A couple of pictures of the trike sitting on the turbo trainer,as you can see the back wheel of the trike is on the resistance wheel of the magnetic roller,the more resistance you put on the magnets via a cable to more power you need to turn the back wheel of the trike,you sit in the trike in the normal way and pedal,it does get a bit boring after a time though just looking at the shed door and the back tyre of the trike does tend to get a bit warm from the friction created but at least I can still ride the trike in the roughest of bad weather

P1060184.jpg

P1060185.jpg

You can go through the gears as normal to amintain your pedalling cadence,mine is only running at about 70 pedal strokes a minute

Rog

• Like 1
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Bit of a ride out this morning to Newark,water bottle filled with Anglia waters finest,two bananas in me bag and off we go through Stapleford woods,I took a picture of the view from my seat, over the A17 and stopped in the layby there for one of the bananas and a swig of water,off again through Coddington and on the cycle/footpath to the top of Beacon hill,another picture before decending at 40 plus mph, sat in traffic waiting for the lights to change then into the market place,stopped there and got myself a hot sausage roll from "Henry's" nice little cafe,a couple of people came upto me to talk about the trike,very friendly folk, rode up to the bike shop to get a couple of bits then a bit more posing in the market place before heading out to Balderton to pick up the Barnby road,by going this way I miss out Beacon hill,I think I would really struggle going UP the hill, the way I go there is a series of smaller/shorter climbs but they are more do-able had to stop at the east coast mainline rail crossing at Barnby road L/C just south of Newark and wait for three high speed trains to go by, Last leg home now and another water and banana stop in Stapleford wood, pictures to follow

P1060194.jpg

My view as I'm riding along

P1060196.jpg

Top of Beacon hill

P1060197.jpg

Newark market place in the background

P1060198.jpg

Barnby road L/C south of Newark

P1060200.jpg

Sign speaks for itself, in total just over thirty miles round trip

Rog

• Like 2

The odd recumbant I see around here, has a bright pennant on the top if a wire sticking up at the back of the bike, so they are visible to traffic.

We did have a chap in the village who used ride round our twisty lanes on an electric powered invalid type waggon. We were all concerned about him - having had some close encounters. He was persuaded to have a pole with a flag. It was a very long pole with a large flag but at least you could see it over the tops of the hedges and he never came to grief on the road.

I forgot to put my flag on the trike this morning, I did have a flashing white light on the front and three flashing red ones on the back,

Rog

Not a trike ride today because my new Ergo Flo mesh seat cover has arrived to upgrade my trike to a more upto date spec, I got my trike new in 2009 so thought it was time I treated myself and my trike, the new mesh has cordura padded side panels for more comfort and the main mesh is a lot finer than the old one,it is fitted to the 6061 aircraft aluminium frame by a series of adjustable tension belts,these can be adjusted to tailor the fit to the rider, not cheap but what is these days. anyway heres a few pics of the old and new mesh

P1060231.jpg

seat removed showing old mesh

P1060232.jpg

new mesh fitted

P1060233.jpg

back in the trike in my (untidy) bike shed,all tension belts adjusted and ready to go,except it's chucking down with rain at the moment so I will have to wait

Rog

Managed an hour and half ride after the rain stopped at lunchtime,not been on the trike for a couple of days with Mrs P having "women flu" on Thursday and the dreaded carpet fitting of yesterday,took a few miles to get me leg muscles to loosen off but when they did it was a nice comfortable ride, had to stop just outside Haddington because someone wanted to ask a few questions about the trike, usual questions like,how fast does it go,is it comfortable,don't you feel worried being that low down and the old favourite how much do they cost, I don't mind talking about the trike as you know and certainly don't mind answering question from anyone who asks,as the old advert used to say "It's good to talk" after that I rode along the cycle path that runs alongside the A46 from Lincoln to Newark until I reached Witham st Hughs,passed there onto Thurlby and back home through Bassingham,riding along the cycle path there I saw someone walking about 50 yards in front so I started to ring my bell and as I got closer I was ringing it quicker until I noticed the person had some of them white ear plug thingy's in their ears listening to music,no wonder she didn't hear the bell so a quick blast on the "Airzound" air horn attracted her attention,so much so that she started swearing and giving me all sorts of abuse for frightening her,I just said "Good afternoon" and carried on riding,apart from that little setback it was a good ride, trike in the bike shed now all wiped down ready for the next ride

