• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Barnby L/C with LNER train bound for London Kings Cross,LNER had just taken over from Virgin that week kept the same red and white livery just wrote the new name where the old one was

P1060705.jpg

This was on my way back home after a ride to Newark

Rog

• Like 4

Bloody hell Rog settle down, I nearly had a heart attack just thinking about biking up that hill, lead me into things gently will yer...

• Like 1

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results

Beckingham all saints

P1060589.jpg

Claypole,Saint Peters

P1060594.jpg

Balderton Saint Giles

P1060598.jpg

Coddington, All Saints

P1060599.jpg

Stapleford village,All Saints, (lincolnshire)

P1060600.jpg

I've already posted pictures of our village church,Newark church and Norton Disney in another post

This was a lovely ride,going from home to Beckingham,Fenton,Stubton,Claypole,Balderton,Newark,Coddington,Stapleford and back home,not sure of the mileage but about 3 1/2 to 4 hours,regular stops for banana,biscuits and a drink of water

Hope you enjoy the pics

Rog

• Like 11

Great Pics  of the churches Plantfit. There might be some of my ancestors buried at Claypole, must check my family tree.

Happy to see you posting again, and looking forward to viewing your travels miduck.

• Like 1

I got excited when I saw Beckingham but then realised it wasn't the same Beckingham where many of my ancestors are buried... my Beckingham is near Gainsborough.

• Like 1

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me he has a trike like mine and to give him a call if I fancied a ride out,well today was that day, we met up in Bassingham village and rode out to Thurlby then onto Haddington where we picked up a disused road that is now a bridleway/cycle way,this headed towards the cycle path that runs alongside the A46 between Thorpe on the Hill bridge and Swinderby/Witham st Hughes roundabout, there we took a left and followed camp road to the end where we turned left again and back towards Thurlby and back to Bassingham,the ride took about 50 minutes,it  was good riding with another trike rider so hope we can have many more rides,possibly Newark or Lincoln next time, here's a picture of the two trikes together

Ride_2_23.08.18.jpg

Hopefully trikes won't be such a rare sight in this part of the world anymore,there is another trike rider who lives at Wellingore about six miles from us who I am going to get in touch with for a ride out so it could be a common sight in future,I hope so

Rog

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

After a nice ride to Lincoln the other week I called in at the village hall for a brew and a natter

Coffee_morning_ride_(1).jpg

Coffee_morning_ride_(2).jpg

I've made a habit of calling in there every Monday morning for me cuppa and sometimes treat myself to a couple of slices of toast, not bad for a quid, good company as well, talk about all things from farming topics through motor cars and general village life, not particularly intererested in farming or even motors but always join in and have an enjoyable couple of hours, phew this retirement lark int half tiring

Rog

• Like 5

Another Monday morning ride around the lanes of this part of Lincolnshire, met up with my trike riding buddy from Bassingham and we set off for Norton Disney,the roads around here have just been tarted up using the "top dressing" method where tar is sprayed on the road surface then a load of stone chipping are put over that,it's then upto the passing traffic to bed the stuff down, after a couple of days the road sweeper comes along and sweeps up any stone chippings that are laying loose on the road thereby leaving a "new" road surface,trouble is it's terrible stuff to ride on and noisy as well, shouldn't complain really we have got a new surface even though it's the cheaper option,anyway riding past the old RAF Swinderby airfield the road surface is as it was, the other side of Thurlby village the road has been completely dug up and re-surface with super smooth tarmac,great for riding on,this leads us to the next and final village of Bassingham so we have gone full circle on a 7 mile ride, for some reason we seemed to have gone a bit quicker than usual,I suppose thats because there was the two of us taking it in turns to ride on the front, pulled in at the Hammond hall for a cuppa and a good chin wag with the locals,all in all a very good morning with good riding and good company,time now for a bite to eat and a sit down before Mrs P comes home and I get dinner ready

Rog

• Like 4

They did that dressing down my road and cars were spraying chippings everywhere, I don't know why they bothered it's only a side road and there are plenty of potholes in Amber Valley that need more urgent attention. 

To be fair to the council though one slightly cross phone call had the sweeper out within a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Didn't bother with the scones but did have a small packet of choc chip biscuits for 30p,so with the biscuits and 70p for a mug of coffee you can't complain for a quid

Rog

• Like 1

Should have called in at the Hammond Hall Bassingham between 9 and 12 every Monday, every othe Tuesday though you can get a two course lunch ( main course and a pudding) for a fiver, have to pre book though

Rog

8 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

That's good. I've just paid £9.50 for one tea, one coffee and two slices of cake at Hemswell Antiques Centre.

Last time we were there, we said how expensive the cafe was. ....... along with all those expensive 'antiques' MOST of which I would not give house room to..   I suppose they are really just like currency, though.  We preferred the cheap barns there, especially the stuff outside.   'Common as muck, me!

Certainly do Terry,that is one of the most frequently asked questions,I think with the trike being so unusual on the roads motor vehicle drivers tend to be a bit more cautious and give more room when overtaking or they will hang back a bit until the road is really clear, another question I get asked a lot is "how fast does it go" to which I reply "how fast can you pedal"

Rog

• Like 1

Never get off and push, I went over the A46 bridge leading to Thorpe on the Hill but came out near the A46 Skellingthorpe island and down into Birchwood up the Whisby road,crossed the A46 again near the garden center island,back through Whisby turning left at the Whisby crossroads and back home through Thorpe on the Hill,Haddington,Aubourn,Bassingham and home,nice little ride

Rog

• Like 2