Avro Vulcan prototype

Rog

TVOC had known about the paper work problem with the Vulcan all week, by Friday it was a certainty that it wasn't going to fly, there was little point in announcing it on Saturday morning at 8:00 when many people, including my brother, were already on their way to the show. I spoke to him about it again last night, what with being turned away last year because of the flooded car parks and what he considered was a naff show this year, he says he'll never go again.

OK, my brother and I have seen the glory days of the airshows going back to the 50's, we've been spoilt in the past, and things will never be like it again, so they say, but why not. One thing that we do have is a plethora of vintage WW2 warbirds, the like of which we would never imagine ever seeing back in the old days, look at the list for Legends which I'll talk about later, and I would have passed out at the prospect of seen most of those 40 years ago.

Which reminds me, I gather that Peter Vachers only flying BoB veteran Hurricane was in the static park at Waddo, so why didn't that fly then.

Ian

I take your point about the dedicated USAF display pilots being only available in the States, but this has always been the case. In the classic airshows at Mildenhall for instance, they would ship one in and you would get an aerobatic display, otherwise it was simply flybys, but what flybys they were, B1's with their wings back passing by at low level just under the speed of sound, their noses poking out of a cloud of condense, F-117's, B2's, these were just the normal pilots doing their flypasts, not hard to do, not needing CAA approval, not demonstrating their aircrafts capabilities, but at least we could see them in the air making lots of noise, not sitting on the ground doing nowt.

Legends, here's the list of visiting participants:-

http://fighter-collection.com/pages.php

You will note that if you look at the list of their own aircraft, apart from one,none of the TFC are down to appear, because of CAA paperwork problems once again. Whose fault is this, I don't like to speculate, it's never happened before and Stephen Grey must be tearing his hair out, but at least they've published a list, though once again, the truth of the matter is not being stated. At £30 per head to get in, I think that the paying public have a right to know whats happening.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

I gather that the paper work over the Vulcan's permit to fly is still being shuffled about between TVOC and the CAA, presumably it's still sitting on the tarmac at Waddington. I hope they get their backsides into gear as its due to take part in the Yeovilton Airshow this weekend. Now that looks a damn good airshow compared to Waddo, celebrating 100 years of Naval Aviation, it has some really cool aircraft, you'll be able to compare the flying attributes of the Typhoon to the French Rafael for instance, and the Frecces are there, pity it's so far away.

On Saturday, our local AAC base at Wattisham, just up the road on the other side of Sudbury, are having a families day, not open to the public but the place is very accesible and visible from the road, I spent many happy hours watching Phantoms up there. According to reports, there will be displays from the BBMF, USAF, VULCAN!! and a 20 ship formation flyby by the base Apaches.

Thats put me in a quandry, I've just had a phone call to say that an old friend of mine is coming up from Dorset and he's arranged to pick me up to go to Legends on Saturday, why do they put so many things on at the same time!

Trouble is, the weather forecast for Saturday is dreadful, it was crap for the Spring Airshow and has been glorious ever since, now it could be crap for Legends, the 'Spirits in the Sky' don't appreciate a decent airshow.

Incidentally, the TFC still haven't sorted their permit to fly issues, this could mean 14 rare warbirds not appearing on the big day, on the other hand the TFC flew their new T-20 Sea Fury yesterday, the last time I saw it, a few weeks ago, it was in bits, having just arrived from the USA in a sea container. Who did the test flight, non other than the USA's greatest warbird pilot, Steve Hinton, over to fly at Legends as part of the Horseman P-51 aerobatic team and having met him at the last Legends, a real gent and cool dude.

I've also heard that the French are flying in their own Flugwerke FW-190, registered to fly in France and allowed to fly over here for the show, sad isn't it, the CAA won't allow our Fw 190 to fly, but the French one, from the same factory, can. That will be a first, two Fw 190's parked together on a British airfield.

Just been announced on Lincs FM that the white elephant, oops I mean the Vulcan has now got all it's paperwork in place to display at air shows so I will keep my eyes open tomorrow for it leaving Waddo for Yeovilton, If anyone is in the Waddo area today/tonight the Vulcan is parked alongside the E3s AWACS at the Lincoln end of the airfield

Rog

The FW-190 arrived yesterday (The pilot was given a bottle of "Spitfire Ale" on his arrival !!)

It looks fantastic doesn't it, have you seen the video of it landing on the TFC Blogspot. I know you don't like the French, but at least they allow this little gem to fly while our example sits rotting away in a hangar thanks to the good old UK CAA, mind you, maybe the engine will blow up tomorrow. My missus was putting her horses away yesterday evening when it flew over on it's way to DX, she said it was incredibly low, fast and noisy.

I managed to get out Saffron Walden way today to sort out a little job, hoping to nip up the road for the practice session afterwards, unfortunately things went on and on and I haven't been home long, I did manage to see the JU-52 stooging about though, and at last I have a bit of cash for tomorrow.

I'm getting all excited now, my mate just rang and he's picking me up at 8:00am, I'd normally be sitting on the flightline then, but so what, it's good to go with old pals. I've got to have my tea and get my butties and gear sorted out for tomorrow yet, I shall look forward to taking in the atmosphere and not staring at the show through a lens.

Hopefully a few shots to be published on Sunday.

Please book Legends for next year Rog and Ian, I reckon it's the best airshow in the world.

