagon,not such a desireable place to live now I've been informed, Compo there are still some of the old officers quarters between Witham st Hugh's and Thurlby,they are nice places and the residents pooled some money to by nice  electrically operated iron gates to go on the entrance to the little estate to stop it being used as a rat run,Compo,You didn't by any chance visit a farm house in Thurlby with a ladder permanantly attached to a certain bedroom window did you? (local story)

Rog

• Like 1

212.  Glad to hear Graham Read is still alive and well, Phil.  Bought my first bike from him when he had a little one room store at the end of Curzon Street, Netherfield.  That was late fifties so he must be into his eighties or nineties by now.  He gave me a fair deal.  Glad he did well.

• Upvote 1

Nice weather today so out on the trike for a blast around the local lanes,down to Stapleford then cut off to Beckingham near the ranges,start heading east to Brant Broughton where I stopped for a drink of water and a look round the place,this is the place where the Quakers took off from to join the Mayflower and head for the new world,bought a bar of chocolate from the Forge village shop 50 pence! good job I took more than a tanner with me,anyway a few pics of Brant

P1050644_zpsdmlzxt2m.jpg

lovely row of cottages,not sure if they are not Alms houses

P1050645_zpsjgkvd49z.jpg

The church is tucked away up a narrow lane and takes some finding

P1050646_zpsn69iajlq.jpg

This is the spire you can see on the left between Newark and Cranwell when going to Skegness up the A17 at the junction of Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe,

P1050647_zpsxt9w1mto.jpg

Just about to leave the village and head for home only a few miles to go,great ride,great weather

Rog