OK, I am no longer delivering parcels but I was spending £50+ per week on petrol. It is now over 6 weeks since I last went to a petrol station. On top of that I have seen things I wouldn't have otherwise seen and been in areas that I wouldn't otherwise have been. Don't regret buying another bike for one minute.

• Like 1
  • Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a "church" ride a couple of months ago, ride through the villages taking pics of their churches, here's the results   Beckingham all saints Claypole,Saint Peters  

The weather didn't look too bad this morning so I got the trike out,filled my drinking bottle with water and put a couple of banana's in the bag and set off for Lincoln,Brayford warfe to be exact,five

Met up with a new friend today who has just moved into the next village to us,I saw him last week when I was riding back home along the cycle/footpath between our two villages,it was then he told me h

When I used to ride a bike around the local lanes it was quiet and peaceful. Now that cycling has become over popularised there's someone dressed up like a trapeze artist around every corner. I refuse to wear silly clothes just to ride a bike. I've still got a pair of cycle clips, quite a rarity!

• Like 1

Pianoman, you could always get yourself a butcher/Baker carrier bike with a big basket in the front. Then you could still deliver parcels, but in a more localised area. It could be very exclusive.

9 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

When I used to ride a bike around the local lanes it was quiet and peaceful. Now that cycling has become over popularised there's someone dressed up like a trapeze artist around every corner. I refuse to wear silly clothes just to ride a bike. I've still got a pair of cycle clips, quite a rarity!

The other cyclists I see on my way to Long Eaton and back on the Erewash Valley Trail between Trowell and the Awsworth bypass are obviously using a bike as a means to get from A to B. (As I am). They are usually 'older' cyclists too. Those dressed up as trapeze artists seem to me to be people going on bike rides for the sake of going on bike rides. They only seem to come out at evenings and weekends.

Cycle clips can still be bought in Decathlon. Flourescent lime green things they are :Shock:

At the weekends we get lots of trapeze artistes flying round our roads and lanes. They're all on these time trial races and spread right across the road, 2, 3, 4 and once 5 abreast. Now these new rules have emerged from the highway code, you've no bloody chance of getting by them. If you try, and give a warning toot, you just get lots of verbal.

• Like 1

Nothing would inspire me to get a bike again. My balance isn’t good enough,  although did have a shopper bike when the kids were in their teens just to pretend I knew how to ride it! 

Often seen around our local lanes, a friendly bunch and always ride single file if a car comes behind them, at the other end of the scale we get a lot of lycra louts who refuse point blank to move out of the way of motorists and it's those that give the leisure cyclists a bad name and in a lot of cases put off (new or returning to cycling) people

16.04_(10).jpg

Rog

Yes PP there are a lot of inconsiderate cyclists. Here there are many cycling events and as usual there is the odd few that absolutely refuse to go in single file. On some of out narrowest and hilly roads they either get in line or they go in the ditches or send the car rolling down the hill. I think the course here is challanging for them and think while i'm struggling the motorist must get out of the way.

Years ago there was an old chap in the village who rode a trike with enormous wheels. He was know as ‘Pedaler Palmer’. He would cycle up to the railway station where the guard would help him lift it onto the train when he went to do his shopping in Newark.

I used the Elephant Bike to ride up to the club meeting last night. Offered some members a lift home in the front basket but no takers... Cycle clips not needed with chain guard. Straw hat quite safe at my pedestrian speed :rolleyes:

I get the impression that no one on here likes the more serious cyclist - I've a good mind to don my trapeze artist gear and to visit the Nottingham lanes on my Look carbon road bike just to annoy you all iknow At least the lycra fits - not bad for an octogenarian...:cool:

• Like 2

Wots an Elephant bike PP? I'm afraid I've never heard of them. But then, down here in the sticks, they still ride wooden 'boneshakers '.

Bekay - An Elephant bike is a redundant GPO bike that has been refurbished by a charity that sends bikes to Malowi. They are painted sky blue, have a front and rear carrier, 3 speed hub gears and hub brakes. Absolutely bomb proof but heavy. I'll be using it on Sunday for the local fishing match on the canal.

22 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Do you have to grease yourself to get it on? :biggrin: 

No Phil - just seconds to slip the lycra on - very time consuming posing in front of the full length mirror though :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Terry. Now I understand. Remember seeing delivery boys in uniform pedalling furiously on them. We have a postman in Lewes who still rides one. Though all posties now wear shorts, regardless of weather or temperature. 

Apparently there’s a competition between posties as to who wears shorts for the most time. Who would have known it eh?

My son and his three friends decided (as one of his freinds mum was a nurse in Haywood House) to do a bike ride for cancer reserch, from Lands End, to John o' grots? (not sure of spelling) when enquiring cost (as some parts they had to travel by rail or the bikes had to go by train) The only train line who offered them free travel when needed was ""Virgin"" 

I take my hat off to you Mr Branson.

• 1 month later...

A couple of classics here, My 1934 Humber ladies sports cycle with child seat and basket and a Humber Imperial motor car from 1965

DSCF1469_(2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

When I was a child, my paternal grandparents lived in Humber Road, Beeston (the house was demolished many years ago). It was quite close to the Humber factory, part of which I believe still stands. It has some rather decorative wall plaques on its facade.

• Like 1

Thanks Siddha,here's another of my vintage cycles, 1937 Hercules model T gents three speed with front and rear Sturmey Archer drum brakes

Hercules_restoration_2019_(14).jpg

• Like 1

My vintage cycle display in front of a vintage bakers van at last weeks Lineside vintage weekend Swineshead near Boston Lincs

DSCF1521_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Last year I thought I would have a ride out on new years eve giving an airing to my vintage bikes around the local lanes, last rides of the year, different bikes different areas

1934 Ladies Humber sports cycle at the side of a wooden sculpture on the local cycle/foot path

New_year_eve_vintage_rides_2021_(1).jpg

1937 Gents Hercules model T with drum brakes the other end of the village

New_year_eve_vintage_rides_2021_(2).jpg

1968 Ladies Swift town bike near the village vicarage

New_year_eve_vintage_rides_2021_(3).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1