That's an 11kV line.

The plastic ball is for birds, we had a lot of problems at one time with swans and geese in particular flying into the wires. We also put them on lines near glider and parachute drop zones. Basically they are there to make sighting them easier. Overhead line joints do not usually have covers.

• Like 2
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

I knew someone would know the answer,they were along the lines for about four hundred yards,quite big,maybe two and a half foot diameter, never seen them anywhere else near to airfields, the overhead lines we had down the quarries had small clips on them as warnings for geese and swans coming in to land on the lagoons, thats why I never thought of the bird warnings, learn sommat new every day on this great site

Rog

Den was asking me today if anyone makes a tandem trike, the answer:

Greenspeed.jpg

Took this picture off a cycle website,it was up for sale at £5100, sold pretty quick

Rog

• Like 1

It must be wonderful having someone's smelly feet whizzing past your ear every few seconds!           yada

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

These could be space ships but I don't think they are really, I took this picture on a trike ride between Fenton and Claypole Notts,not far from Balderton, all the way down the road I could see these large spheres on the electric wires, all I can think they might be are covers for joints in the cable but it does seem a bit of overkill for a simple joint, one suggestion from a member of a cycling website suggest they could be floats to raise the cable above the water level in the event of a flood slywinkI think he had been drinking, anyway all suggestions will be considered

P1060591.jpg

Rog

I took this photo in Jamaica, but in fact many areas from the southern US states to South America have these ‘things’ on power lines.   No need for man to place those warning balls on the lines, nature has obliged.  They are Air Plants that get enough water to survive from the humid air.  

4363_CDA6-69_AE-43_ED-8_BDE-1_D3947_F853

• Like 1

Got a text message from another trike rider who lives in the next village asking if I fancy a trike ride this morning, of course i do, said he'd meet me on the cycle track in Bassingham, had a nice ride out towards Thorpe on the Hill and picked up the cycle track again and headed for Swinderby traffic island and Witham St Hughes, down camp road to the end and turn right towards Norton Disney, this road took us passed the south side of the old RAF Swinderby airfield, following the road to the end we arrived at Norton Disney, and turned left, nice ride through the village and met quite a few people who I know,plenty of "Good morning Rog" and "nice day for a ride", friendly people in these little villages, over Scotwater bridge (river Witham) taking the next left to Bassingham, this is where my cycling buddy lives so he took off to his house and I carried on through the village til I got to the village shop "Greens" picked up some dry cleaning Mrs P left a couple of weeks ago, coming out of the shop I met Reg, nice old fella who has a vintage tractor he's just renovated (it's a Lincolnshire thing) anyway he tells me there is a tractor rally on Sunday starting and finishing at Brills farm the other side of Norton Disney so I will take a trip up there on Sunday and get a few pictures, they are driving their tractors to Collingham and back in aid of the Bomber county trust, Thinks it's to raise funds for the full size model of a Lancaster bomber thats to be erected at the side of the A46 on the border of Notts and Lincs, if I get some pictures I'll post them on here, half an hour later I'm back on the road again riding through the village to the doctors to pick up Mrs P's prescription, another natter/gossip with someone outside the doctors and back on my way home, indoors now and having a coffee,had to close all the windows at the back of the place because of the strong smoke smell coming from next doors chimney again,bit of a coughing fit and a bit of headache now but we had nice ride,nice company, nice catchup with some of the locals

Rog

Oh, 14 miles trike riding in total just over an hour riding (and not far off the same gossiping)

Nice ride today, weather a bit chilly to start with but soon warmed up, met my triking buddy in Bassingham and we set off towards Boothby Graffoe,

(For the benefit of Margie who I know likes to follow maps)setting off from Bassingham heading south along Carlton lane for a short distance turn left onto Brick kiln lane until turning left again onto Navenby lane to the end T junction,left onto Broughton lane (pronounced Brooton lane) take second right on unmarked road passed Somerton castle,stayed on this lane (castle lane) for about three miles going over the old Grantham to Lincoln railway bridge,this is where I started to slow down because of breathing problems but I kept goung albeit slowly, the next struggle was the actual hill upto Boothby Graffoe,now I did struggle up there and I must have stopped about four times to get my breath back finally getting into the village,stopped there for a drink of water before setting off again along the busy A607 Grantham road until arriving in Navenby, decided here to stop at the Cottage tea rooms for a coffee, trikes parked up and ordered a toasted teacake and a coffee, my triking buddy decided to go the whole hog and have a Brie and bacon toasted sandwich and a cup of tea, very nice place if you are ever in the area, Back on the trikes for the final push home and it was across the A607 to Church lane, this is a steep hill with a couple of sharp bends on the way down so had to be careful not to roll the trike, great fun going down and that made up for the struggle to get up the hill to Boothby Graffoe, in no time at all we had gone over the railway bridge there and now heading for Broughton road again this time getting onto Hopyard lane then turn right back onto Navenby lane,about a mile down there we took a right turn onto Chapel Nook lane and followed this to Pasture lane passed Bassingham fen,left onto Linga Lane and back into Bassingham,Jeremy my triking buddy cut off there to go home and I carried on to Carlton, great ride and really pleased to have climbed one of the few hills in Lincolnshire (well our part anyway).