Rog

• Upvote 1

Bought a couple of small head lights for the trike,6 LED per light powered by two button cell batteries, they are about half the size of an egg cup, either light on all the time or you can have them in flashing mode, got them both for under three pounds, got to be a bargain there,and that included postage, anyway fitted them on my handlebars one on each just below the gear selector lever,

P1060235.jpg

P1060236.jpg

made out of aluminium and anodised blue to match the colour of the trike

Rog

No Chinese I hope Rog !

Phew ! Hopefully they won't explode when used in wet weather then !

It must be nice to have vehicle to work on and tune and add gadgets to. You can’t easily do that with modern cars without compromising the electronic control systems and giving the insurers something to argue about. With a bike like Rog’s, unless your’e doing something completely stupid like removing one of the braking systems you can do pretty much what you like. The last vehicles I could actually work on, tune and modify were a Morgan 4/4, a Morgan +8 and a Caterham 7 which I built from a factory kit. Happy days!:)

• Like 1

Thats the thing about trike riders Phil, they are always adding bits and bobs, making their own parts and carrying out modifications,the basic running gear is mainly mountain bike stuff,gears,brakes,wheels etc which is readily available it's when you come to recumbent bike/trike specific parts that it gets expensive, the head rest you see in the pictures of my trike costs £75.00, the front chain ring guard is £70.00 and my new seat mesh cover I wrote about was over £100.00, although I have all these extras fitted to my trike a lot of the other stuff I have made/modified myself, good fun and a sense of achievement if it works, perhaps we are harking back to the days when we could do similar stuff with our cars/motor bikes,you get the same feeling when you've done it

Rog

Yes, it would be nice to have another “toy” to play with. Even when I open the bonnet of my car and remove the engine covers there’s nothing I can do other than admire it. Gone are the days when you used to tune and balance the carburettors, check the timing and measure the points gap on the Sunday morning services! I suppose we have greater reliability now but sometimes I wish for a moderately unreliable car. I hope I don’t regret that last remark!

• Like 1

If i were to lift the 'bonnet' of my car,......which is not very often...........all i can see is my 'Dipstick' and where to put water.......i'm happy with that.........lol.

• Upvote 1

Cars have always been my hobby - plus many others but usually to do with all things electrical or mechanical. My son’s inherited this trait and although he’s an academic lawyer he has a very well equipped engineering workshop at home. I know a few clever people in their particular professions who are highly talented in their other interests which are totally different from their day jobs.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

If i were to lift the 'bonnet' of my car,......which is not very often...........all i can see is my 'Dipstick' and where to put water.......i'm happy with that.........lol.

Some drivers have to look in the rear view mirror before they see a dipstick.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Had a really nice trike ride to Lincoln this morning,clear blue skies and just a touch of frost (still wore me shorts though) set off with a banana in me bag and me water bottle full of water, fair bit of traffic about going along the road through Hykeham but I was on the cycle path and the motorist were very friendly especially at the traffic lights, one guy even wound his window down and had a natter asking about my trike, arrived at the Brayford pool and stopped to do a bit of people watching, I think some were watching me because quite a few of them wanted to take my picture with the trike,probably going to check the pictures against some of the wanted posters, anyroad a couple of pictures one in front of the WW1 tank memorial on the traffic island at the end of Tritton road and the other out side the phone box in Thurlby

P1060250.jpg

P1060251.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

Most of the muck is thrown on the trike main frame and steering components from the front wheels, the rear wheel throws the muck onto the area of flat mudguard just behind the seat, to get a mudguard for the rear would mean buying a pair and they are a bit expensive, the front ones being close to a hundred quid,

Thanks for showing interest though Brew

Rog

• Like 1