Best and worst seaside resorts

So, recently we've had a nice thread about good old 'Mabo' where people have spoken fondly about the Lincolnshire resort.

We're now enjoying one about 'Skegness '12'.

What are some of your best (and possibly horrendous! experiences in UK seaside towns?

seaside-postcard-museum.11850.large_slideshow.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All these people with their posh holidays looking down their noses at good old Nottingham by the Sea. We had an old caravan on the Walsh site on Roman Bank of which I have the fondest  childhood memor

Will be celebrating my birthday at Epton's. I know how to have a good time !!

benj, Trunch Lane is at Chapel, or at least it was in the 60s. I couldn't tell you where it starts and ends though, and no idea what the site was called that we stayed in. I know it got a bit cramped

As hippo girl stated Cleethorpes is really dire, dirty & disgusting. Skeggy, I can take it or leave it, usually leave it !

My all time favourite is Hunstanton. I have to say this is the cleanest resort I have ever known, plenty of free on street parking as well !

There is a superb fish & chip shop there too, (Fisher's of Hunstanton).

I used to love Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk - last time I went was about five years ago, and it has actually improved from what I remember as a teenager!

OK Derek, I was imprisoned there for a day,summer of 65, two Sheffield gals were spending a week at Skeggy' Butlins,and convinced my mate and me how good it was.

An absolute load of B#@%#!&$. How anyone could stay for a week,or even two,was beyond my understanding.

As a kid I remember going for a day trip to Cleethorpes. The minute we got off the Bartons bus, there was the smell of dead fish that seemed to be everywhere.

The beach was a dirty pile of sand, seaweed, and rubbish. The red flags were up,which meant no going in the sea,( a smelly, dirty water,with some kind of foam, or chemical suds). How I longed to be on the beach at Mablethorpe.

That was my worst ever seaside visit.I even remember all the folk that came on the same bus, were back at the bus park, and everyone talked the driver into leaving a couple of hours early.

The conversation on the way home, we should have gone to 'Mablethorpe'. :tanning:

Cleethorpes was always Sheffield-by-the-sea. I'll put my neck on the line and say I liked it - and still like it, though I haven't been for a while. Had relatives who lived there - although fairly well back from the seafront. But then, I'm an awkward cus - and I was never a great fan of Skegness either! So I'll put my tin hat on and wait for the brickends and hand grenades to fly...

Bournemouth in the late 50s and early 60s was great IMHO. Been to Mabo, Sutton on Sea, Skegness and even Southport and enjoyed each for its own characteristics but, Bournemouth was a different style of seaside life.

Beaches were great, especially Sandbanks which was not built up in those days - just a wooden hut that supplied tea, ice cream and the like. Sun, blue skies, hot weather, crysral clear water.................Ain't memories grand!!!!!!!

The family even went to live there for a year before we came out here to OZ in 64. I got a job as a delivery van driver for Dewhursts the Butchers and thoroughly enjoyed the lifestyle for those few months. Even got to see how the rich people lived when delivering meat orders to some of those big houses (access via servants entrance thankyou!). Mainly delivered to the Dewhurst butchers shops around the area. Even had the van to drive home after a short time with them.

I must admit that I quite like Cleethorpes, although it's always extrememly windy when I go there. One time my kite snapped and went onto the road, oops! Scarborough has to be my favourite by far though!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! Mind you, Cleethorpes can be a bit severe in winter - I seem to remember the sea froze about 1957. In the so called Wonderland arcade just north of the railway station, there used to be a cafe that stayed open right through the winter. It always had a little coterie of locals who would drop in for a cuppa and a toasted teacake dripping with butter.

About four years ago I went with my wife to Newquay(March) to throw her father(his ashes) of the cliff.

Afterwards we went into the town what a s**t 'ole.

It stank of stale fat & burgers & was none too clean

It had changed from the last time I was there in 1966 when it was a nice place to be.

In 1984 I spent a day at Butlitz, Pwhelli; by late afternoon I was on the escape committee!

Blackpool is a great place for people watching. Gaudy, bright, breezy and gauche but loads of fun watching folk going about their holidays and doing things they wouldn't dream of doing at home :o)

I remember a couple I know taking their grandchild at Butlitz at Skegness for the few days a few years ago. Quoth he to his wife upon walking in and surveying the accommodation: 'Don't take your coat off - we're not staying'.

Ooooohhhh - and nice new beach huts too! They always make Mary laugh, the is no real American equivalent - they just do NOT understand the importance of a good cuppa!

• 7 years later...

Skegness has just taken that honour. Top rated is St. Mawes in Cornwall. We did stay at St. Mawes many years ago in a rented house and it was rather special. We've only passed through Skegness in recent years so can't really comment. It wouldn't be top of my list for a week's holiday though.

Been to St.Mawes Phil, a fabulous place. Especially liked the little ferry over to Falmouth. Just up the road apiece is the beautiful spot of St.Just in Roseland, with that wonderful little church. Such a peaceful place to walk round. Thanks for the reminder. I have to agree with you, Skegness is best when driven through. Was bitterly disappointed when we made a nostalgia visit about 10 years ago. thumbsup