Found the one closest to your picture Compo, A Starley's Royal Salvo tricycle made by Starley's of Coventry about 1876, the riders are using a Starley's patent lever motion to move the cycle

P1070503.jpg

Rog

Picture taken from The Bicycling science book by Frank Rowland Whitt and David Gordon Wilson

• Like 2
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

This is just an aside regarding bikes, ie useless information. Many years ago when my late son attended Aspley Wood School, on Robins Wood road, I was a school governor and one of the ladies I got know was the granddaughter of Mr. Archer of Sturmey Archer gears, (Raleigh bikes). He invented the three speed gearbox. He was offered a lump sum for the patent or 1/2d for each one produced. He took the lump sum, but his granddaughter said if he had taken the halfpenny offer it would have made him a multi millionaire. Of course in those days a lump sum would be seen as most profitable. B.

• Like 2

A friend of mine designed and built an improved version of the SA hub gear when he worked for Raleigh/SA,when he presented it to SA he was told they weren't going to re-tool to make the improved version so it went no further,Shimano the Japanese gear and cycle components people took some of Alans idea,re-tooled and now produce the very successful Nexus hub gear,funny old world innit?

Rog

• Like 2

Received this from a vintage bike enthusiast this morning:

"The trike is a Humber No. 7 of about 1888 price was £28." He also posted a photo of the works thus:

1080_a60e7392-ae02-44b9-ac65-810535c1a35

The people in the original photo were the grandfather of a friend's wife, Frederick Tissington, and his half sister Elizabeth Tissington

• Like 2

Great picture Compo, the early years of the new passtime of cycling must have been very interesting,a lot of the new innovations were directed towards the ladies with them unable to ride the ordinary cycle because of the constraints of long skirts so cycle manufacturers came up with the idea of tandem ordinary's where the woman/lady sat at the front of the cycle unhindered by cross bars etc, eventually the Safety cycle was "invented" with it's step through frame (lady specific) enclosed chain drives and strings covering half the rear wheel that allowed the wearing of long skirts,at last women gained the freedom they deserved and quite right too

Rog

• Like 1

Our new village hall is now finished and ready for bookings, I took this first picture last year before demolition of the old one took place

Carlton_le_Moorland_village_hall_1.jpg

And this one on this mornings ride of the new hall, hope it gets plenty of use

New_village_hall_03.06_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 4

Nice steady riding with a few stops for drinks/food/toilet you should cover 60/70 miles easily, I usually do around 50 miles for a four and half to five hour ride out, thats only about ten miles an hour,easliy achieved,

Rog

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread this :cool: Pity I can't see compo's pics? In the 50's I rode grass track events using 'canes' and a 1" pitch block chain. 'Canes' was the term used for wooden rimmed sprint wheels which actually used maple wood rather than bamboo. The special tubular tyres were stuck on to the wooden rims using bone glue from the hot pot as in woodwork. I was just a kid with no money and the wheels, chain and chain set were given to me by Lloyd Binch the then current British sprint champion. He never became World champ, but came close. Raleigh 'lent' him his bikes. Pure amateur days back then.

• Upvote 1

My photos have once again disappeared?! I simply don't understand why this is happening.

• 2 years later...

I enjoyed that RR.  It was interesting to see the Castle Boulevard Cycle Lane being used by just a handful of people, despite the number of cyclists following this fella.  

• 11 months later...

DSCF1151.jpg

My little display of vintage bicycles at the Heckington (Lincolnshire)village and country show last weekend,

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Hercules looks interesting Plantfit. Was it considered a higher spec than usual in its day, - 'Drum' expanding brakes, hub gears and Sturmey Archer type gear selector on the croggy. Are the lights battery or is there also a dyno hub on the back as well as an internal brake? I could have fancied one of those in my youth.

1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

The Hercules looks interesting Plantfit. Was it considered a higher spec than usual in its day, - 'Drum' expanding brakes, hub gears and Sturmey Archer type gear selector on the croggy. Are the lights battery or is there also a dyno hub on the back as well as an internal brake? I could have fancied one of those in my youth.

Sturmey Archer drum brakes front and rear, no dynamo, front light is just for show, Sturmey Archer K series three speed number KB7, the K series came out in 1930 and the suffix number denotes the year after 1930 hence 1937, the Ladies Humber has a K4 three speed hub so 1934, 

• Like 1

Back in 1980s I used to be a school governor along with a lady named Iris Archer, whose grandfather invented the S.A 3 speed gears. She told us that he was offered a half penny for every gear made or he could have a lump sum. Iris said he took the lump sum, thinking it would not take off. If he took the halfpenny offer, he would have made millions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey Plantfit, I could do wonders with those mudguards !

Just imagine, some nice roses with a daisy chain surround. thumbsup

By the way, somebody's nicked yer bike pump.