Spending the day in the city centre

Interesting thread Pixie.

A few weeks ago me & Mrs Catfan decided to have a wander around Nottm for the day. Visiting places we had not been to for years, although driven around these areas we had not walked on foot, so.

Had to go for a blood test & the City Hosp, so caught a No 17 bus from Bulwell Bus Station about 7.30am, buying a couple of all day tickets £6.80 for the two (ouch).

From City Hosp jumped on a No 40 something to St Anns Well Rd. That is where I spent my youth & had my first job at a garage on that road, long since gone but know the exact spot where it was.

From there we had a stroll down St Anns Well Road to the garden of rememberence on Bath St. As a spotty faced youth I remember taking Rex our alsation dog for a run on there, until I got chased off by the park keeper (everytime) Then Via Lamartine St we walked up to Robin Hood St.

On the way we had a look at the old (refurbished) terraced houses Robin Hood Terrace. Ah happy memories, I went to school with a wench from that neck of the woods, say no more.

A quick dash to a cafe on the old Sneinton Market area for a bite to eat & a mashing, don't forget been for the blood test & had to fast from the previous night, so was quite hungry by then.

Next was a nice steady stroll across town then jumped on a bus to Canning Circus.

My wife spent her childhood years living at the top of Ilkeston Rd (Wellington Terrace) big five storey houses & still there too.

She was most upset to see the back garden has now been tarmac'd over, after all that garden was her grandads pride & joy. forty odd years since she had been back, drove past many times but never stood on he old doorstep until then.

Next port of call was the Park Tunnel, never heard of it until I read about on this very forum, very interesting place to find. A gentle walk through the park estate led us to our last port of call.

It used to be the red lion pub at the top of Alfreton Rd now it's called the Organ Grinder. I had often threatened to pay a visit but never got around to it.

Had a few beers gave the place a good look over & liked what I saw, the only thing was that the pub was empty, well almost. Lets hope it stays open.

By now I was starting to flag so we left the Organ Grinder and caught the bus outside back to sunny Bulwell, not quite, by now it was P*****g it down with rain.

Looking back, we had a smashing day, brought back a lot of memories for us both & can't wait for the next walk.& I have to admit the bus fare wasn't too bad after all !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no way brian a prid 3 mobillity scooter sooner be seen on that its got more street gred than the other rubish lol babs

Pixie, you say you struggle in the city with a pushchair, spare a thought for our Vicky Rog

Interesting thread Pixie. A few weeks ago me & Mrs Catfan decided to have a wander around Nottm for the day. Visiting places we had not been to for years, although driven around these areas we ha

I dont find the busfair too bad as long as you make the most of the ticket. Sounds like you had a fantastic day, im looking forward to the day when i can revisit all the places i lived and hold many memories, must be such a nice thing to do.

Ooh please do, i (and im sure the others on here) would love to see them. The fella took me out last week, mum had baby so we went to nandos and the cinema, was a lovely afternoon out. Got some great pics of nottingham from just standing on the top floor of the corner house. Ill UL em on here once iv gotten them off my phone.

Stick 'em up Catfan, please.

When I lived on Arundel St., near Canning Circus, in the 1970s, one of my favourite walks was around the Park Estate. The gates were not locked in those days and you could spend a happy hour or two just looking at the fantastic architecture of some of the buildings.

Delivered some groceries in the Park mid sixties to Mrs.Kaplovich (Jersey Kapwood) Round the back of course.Was met by the housekeeper with the butler in the background (dinner suit the lot) They even still had a set of those servants bells on the wall...talk about going back in time...Upstairs Downstairs eat your heart out.

7a72ab4c.jpg

Here we go the, The site of my first workplace, long since gone. This house was built on the top of the garage I was an apprentice at.

P1020166-web.jpg

Followed by the then Cavendish picture house.

P1020176-web.jpg

William Booth Memorial hall, some how doesn't quite look right dwarfed by these modern buildings.

