• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

Done that a couple of years ago when I was coming back from Southwell via Goverton,Bleasby,Rolleston,Kelham,Newark,Coddington,Stapleford wood and home, another good ride

Southwell minster

DSCF3783.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Straight across the cattle market island Phil, over the crossings at Newark castle,right at the second island follow the road round to Balderton, turn left when you get to the cemetary,right at the bottom of that road,over the rail crossing and upto Coddington,over the A17 through the woods and back home, nice ride, I have turned left towards Lincoln from that Keham road but then you tend to get stuck at the A46/A1/A17 cockup,up the A46 from there but take the run off road to Collingham,turn right there and over the A46 bridge,turn left down that road to Norton Disney and home that way

Rog

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Never get off and push, I went over the A46 bridge leading to Thorpe on the Hill but came out near the A46 Skellingthorpe island and down into Birchwood up the Whisby road,crossed the A46 again near the garden center island,back through Whisby turning left at the Whisby crossroads and back home through Thorpe on the Hill,Haddington,Aubourn,Bassingham and home,nice little ride

Rog

Rog, is it my imagination, or is there a cycleway along the "new" dualled stretch of the A46? can't see it properly from the car. Now the hedge cutters are out in force, we fancy moving further along from the canal with the rides. We're ok as far as Kneeton,  but can't see a friendly route past Newark.

I agree with Phils observation about your possession of cojones. The traffic noise alone puts me off!

Oldphil,there is a short section of cycle/footpath between the Hykeham roundabout and the Swinderby roundabout on the left as you are going from Lincoln to Newark on the A46, maybe a mile and half long,I think there is some sort of cycle track from Newark to Lincoln heading out to Collingham (some of it on small pathways) area but not sure about that, there is a youtube video that someone did a couple of years ago on his cycle so it might be worth searching there, here is a pic of my trike on the stretch of A46 going towards Swinderby island from Lincoln where I turn left to Witham st Hughes left at the end of camp road  to Thurlby,turn right to Bassingham and that puts me on the road to home

P1060394.jpg

Edited to add video

Rog

• Like 3

A nice trike ride today with another trike rider who lives in the next village, met up at 08.30 in Bassingham and set off for Thurlby and Haddington, over the road bridge that crosses the A46 near Thorpe on the Hill,through that village turning left and heading for Eagle Barnsdale, Morton, Swinderby,South Scarle then onto Collingham (Nottinghamshire) over the A46 again (sign posted for Norton Disney/Carlton le Moorland) turning left up a narrow lane towards Norton, bit of a climb there so a very slow climb,reaching the top of the hill it was coasting nearly all the way down into Norton,roads just been top dressed with chippings so had to be careful not to skid on the loose stuff, zipping through Norton and heading for Scotwater bridge over the river Witham,just one mile left before home,nice ride covering plenty of miles (got to make the most of this nice weather while it's here) anyway back home now for a well earned coffee,Mrs P said she's coming home at lunchtime from the gym (or is it Jim?) so nearly time to get her lunch ready, photo of the day,two trikes at the junction of Eagle and Swinderby villages

Ride_06.09.18.jpg

About thirty miles round trip altogether after riding through villages I've not ridden through before

Rog

• Like 5
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, plantfit said:

Oldphil,there is a short section of cycle/footpath between the Hykeham roundabout and the Swinderby roundabout on the left as you are going from Lincoln to Newark on the A46, maybe a mile and half long,I think there is some sort of cycle track from Newark to Lincoln

many many thanks. the video makes sense of it all. plan is for the two old codgers to work our way to Lincoln tomorrow. will report back

Phil

• Like 1

I think rain is forcast for tomorrow Phil but if it's not too bad I might have a ride over to the Brayford pool myself

Rog

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You might have read in another post that Terry ( Peveril Peril,great to see him again)  and myself did a bit of a transaction to do with a stationary engine and a Junior ordinary cycle (penny farthing) well I've got around to starting the restoration of said cycle, it arrived at my place in a series of parts accompanied by Terry, some were in a cardboard box and others were loose, I laid all the parts out to see what I had and what I needed to make for the restoration, after a good wire brushing of the main frame (the curved bit) and forks to get rid of the heavier rusty bits it did'nt look too bad, wire brushed the wheel rims and removed the rear wheel spokes that were a bit worse for wear,I managed to source some new spokes for that from an auction website and set too rebuilding the wheel, the front wheel (the big one) was a different beast altogether, only had about 18 of the original spokes and the wheel needed 40 to complete it, after emailing a few companies who build modern versions of the ordinary cycle,only one company replied to me saying they didn't make spokes in that size but they could make me a complete new wheel, wonder where they were getting the spokes from, anyway I decided to buy the raw materials and make my own spokes, problem one was what diameter steel do I want as imperial measurements today aren't really used in the manufacture of steel stock, after a bit of head scratching I decided to go for some 3mm cold drawn steel bar, next problem was what thread are the holes in the brass hub, this proved to be a bit more difficult because metric threads weren't used when the cycle was made, anyroad as they say here is a few pictures of where I've go to in this project

Box of bits

P1060683.jpg

Frame

P1060682.jpg

Frame and front wheel rim

P1060690.jpg

More to follow if anyone is interested

Rog

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, plantfit said:

