• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

You seem very low down.

Second go at a ride to Wilko in the morning. Currently getting aches of the upper leg muscles and I am not very good at getting up hills (yet). Not ridden a bike for over 40 years so what should I expect really!  Unfortunately I have a good hill to negotiate in both directions. Only downside to travelling on a bike around these parts.

• Like 3

Quite low down Malc,camera was about 15" above the road and my hips are about the same,don't worry about not getting up the hills very good,you're not in a race,the leg muscles will settle down soon so don't worry about them either,try riding up a hill in a very low gear and go down a cog every couple of days,it will get easier and don't forget 40 years off a bike is a long time,can you remember how your legs ached when you rode a bike for the very first time? I know mine really hurt but riding a bike was my ticket to freedom so I stuck at it,keep pedalling Malc

Rog

I walk quite a lot. I didn't think it would be much different. Rode up Mansfield Road (Eastwood) this morning and got more than half way up. Well pleased I was. I stopped, got off, started to walk and my legs vanished and I ended up in a heap on top of the bike.  :(   Got a puncture on the way back home so I have just ordered a pair of Slime Tubes!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

A few miles ride today in the snow,

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Hard work pedalling through snow,like trying to pedal through sand, just dropped a few gears and carried on,soon warmed up and the ride was enjoyable, it's no good sitting in the house all day you got to get out

Rog

• Like 5

I thought about you today Rog, after hearing the dire news about the snowfall in Lincolnshire. Would you be sitting by a roaring fire watching the birds out of the window? Obviously you’re made of sterner stuff or completely mad! :biggrin:

I’m just looking out of the window at a whiteout at the moment and planning what emergency rations I should carry on this afternoon’s trip to Newark.

For the cat lovers, I woke at six this morning to see the little face of a cat that had crept beneath the sheets between us and had made herself warm and cosy. Cat’s are not stupid when it comes to comfort.

• Like 2

Barking mad mate, the snow is a lot deeper today on the track (three feet in places where it's drifted) so had a walk to the next village (4 miles there and back) for the bread and milk,still there's always tomorrow

Rog

Well I'm about to exercise my weird sense of humour and nip up to Morrisons 'cos I've almost run out of milk!

38 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Just found this video off youtube of a trike ride I was on around Draycote water near Rugby a few years ago, might be of interest might not, I'm in there somewhere

Rog

I still don't know how you manage being so close to the ground! Brilliant video, though.

Just taken the snow tyres off the Trek. Also, picked up a tip this year - wear some small crampons on the heel - that way, you keep your balance when you put your feet out. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If it wasn't for the age of the pictures I'd say they were photoshopped. How on earth did they get everyone to stay still long enough?

The two seat trikes could well be Bristol Victorian bicycles,(note bicycles even though they were three wheelers) the ordinary bicyles (penny farthings) were mainly blacksmith built although some manufacturers did start making them towards second half of the 1800's, the two wheel (safety cycles) cycles probably made in Coventry,

Was these pictures taken in Ireland? the reason I ask is because cycling was very big there in the mid to late 1800's, I'll have a check through my cycle books at the weekend to see if I can find any positive ID's

Rog

• Like 3

The post with the seven cyclists. Rog Plantfit will shortly be receiving 90% of one like the second from the right. A 36" ordinary for restoration.  Think it was made in Durham C1885.

ps  just noticed that it is not exactly the same - the one in the pic has a lowered crank set.

• Like 2

Not very good on bicycles but not bad on pubs.:rolleyes:

60s Saturday night in Buxton started at the Cheese, then to the Swan, from there to the Queens Head for the pin ball league and finally to the caving clubs private room in the Kings Head on the market.

Yes the Swan is still there had a couple of pints with the brother in laws only last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ian, Im in Derbyshire where men are men and sheep are fearful but I was refering to the guy on the penny farthing remaing stationery and upright long enough to have the photo to be taken and at the same time as the others on the more conventional bikes.

• Like 1

That Bobbies on bicycles pic mad me chuckle - the bikes all had dropped racing handlebars - they must have been 'speed cops' smile2One had very aggressive track bars - must have been the chief super's.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

the guy on the penny farthing remaing stationery and upright

Could have just been good at track stands  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

You can see how they did with the picture of seven cyclists, look carefully where they have their hands.. They are actually supporting each other by holding their neighbours handlebars

• 4 months later...

Here's one of me a few years ago at the top of the hill at Bulbridge on my way to Crich,that is a steep hill

P1060411.jpg

The bike was built by me using a Cro-Mo frame with Shimano Dior LX groupset and Mavic wheels, the tyres were slicks,after reaching Crich it was all down hill to Cromford and back to Bulwell via Matlock,Rowsley Ashbourn,Derby,Sandiacre,Strelley

Rog

• Like 4