P1020187-web.jpg

St Mary's garden of rest, Bath St. "Look at the state of this place woman" says I, until she told me a nearby sign says it 's some sort of nature reserve. A beautiful park after all !

P1020200-web.jpg

P1020191-web.jpg

The old Empress Cinema,

P1020208-web.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice pictures catfan... not been to the castle in years, must be about 30..I was in the TA and we fired off a gun salute for an anniversary parade though the city center and we setup on the castle lawn, when looking at prices what constitute concessions? I take it a city card is like the free travel passes? I live about a mile-ish or just over in West Bridgford and as my travel pass is issued by Rushcliffe I take it this is no good even though it was issued on disability grounds, @babs i know what you mean about the ignorant or selfish people in town, both time while on crutches after my knee replacements I would have to go through town to get to physio at the Woodthorpe Hospital, and the amount of people who expect you to walk around them if they were walking towards you or when struggling if you had to stop people tutting as they have to walk around you now I could understand it I was blocking the right of way, Victoria Centre was a nightmare also.

Laurence

Nice to see places that are renovated instead of being torn down. Thanks' for posting the pic's Catfan.

A pleasure to see parts of Nottingham I remember.

Keep em' coming.

Did that William Bancroft's factory used to be Windley fibres factory, seem to remember some of their reps coming to our garage at bottom of Sneinton road for service and repairs, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Rog

Living some 15 miles or so from the city centre I still manage to get into Nottingham at least twice a month.(Bus pass)

I usually visit Geoff Blore's book shop on Mansfield road, some times Waterstones on Bridlesmith Gate.

I have been known to visit The Castle,Greens Windmill etc

But I always visit The Lincolnshire Poacher & The Vat & Fiddle.

I drink more in Nottingham pubs than the Loughborough pubs.

• 5 months later...

Catfan, just browsing through "old" threads and came across your great photo's, haven't been down St Anns Well Road area since the late 60's and have to say that Bath St Garden of Rest looks a heck of a lot better than when I was last there. The reputation of the area, to those of us living away with no reason to go back there, goes before it, and I would never have thought it perhaps the most salubrious of areas to venture into nowadays, but your itinerary has made me rethink my prejudices, or am I being too trusting?

I was just informing Mrs Commo of the eye watering admission fee when it was as Beachbum reminds us, free apart from the Sunday charge. I always thought that for "Free" it was a really good deal, but £5.50? I wonder how many tourists pay their money and perhaps expect something like Ludlow or Alnwick? Mind you, Alnwick is not cheap at about £8.

Commo, waiting for a nice day when I'm off work & will have another wander around St Anns & the city again. Loads more to see.

You always see a lot more when walking. I have no worries about walking around St Anns, I can think of far worse areas of Nottingham.!

The highlight of our walk was seeing my wife re-visit her childhood home, a place where she was brought up by her grandparents many years ago. Memories like those are priceless. Roll on summer !

piggy offially retires in april and has promised to buy me my own scooter when he gets his lump sum from his private pension. then i hope to be a bit more inderpendant and mobile essepecially on a sunday when he is of fishing and get into town and places like the castle and the arbouritoum

when the weather is fine . i will use my bus pass more and travel too and from town on the tram i might even get to see some of the festivals and events that happen around the city.

no way brian a prid 3 mobillity scooter sooner be seen on that its got more street gred than the other rubish lol

babs

• Upvote 2

WOULD LIKED TO HAVE GONE TO SEE SOME OF THAT DID NOT KNOW OUGHT ABOUT IT TILL TODAY EVENINGPOST THEN WHAT COMES THROUGH MY DOOR WITH THE MAIL WHATS ON IN NOTTINGHAM FIRST THING IN IT NOTTINGHAM LIGHTS NIGHT BIT LAT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUT AT LEAST 2 WEEKS AGO TO GIVE PEOPLE THE CHANCE TO GO TYPICAL CITY COUNCIL ALWAYS LATE TELLING YOU STUFF BUT NEVER LATE SENDING OUT YOUR COUNCIL TAX BILLS.

• 2 weeks later...