On 14/05/2017 at 2:47 PM, loppylugs said:

212.  Glad to hear Graham Read is still alive and well, Phil.  Bought my first bike from him when he had a little one room store at the end of Curzon Street, Netherfield.  That was late fifties so he must be into his eighties or nineties by now.  He gave me a fair deal.  Glad he did well.

He lives in Wetherby Yorkshire now to be near his daughter. He was over a couple of weeks ago and had lunch with a friend of mine. He's in his 80's now and has just given up his pilot's licence! He never was much good at navigation.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Just a couple of pictures from my early morning ride to Coddington this morning,I took these photo's in Stapleford wood on my way back home,Rhododendrons,just like riding through a coloured tunnel

P1050680_zpsd91agrpp.jpg

P1050682_zps3xxomn5x.jpg

Hope you enjoy my pictures as much as I enjoy taking them

Rog

• Upvote 4

Not on one of my bike/trike rides but an interesting recumbent bike I saw in Loughborough yesterday,it's a two wheeled, front wheel drive bike,apparently they are pretty quick and much easier to pedal along once you are used to the different riding technique

P1050687_zps0dwiogij.jpg

Rog

• How on earth do you steer it? It looks as though the pedals move with the wheel in which case how do you pedal it in anything other than a straight line?

Steer it the same way as a childs tricycle with the pedals on the front wheel,the steering has very little movement when riding around corners because you lean into them,I think,must try and have a go on one some day,

Rog

• 3 months later...

While out on me trike yesterday I was stopped by a gent from the next village who was driving in the opposite direction to me,he got out of his Range Rover and crossed the road towards me,I thought "another conversation about how fast the trike can go and how much do they cost" the usual conversation when you ride a recumbent trike,I was wrong he started ranting and raving about my front flashing light asking me if I am trying to blind everyone on the road with that light,he was not a happy bunny, I said "the main thing is you could see me" to which he went barmy and started shouting all the more,I just rode off leaving him in the road shouting and waving, one of the main questions I get asked about the trike is "can motorists see you on that with it being so low down?" I think that gent answered that question,  my front light is a standard "Cree" cycle light that cost about forty quid,be safe be seen or in the case of this gent it could easily have been "be seen get threatened" ah well you can't win them all

Rog

• Like 2

Most people who drive Range Rovers these days seem to be arrogant pillocks, a bit like a lot of cyclists, but I exclude you Rog! I must admit I've had a couple of Range Rovers and occasionally ride a bike. However I don't dress up like a trapeze artist when I'm cycling.

• Like 1

I've got to go into Newark tomorrow but I should make it back before they arrive. Newark is bad for traffic at the best of times so routing the Tour of Britain through there is going to cause absolute chaos. All we want is railway crossing barriers to be stuck down like they are so regularly since the system was "improved" and I can foresee absolute mayhem. I think it's wrong that cycling events of this size are held on major roads. A lot of people in essential jobs need to get around. The event should have been held on the Tissington Trail.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

^^^^^^Having booked 3 jobs in Sutton In Ashfield tomorrow I now find all the roads are closed in the area of the works, that will be phone calls in the morning to cancel .............not getting mixed up with that lot.:angry::angry:

Now where to I send my bill for loss of earnings:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Good trike ride out this morning,about 15-16 miles,just over an hours riding along the flat,from home to Somerton castle which is just west of Boothby Graffoe, built by the Bishop of Durham in the late 1200's,I think it might be open to the public just once or twice a year,I have never been yet, from there along the road to the bottom of Harmston hill and turn left towards Auburn,nice little village with a stunning little church, ( I have been there a few years ago and took some photo's so I will find them out and post them,there is also another church or rather just the tower that is used as a reading room,heading back towards home now along a muddy road,mud left by tractors and lorries fetching the potato harvest in, strange smell in the still air as I pass the old farm gate,it is the scent of the fox,no mistaking that,into Bassingham passed Badgers Oak,a few posh houses that were built about ten-twelve years ago when we first moved out here, a quick right turn then sharp left and onto Lincoln road and pick up the cycle / footpath that joins our two villages only a couple of miles left now,saw me mate Woody and had a natter for a bit,he's got a small cart outside his house with home grown fruit and veg for sale,pick what you want and leave the money in the "honesty box" fair enough, he tells me some one stole the honesty box and contants a couple of weeks ago and he is now asking cutomers to put the money through his letter box,yes we even have em out here,anyway back home now,a quick coffee and then wipe me trike down ready for the next ride, for the cycle minded I have ordered a pair of bar end gear shifters to replace the "grip shifters" that are on the trike at the moment,they should be here by midweek so I might take some photo's of the before and after fitting them.

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 05/09/2017 at 1:41 PM, plantfit said:

You'll see plenty tomorrow Phil when the Tour of Britain comes to Newark on the way from Mansfield

Rog

Just what is the point of having this every year or whenever, I just cannot see any valid point whatsoever.

