Oldphil,the Trek was an insurance replacement for a Scott Comp Racing I had stolen,never really liked the Trek, :(a lot of cheaper components fitted to it,the Scott was much higher spec,Rockshox Judy SL, XT running gear,Lighter frame and wheels, in saying that the Scott was also an insurance replacement for a home built mountain bike I made myself using top end components,bike worth about £1500 (we are talking 1998) the Scott replacement worth £800 and the Trek replacement about £500 when I contacted the insurance company about their "like for like" policy they told me they only pay upto £500 for a replacement cycle, Don't know where they got the Scott for that money from ;)

Rog

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

59 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Oldphil,the Trek was an insurance replacement for a Scott Comp Racing I had stolen,never really liked the Trek, :(a lot of cheaper components fitted to it,the Scott was much higher spec,Rockshox Judy SL, XT running gear,Lighter frame and wheels, in saying that the Scott was also an insurance replacement for a home built mountain bike I made myself using top end components,bike worth about £1500 (we are talking 1998) the Scott replacement worth £800 and the Trek replacement about £500 when I contacted the insurance company about their "like for like" policy they told me they only pay upto £500 for a replacement cycle, Don't know where they got the Scott for that money from ;)

Rog

sounds like you've had the same experiences as me with both bike thieves and insurance companies. I'm now running my mates old bikes, replaced with reasonable bits, and a decent Abus D lock. My mate had a bike nicked from outside the bike shop in Long Eaton on a Saturday afternoon. The little gits used a hand held oxy acetylene job to get through a very heavy chain. Pity you can't wire your bikes to the mains (as P.G.Wodehouse said "would cause comment, you feel?) 

Trouble is, you can't not have nice gear just because you might lose it.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to sell a few bikes :( Cannot decide which to keep. Just before I bust my hip 14 years ago I had a track bike and a carbon TT bike built by Terry Dolan. Black with silver logo and my name. They were just about the most expensive bikes out there - spent all my dividend. Sold the track bike some time ago, also the Ghibli TT bike rear wheel which cost £1600 inc sprockets and tub. Been hanging on to the TT bike hoping to make a comeback but rowing has taken over. So the TT bike will go. Also got a Cougar built when Terry Dolan had the company. An old Bianchi classic now on fixed. A Look carbon road bike, Trek hybrid, a posties bike (definitely keep that),  an Olmo trainer, and an unfinished ordinary. Oh  - and a Brian Rourke road bike.

• Like 2

Some nice names you come up with there PP, trouble is,It's hard to get rid of them they all have a special place in your life

Rog

Nice six village trike ride this morning,set off at 09.00 after the local little darlings are safely in class,the school is in the next village Bassingham and I think the children are between 5 and 10 years,for the most part the kids are great very polite and never cheeky (like I was) it's the parents that are the problem when you are on a bike or trike, you can be ringing your cycle bell till the cows come home and most of them will not move to the side of the cycle/footpath,they insist on walking down the middle with a dog (sometimes on a lead) on one side of them and a child on the other,then when they get the children to school they stand in a group on the cycle/footpath talking making it impossible to get passed them, never mind eh It wouldn't do for us all to be considerate would it?lol

anyway onto the ride fromBassingham through to Thurlby, only a small village with two farms a church (family church of the Bromhead family) and about a dozen houses,down the road to Haddington and a quick detour to take in Aubourn, along Butts lane through the other side of Haddington and up the disused road towards the A46 where I pick up another cycle path,not many people use this and it can get a bit slippery in damp weather,this takes me down to the main roundabout/traffic island at Witham st Hughes between Lincoln and Newark (I'm sure you've all gone round that on your way to Skeg if you go through Lincoln) I then follow my usual route to Norton Disney and onto Carlton le Moorland and home, before I got home though I stopped on Scotwater bridge and look for fish in the river,there are a few Dace and small Chub, that stretch belongs to Collingham angling club and is quite expensive to become a member, I would like to fish it though,it looks very similar to the Fairham brook I used to fish as a kid in Clifton, thats about it regards my ride, I did notice though Thurlby has got their Christmas tree up now so on my next ride I'll take my camera and get some pics of the trike in front of all the village Christmas trees.