I've just had three fighters including a silver P-51 roar over the house, followed by an unknown, possibly B-25, grumbling away behind the trees, woohoo, how cool is that.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I remember the Vulcan B1 you refer to; myself and friends used to cycle to Hucknall to watch it. I read somewhere, 'Flight' magazine I think, that the crew who suffered the accident was one of two 'on loan' RAF crews. The investigation of the accident revealed that the aircraft had 'exceeded the safe speed 'g' flight envelope' and this caused the wing to disintegrate; there was no design fault. I arrived at the Syerston display shortly after the accident. The wreckage was (mercifully) almost totally confined to the airfield at the opposite end to the visitors. There were many interesting aircraft at Hucknall. Lightning; Canberra; Tyne Lincoln; Ambassador; Hunter; Swift; Avro Ashton; Flying Bedstead. Happy Days!

There were many interesting aircraft at Hucknall. Lightning; Canberra; Tyne Lincoln; Ambassador; Hunter; Swift; Avro Ashton; Flying Bedstead. Happy Days!

I don't know whether you attended any of the Hucknall airshows, but I have photos of these that I haven't published yet, as well as a colour DVD of the 1963 airshow there. Somewhere on this site I published a picture I took of some of the aircraft you mention parked up at Hucknall, there are others that I haven't found yet, but I recently found a picture I took of the ill fated Vulcan taking off on a test flight from Hucknall. I also have a picture somewhere of an early PIB running up on the engine test ramp and a picture my brother took of the RR MkXIX Spitfire just prior to him climbing into the cockpit, security was not very tight in the 50's. As you say, happy days.

...and a picture my brother took of the RR MkXIX Spitfire just prior to him climbing into the cockpit, security was not very tight in the 50's. As you say, happy days...

Franz von Werra fly back, all is forgiven...

Cheers

Bockscar...

Franz von Werra fly back, all is forgiven...

Cheers

Bockscar...

Captain Van Lott, please............ besides, that was a Hurricane, and my brother never could speak German, or Dutch for that matter, good re-enactment though, but S/L Boniface never put in an appearance, pity. They clearly didn't learn from their security mistakes did they.

I don't know whether you attended any of the Hucknall airshows, but I have photos of these that I haven't published yet, as well as a colour DVD of the 1963 airshow there. Somewhere on this site I published a picture I took of some of the aircraft you mention parked up at Hucknall, there are others that I haven't found yet, but I recently found a picture I took of the ill fated Vulcan taking off on a test flight from Hucknall. I also have a picture somewhere of an early PIB running up on the engine test ramp and a picture my brother took of the RR MkXIX Spitfire just prior to him climbing into the cockpit, security was not very tight in the 50's. As you say, happy days.

You're right. The aircraft I described as a Lightning was a P1B. Those were the days before it was christened Lightning. You can see a P1A at RAF Cosford. It stands next to a Bristol 188. What a pair!

You're right. The aircraft I described as a Lightning was a P1B. Those were the days before it was christened Lightning. You can see a P1A at RAF Cosford. It stands next to a Bristol 188. What a pair!

I distinctly recall the P1B breaking the sound barrier over the city, it was so loud on take off that you could hear it from Wollaton. The Bristol 188 was a wonderful aircraft that had the disadvantage that it was made out of stainless steel and it's weight overcame it's power ratio, one of those odd experimental aircraft that the British aerospace industry were good at producing at the time, remember the SR-53, the rocket/jet powered future of fighter interception, also now stuck in Cosford museum.

• 3 months later...

There's been a lot of fund raising lately and they've (Alledgedly ) nearly hit the target. (There's been (Again alledgedly) a single donation of £458.000!!!!)

Worth a look , and you can sign the big girls 50th birthday card !!

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Ian

I heard it was £350K plus £150K pledged, it's just the same old story with the management team again, as soon as the airshow season is about to start, out comes the begging bowl, mind you, trying to keep the old girl going was bound to be a nightmare, I'm keeping out of the arguments, the critics on the aircraft forums tend not to be the people working themselves to death trying to keep this wonderful airframe in the air, if they know better, perhaps they should take over.

Mind you, the way things are going, a long trip down to the South Atlantic and back could be on the cards, clearly a certain Victor can fly as well, perhaps the government should cough up just in case, now that could be an interesting thread, definately Stan material.

I can certainly sympathize with the Vulcan folks. Just trying to keep a Piper Cherokee airworthy is bad enough!

A few years back I was chatting to a chap at Sun 'n Fun who owned a restored P51 - he said it cost about $1,000,000/year to do a limited airshow season. At the big airshows over here, the participants will get some reimbursement - typically, free fuel for flying in the displays, but that's about it - and a P51 only has a single engine - a piston engine at that!

Port (Stan) ly ?????

Spot on mate, c'mon Stan, get going, come back to us.

Lets please note that the Typhoons based on the Falklands are considered to be the most advanced and potent military aircraft in the entire Southern Hemisphere, dumping burning fuel out of ageing, outdated Australian F-111's don't frighten anybody, not even the sharks off Bondi Beach, eager for a taste of that good old Oz barbie, or rather the folk that have eaten it.

I watched an interview the other day with the F-111 display crew (In Singapore where they had broken down) and the interviewer asked " Why is the F-111 being phased out ,?" To which the pilot replied, "If you imagine all these new machines are computers , we are the equivalent of a fax machine !!!" very apt I thought.

The Vulcan fund is at £450,000 plus the £448.000 that has been verified as a genuine pledge , so we've got her for another year at least.

...we are the equivalent of a fax machine...

Very true - and that probably makes the Vulcan the equivalent of the teletype! (Remember the Saturday evening football results?)

Or a carrier pidgeon !!

That was wierd there , I posted realised I had missed some punctuation , edited it , and it reapeared with the original and another just for good measure , (Then it tells me that I edited out the dupes when I didn't)

Told you there was sommat wrong with my settings !!

That is wierd - it was me that deleted the dupes, Ian - and when I checked, it said "Edited by Limey" - now it says you edited it! Very strange!

No matter, just didn't want you to think I was picking on you! unsure.gif