Picture of Aubourn church as mentioned on my last trike ride

Auburn_church_6.jpg

Auburn_church_3.jpg

Auburn_church.jpg

Auburn_church_4.jpg

If you are ever in the area try and seek it out,it's well worth it

Rog

• Like 2

Well I got the new gear shifters fitted to the trike and took a shortish ride out today to try them,all worked very well although they will take some getting used to,the old ones were twist grip type where you twisted the handle bar grip one way or the other to change up or down through the gears,the new ones are thumb shifters where you have a small lever at the handle bar end, in the case of the trike they point upwards,push forward to change to a lower gear and pull back towards you to go to the higher gears,what I didn't realise was there is no cable adjusters on them so I have sent away for a couple of in line adjusters, to fit them you have to cut the outer gear cable and fit them between the two cable ends, giving you a small amount of adjustment to take out any slack when the cables bed in,another thing I didn't think about was there is no where to fit my mirrors to now the bar ends are occupied by the new shifters,I have ordered two "bar ends" short pieces of handle bar that fit on the original handle bars to give a different hand hold position,if I mount these below the brake levers I should be able to fit the mirrors to the ends of them,I can also fit my bell and "Airzound" horn on them as well so it should make for a neat job,I will put some pictures up when I have done it, all in all very pleased with them and look forward to many thousands of trike miles with them

Rog

Another good ride this morning,a bit cooler  but soon warmed up, from home to Norton Disney via Scotwater bridge over the river Witham.loads of conkers on the road too and through Norton,don't kids collect them anymore? through the village and out through Butt lane to Swinderby lane and passed the old RAF Swinderby airfield,now being excavated for sand and gravel,down to Thurlby village,Thurlby is the ancestral home of Gonville Bromhead,he was one of the lieutenants who commanded and successfully defended Rourkes Drift during the Zulu wars of 1879 and was one of the recipients of the Victoria cross,onwards to Bassingham village,the school run is now over so I should be able to ride up the main road until I reach the cycle/footpath,during the school run you can't get up the road near the school for motor vehicles parked along the road,bloody nightmare,no wonder the little darlings are overweight being driven to school instead of walking or riding their bikes,anyway,on the cycle path now and just a mile and half to home, really enjoyed the ride and the gears worked a treat,I have attached a few pictures of the old and new gear setup,

P1060157.jpg

old "grip shift"gear changer

P1060159.jpg

New bar end thumb shifters ready for fitting

P1060160.jpg

New shifters in place at the top of my handlebars,if they were fitted to a conventional road/racing bike the levers would stick out the end of the bars facing the rear of the bike.

Rog

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five miles into the ride and it started to rain,nothing too bad so I carried on,the further I road the heavier the rain,well you only get wet once, so carried on to Brayford, I was making good time as well, I arrived at the Brayford pool fifty minutes after setting off, did a bit of posing up and down the roadway and quite a few people were taking pictures on their phones of the trike (probably with the caption look at this idiot) I was about to leave the warfe and go up the bridge back to the cycle track along Tritton road when Mrs P appeared from the gym offering to give me a race along the front, it dint happen but she did take a picture of me with my trike,,a steady ride back home through the rain taking the scenic route through Skellingthorpe,Whisby,Thorpe on the Hill,Haddington,Aubourn,Bassingham and back home, around trip of about 35-38 miles, anyway here's a few pics

P1060174.jpg

P1060177.jpg

Brayford Pool Lincoln

P1060179.jpg

The Jolly Roger and a wet Roger at the Brayford

P1060180.jpg

Mrs P trying out the trike,said she couldn't pedal it (dint tell her the parking brake was on)

Rog

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

They are moving my workplace from Kimberley to Beeston which makes my commute 1 1/2 miles from home so I got the old bike out (Peugeot yeti) to recce it, not been on it for 2years. 13 minutes there, 15 mins back, it's uphill. If you see me don't laugh too loud.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Not riding today as it was the weekly shop at Sainsbury's to start with,after we got home Mrs P went to the gym while I put the shopping away and did a bit of tidying up,the post arrived a bit early and my new gear cables that I use for my parking brake caliper were in it,so out came the trike and on the garden bench with the front wheels and the workmate for the rear wheel this gives me a good working platform at about waste height saves me having to kneel on wet grass,stripped the old cable out,oiled the new one and refitted it re routing it a bit to miss the brake cable and the high pressure air hose for the horn/hooter,I also fitted a water jacket over the cable at the disc caliper end to help keep the muck out,tried it out and it worked ok, I will have a ride out on the trike tomorrow probably to Newark,should be able be able to test the park/slowing down brake on Beacon hill,anyway a couple of pictures of the disc caliper and new water jacket

P1060181.jpg

P1060182.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Rog.......i'd love to sit and watch you working on your 'thingy'..with a..... ''.nice strong coffee and a fag.''.............pity you live so far away...........lol.

• Like 1

I thought you would appreciate the technical aspect of the brake cable change Ben.

Mike,nice looking bit of kit,not seen one before,I have a turbo trainer in my bike shed that I can put the back end of the rike on and pedal that with different resistance levels,I only use that if the weather is too bad to ride the lanes,I have a picture somewhere,I will post it if I can find it,sure Ben would like to see it

Rog

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, sue B 48 said:

What route are you taking Den I'll look out for you and give you a wave.unionflag

Up Cow lane past Roger Moores old house and then down the path that runs through Beeston fields golf course. If I'm going uphill can you give me a push? If I'm going downhill I'll give you a lift on the handlebars.

• Like 6