Couple of pics of the day, bottom of Castle road hill Boothby Graffoe (steeper than it looks) and Cottage tea rooms Navenby

Navenby_ride_08.10_(1).jpg

Navenby_ride_08.10_(2).jpg

Not sure how many miles but we were gone for two and half hours including a tearoom stop

Rog

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good ride this morning,weather was quite nice,warm ish and clear with no wind, coming back up the cycle/footpath back to our village and lo and behold a bit of inconsiderate car parking, this one is parked just round a sharp bend in the path so couldn't spot it till the last minute,the only way to get passed it was to either go across the muddy grass or go out into the road, apart from that it was a pleasant ride

02.03_(2).jpg

This picture was taken in the village hall car park about 100 yards from the inconsiderate parker

02.03_(1).jpg

And this one is our new village hall which will be finished for the end of next month,

02.03_(3).jpg

Rog

• Like 5

Ray cycle,A Raleigh budget bicycle from the 1930's to 1950's, made in Nottingham

Ray_bike_1.jpg

Ray_bike_3.jpg

Rog

Not so budget now though, one on an auction website for £750.00

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The restoration so far,nearly there,all spokes made and in place,( 3mm x 500mm cold drawn steel,threaded with 5 BA die, cut to length 410mm)wheel trued (nearly) pedals made and fitted,(main pedal axle was 12mm x 100mm coach bolts,inner and outer main frame I cut and shaped from some 3mm x 50mm flat steel,had to buy some period looking rubbers,covered the coach bolt middles with some copper tubing to hide threads,clamped rubbers in the inner and outer plates using 5mm x 75mm stainless threaded bar and nuts)frame wire brushed and a good wipe over with an oily rag

P1070129.jpg

P1070130.jpg

P1070098.jpg

P1070099.jpg

Halfords don't sell spares for these so had to make my own, great fun

Rog

• Like 4

Rog, spotted this ICE trike this morning, secured to a lamp-post.  Didn’t see the owner but a neighbour told me this is his second one, his first one was stolen.  

D4006-DF1-46-D0-4323-9-C2-A-9-B27-F6-EBB

• Like 1

Very nice looking trike, the stolen one will probably be broken down and sold as spare parts,such a shame,that one looks like the ICE adventure,should have secured it a bit better than just a wire through the front wheel because the wheels are very quick to remove,need to secure the frame as well, thanks for the picture Lizzie,nice machine

Rog

Perhaps an opportunity there PF. With your engineering skills and workshop facilities. invent and manufacture security kits for trikes. There's not always a convenient lamppost to anchor them to.

• Like 1

With the seat mesh coming in at £130.00, the front mudguards at £150.00, front wheels over £100.00 each,head/neck rest £75.00 the money soon adds up, they are not cheap to buy and the market for them is quite small so sold for parts is a lucrative little earner

Rog

Exactly so - there has to be a market for a bespoke security device and a niche market will always command premium prices at the outset as evidenced by the ridiculously over priced ancillaries you mention.

• Like 1

It's very rare to see a recumbent trike or bike left unattended but if they are they are usually locked to a fixed object using an extra long plastic coated wire rope and a stout lock,if ever I have to leave my trike I thread a long wire rope through the two front wheels and rear frame and wheel and lock that to a fixed object but I take your point about having no fixed object,there is a full discussion about securing these machines on a cycle website,some of the idea's people have come up with are quite interesting but the general rule is "Don't leave it unattended"

Rog

ps: the long wire rope coil's up to about the size of a coffee mug so fits in one of my side bags

• Upvote 1

Well I didn’t go into detail on my post there Rog  but the chap I spoke to happened to be the trike owner’s ‘carer’ and it was parked up outside his house.  No idea why he has a carer (I never saw him) but can only assume his legs work!   

• Like 2

Rog, I looked out for you whilst driving under the bridges along the A46 last week, when visiting my daughter. I thought you might be zooming through the villages. What was that all pervading smell of muck spreading that hung over the area. I presume someone was spreading some potent fertiliser somewhere upwind. 

• Like 2