You might have read in another post that Terry ( Peveril Peril,great to see him again)  and myself did a bit of a transaction to do with a stationary engine and a Junior ordinary cycle (penny farthing) well I've got around to starting the restoration of said cycle, it arrived at my place in a series of parts accompanied by Terry, some were in a cardboard box and others were loose, I laid all the parts out to see what I had and what I needed to make for the restoration, after a good wire brushing of the main frame (the curved bit) and forks to get rid of the heavier rusty bits it did'nt look too bad, wire brushed the wheel rims and removed the rear wheel spokes that were a bit worse for wear,I managed to source some new spokes for that from an auction website and set too rebuilding the wheel, the front wheel (the big one) was a different beast altogether, only had about 18 of the original spokes and the wheel needed 40 to complete it, after emailing a few companies who build modern versions of the ordinary cycle,only one company replied to me saying they didn't make spokes in that size but they could make me a complete new wheel, wonder where they were getting the spokes from, anyway I decided to buy the raw materials and make my own spokes, problem one was what diameter steel do I want as imperial measurements today aren't really used in the manufacture of steel stock, after a bit of head scratching I decided to go for some 3mm cold drawn steel bar, next problem was what thread are the holes in the brass hub, this proved to be a bit more difficult because metric threads weren't used when the cycle was made, anyroad as they say here is a few pictures of where I've go to in this project

Box of bits

P1060683.jpg

Frame

P1060682.jpg

Frame and front wheel rim

P1060690.jpg

More to follow if anyone is interested

Rog

There used to be a BSC thread. British Standard Cycle. Probably very obsolete now. Perhaps BA might be a suitable alternative. You’re  bound to have the taps and dies for that amongst your kit.

• Like 3

Found out some time ago,through trial and error, the thread is 5BA, like you said Phil, I have taps and dies in those sizes, BA (British assocition) is a very old thread size

(I think Ben could confirm that  lol)

Rog

• Like 1

5BA Thread outside diameter .126"  43 t.p.i.  pitch  .0232" Tapping Drill Size No 37 or 2,65mm or .1043"  Thread angle 47.5 degrees

The equivalent British Standard Cycle thread is outside diameter .125"  40 t.p.i.  pitch.025" Tapping drill size No 39 or 2,5mm or .1004  Thread angle 60 deg

From my Machinery's Handbook in the 1970's , I knew if I kept it long enough it would come in useful

• Like 3

After I gave the frame and wheel rims a good clean with a wire brush I wiped it all over with an oily rag, didn't want to get it down to bare metal because that would have looked false, I built the front wheel up using what spokes I had, setting them in an opposing pattern to get the hub central to the rim, the hub is made from brass with a steel axle that has been sweated onto the brass outer rings, they are threaded to take the spoke ends, the other end of the spokes are riveted over to sit in the well of the wheel rim, after the wheel was partially built I fitted it to the front forks and after fabricating a new bracket to hold the wheel to the bottom of one of the forks it looked ready for me to take a picure of it, this is it at the Bassingham village fete, I took my restored Lister engine (or rather the local farmer took it for me behind his tractor) and I walked down to the next village with the cylce, it's not strong enough to be ridden yet because of the lack of spokes but once I've finished making them and tensioned them in the wheel I will have a ride down the local cycle path on it, that should be next year

Mrs P nattering to her friend at the Bassingham village fete, on show is the Lister engine and the ordinary cycle, in front of them both is folders with photographic records of the restoraions from start to present

P1060835.jpg

Rog

• Like 4

Couldn't find my book Oz thats why it was trial and error, trying different small bolts until I found one that screwed in without binding up, 5 BA is not a common size so I was lucky to find a bolt/set screw to fit

Rog

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Don’t forget Rog he’s from Oz so he’s talking left handed threads because it’s antipodean.

The threads are not left handed here Phil its just that the head of the bolt in the UK is on the top of the thread and here it is on the bottom.

Talking of left hand threads, those of you with some motoring knowledge will understand that some threads on steering linkages are left hand threads.

Whilst working for a major automotive parts manufacturer the packing  department put 250 tie rod ends with left hand threads in the boxes for the right hand threaded ones. I still imagine some poor bu**ers who had gone to the parts shop, got home, pulled the suspension of the car apart and found he had got parts with the wrong handed threads.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

The threads are not left handed here Phil its just that the head of the bolt in the UK is on the top of the thread and here it is on the bottom.

Talking of left hand threads, those of you with some motoring knowledge will understand that some threads on steering linkages are left hand threads.

Whilst working for a major automotive parts manufacturer the packing  department put 250 tie rod ends with left hand threads in the boxes for the right hand threaded ones. I still imagine some poor bu**ers who had gone to the parts shop, got home, pulled the suspension of the car apart and found he had got parts with the wrong handed threads.

It was just an antipodean joke Oz!:biggrin:

6 hours ago, Brew said:

Atkinson trucks had left and right handed thread wheel nuts

The 'classic' cars with wire wheels have handed spinners to secure them. They're usually marked with an arrow to show the direction of tightening. Incidentally I've been invited to a classic car meet today but the organiser has been in touch to say, because of the vagaries of the weather, it's OK to bring a modern car if you don't want to get your classic dirty. I think he's ordered lots of food and he doesn't want to be eating it all himself next week. Mines a modern classic so I'm OK either way!

• Like 1

Always remembered the phrase "Triple eared knock off hub caps" hit them with a mallet as you say in the direction of the arrow to unscrew or tighten

Rog

I had a Morgan which I converted from disc wheels to wires. This meant removal of the original hubs and replacement with splined ones to take the wire wheels. It was a hell of a job to get the hubs off. A standard wheel puller wouldn’t touch them. I had to hire a hydraulic puller. One had to be left tightened up overnight when it eventually shot off and hit the garage wall with considerable force but only causing minor damage!

• Like 1