Avro Vulcan prototype

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

Anyone have any news on the Vulcan 2010 flying programme?

The Vulcan to the Sky Trust site is, as ever, totally ambiguous...

Still retain a sense of unease with this organisation, combined with a certain foreboding.

Enthusiasm seems to be waning...they targeted 558,000 signatures for a June 50th anniversary birthday card.

8,868 signatories to date...

Cheers

Robt P.

Probably the same as you, but all i know is she's still undergoing a major 'Winter'!!!! refit .

If I hear owt else I'll let you know.

• 2 months later...

Hi Rob and all the posters here. I moved to Daybrook/Arnold just after the war as a five year old and as it was obvious that in future warfare the plane was going to be prominent there was always a lot of activity in the air around our district as Rolls Royce had their testing facilities at Hucknall. I remember the first jets, Meteors I think, a twin engine fighter. As the jet engine developed we could definitely hear the noise from the test bed and if the wind was in the right direction I am not surprised that folks in Calverton could hear it.

I was a regular visitor to the annual RAF Syerston air show and was there on that fateful day with my fiancé. The tannoy announced that the Vulcan was arriving and it came in low and fairly slow from over Bingham, the crowds being on its right and the noise from the engines was very noisy as he was throttling back to keep his speed down. Suddenly panels started peeling from the right hand delta wing and the pilot veered off to the left away from the crowd and I think that even then a lot of people still didn’t realise what was happening until a parachute appeared from the cockpit. There was no chance of ejection though as the plane crashed and burst into flames and a thick black pall of smoke shot into the air. There was an eerie stunned silence before people started screaming, some feinting and I had all on consoling my fiancé. As we Brits do, the show went on but all eyes were on the smoke and activity of fire and rescue crews rushing to the scene. I never went to an air show again.

• 1 year later...

Knew I'd seen a Spit' on a pole...Locking it was!

The base specialized in advanced aspects of radio communication.

Cheers

Robt P.

Didn't have no Spit on a pole when I was there - Sept 1960 - Aug 1963. There I was, fresh out of the Medders, and off to some furreign country - Zumerset. Funny lot down there - miles to the nearest chippy.

Welcome back alison...long time, no read.

Nowadays there is a chippie in Hutton and one (possibly two) in Banwell - not too distant.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 years later...

I think the spitfire what fly's around Hucknall nowadays is owned by rolls themselves and was built in Aston.. It a regular sight around hucknall when it attends the yearly open day which the aerodrome holds in June/July time.

In earlier post it was mentioned that the lighting was took from service mid 80s............. but I think that they kept two lightings on for high speed radar targets down at Hendon for quite bit of time after, Can anyone confirm this?