Back home by 10.20

Rog

• Like 1

Dint have a trike ride today because of my trip to Bulwell to see some great people, would have been quicker on the trike though,the traffic was terrible, anyway my plan for this weekend was to ride round the local villages taking a picture of the trike in front of all the villages Christmas trees which is unusual for me because I'm not a Christmas person in fact I'm an all round miserable sod to be honest but this year I thought I would make the effort,the weather forcast is not looking too good for my plan though with "severe snow" forcast for this part of the country so we will see,watch this space

Rog

• Upvote 1

Hey Malc. That's not a bad 64-quids worth. Front tyre looks flat, but only flat on the bottom. Be prepared to discover muscles and joints you never knew you had.

He reckons its only been ridden four times. It wants few bits doing to it that i can already see from the photos. There are no lights on it and I don't like the pedals. No doubt that it wants oiling everywhere as it has not been used for some years.

• Like 1

Nice looking machine and for £64 you can afford to upgrade a few bits,can I suggest unless you are planning on doing off road riding change the tyres for some road tyres, 26x1.5, a lot easier to pedal than the knobbly ones, happy cycling Malc

Rog

Back from the "Christmas tree ride" only three out of the five villages I rode through, after about five miles I was nice and warm,the new "buff" isspot on for keeping the cool wind going down my neck so well pleased with that purchase,right, photo's

P1060326.jpg

Me in the back garden about to set off

P1060327.jpg

First tree in Bassingham (nice balls missus)

P1060329.jpg

Thurlby,looks like I caught my light on strobe as well

P1060330.jpg

Just round the corner from home,The Lincolnshire leisure center slywink

P1060331.jpg

Our village tree, don't look like much effort went into it but hay oh we got a tree I suppose

Rog

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Nice looking machine and for £64 you can afford to upgrade a few bits,can I suggest unless you are planning on doing off road riding change the tyres for some road tyres, 26x1.5, a lot easier to pedal than the knobbly ones, happy cycling Malc

Rog

Is there any particular brand of tyre that is better than anyone else's and is this 'Slime' to stop punctures any good?

Slime is very good at sealing the puncture if you get one with very little or no loss of air, you can get inner tubes with it already in or you can buy it in a bottle and put it in the tube yourself, Schwalbe tyres are very good, I run Marathon racers on my trike but I've been told that the Schwalbe Marathon plus are just as good, they both have puncture protection on the inside of the tyre

Rog

Just eight miles today, it is quite cold out here and there's a lot of ice on the roads, had the trike sideways quite a few times but that was only on the cycle/footpath,good fun though drifting on a trike, should have had the action camera on, bit of wheel spin in odd places but nowt to spoil the ride, there was one bloke throwing grit/salt on the cycle path near the village hall, threw a shovel full over me,said he didn't see me,then another bloke in the next village shouted "excuse me" I thought he wanted to talk about the trike,wrong, he said my flashing front light was dangerous, it could cause car drivers to drive into the ditches, I just wished him a good day and rode off, never mind eh? good ride though and now back home I have just made a tray full of scones so out with the butter when they come out of the oven

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bit of amusement watching the birds fighting over the dozen apples I put out this morning. Four Fieldfairs, one Thrush, two Starlings(what are they doing here?), one Magpie and a dozen or so Blackbirds. The Fieldfairs have come down from Scotland and they are quite fierce. A big Fieldfair guards her 'stash' of three apples from all comers. The Blackbirds have no chance, although I'm beginning to see how they sneak behind boss bird while she is busy shooing others away. I suspect teamwork and decoys. Went up to the shed to retrieve a bike I wanted to photograph but it is behind a pile of chairs and misc junk, all of which will need shifting outside. Could not do it in the deep snow. Worked in the workshop and made a scratter handle before getting too cold. Pilchards on toast and a mug of tea = warm and happy :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't know if you've seen this or not PP,but when we last spoke you mentioned a cone system for gearing,there's something similar on this video

Rog

Cricky - that looks complicated. I have looked at rowing bikes before. They have a following in Holland but I dont like the idea of two wheels. It does make steering possible but they have a reputation of being a bit unwieldy. There is a French trike design that can be rowed and peddaled. 

Thought I would have a go at uploading a video of part of a trike ride,in this video I have just left home heading towards the cycle path/footpath, the camera was mounted on the front of the trike,hope you can see the video

Rog

• Like 1