I have now been in to Mick Brown at Hilltop Eastwood for some advice and he has suggested that the best bike for me would be a hybrid. I see where he is coming from now that I have looked more closely at them. As it is a bit hilly around here he has said that I will really need the 18 gears.

• Like 1
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Hybrid would be the better choice, glad you got advice from an independent shop, pop down to Decathlon and see what they have on offer,their bikes are called "Btwin"

Rog

17 hours ago, plantfit said:

Hybrid would be the better choice, glad you got advice from an independent shop, pop down to Decathlon and see what they have on offer,their bikes are called "Btwin"

Rog

Just been in Decathlon to have a look at their bikes. Can't say that I was impressed. Nobody to talk to.

58 minutes ago, plantfit said:

You can have a ride on one in the store

Rog

I'll go in again. All the hybrids in there are minus mudguards. That I am not havin'!

Last time I was in there at the side of the rows of cycle was a strip of carpet you could ride the bikes on, mudguards don't always come as standard but you might be able to strike a deal,you never know, good luck in finding a bike that suits you

Rog

22 hours ago, plantfit said:

Get yer bike out Brew,there's some cracking hills to climb in Derbyshire

Rog

Too right!

My favourite is Middleton Top to Parsley Hay - meets up with the Tissington trail. Nice view (if weather allows) decent coffee and pies, and a well stocked bike shop.

Going to Redmile today. Hopefully a bit calmer than yesterday - did Attenborough and a bit of route 6. Meant to get to Sawley, but the open stretch along the river was a real gale, bits of dead branches flying everywhere. Discretion became the better part of valour, and we beat a retreat to the new café at Beeston Lock. That is an impressive place - even better next year when the garden is finished.

• Like 1

Been into Decathlon and grabbed someone for help this time. I had a ride around the shop on this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-500-hybrid-bike-dark-grey-id_8379020.html   I haven't ridden a bike for at least 40 years but I have to say I was impressed. It took a while to get control of it at first as it took off at a rate of knots that I wouldn't have expected. It was a comfortable ride and I have to say I took to it straight away.  I am now going to find out about this 'ride to work' scheme.

• Like 2

Actually it is cheap. The last one I was looking at was £300. There are very few hybrids for sale secondhand, even fewer with ally frames.

12 minutes ago, Chulla said:

Don't forget, Malc, when you get your bike you can ride from Eastwood to the Roebuck.

Might consider that after I have had a bit of practice   :hungr:

• Like 1

....and a good bike lock, or someone may decide to take it for a joyride if you leave it parked outside the Roebuck!