Best and worst seaside resorts

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All these people with their posh holidays looking down their noses at good old Nottingham by the Sea. We had an old caravan on the Walsh site on Roman Bank of which I have the fondest  childhood memor

Will be celebrating my birthday at Epton's. I know how to have a good time !!

benj, Trunch Lane is at Chapel, or at least it was in the 60s. I couldn't tell you where it starts and ends though, and no idea what the site was called that we stayed in. I know it got a bit cramped

We went to Skeg a lot when I was young, probably almost every year in the first half of the 1960s, and all my memories of it are good. I still have a lot of photos by Wrates street photographers.

We only went to Mablethorpe and Cleethorpes once each, and I don’t remember much about them, but I think we were underwhelmed by both and never returned. 

@jonab   I remember oily mud like that on Chapel St Leonard's beach when I was young in the early 1950s.  I never questioned where it had come from - just accepted it.  Funnily enough, I didn't dislike the feel of the mud squeezing between my toes!    I don't remember it having any smell, though

There's a chip shop on Skegness front that always smells of rancid fat to me. I must be the only who finds it unpleasant though,  the place is always crowded.

All these people with their posh holidays looking down their noses at good old Nottingham by the Sea. We had an old caravan on the Walsh site on Roman Bank of which I have the fondest  childhood memories of trips during the fifties with members of my immediate and extended family.

This was the era of Calor Gas Bottles and popping gas mantle lights, site rent was £10 a year and winter storage of the van £2-50.

Who can forget the early morning sight of my momma ( a good Nottinghamism, granny to those not in the know) running across a rain lashed site towards the lavatories and disappearing straight into the gents. How we kids laughed.

The serried ranks of females attired in see through plastic macs, with matching rain hoods to protect their tight perms for the coming night out.

At the end of the day, tired and walking back along Roman Bank calling in to the Linga Longa, or the next door Longa Linga fish and chip shops for sustenance.

The stallholder kneading rock mixture during a particular cold spell, his nose running like a tap and regularly being wiped on the back of his hand. "Now you know where the green stripes  come from" said my dad, and put us all off rock for life.

Keep it secret, but last year I had a week at Sandilands in a bungalow, and really enjoyed my extended walks along the coast in that bracing fresh air. 

• Like 6

To the best of my limited knowledge, nobody on this thread has been knocking this particular coastline. All have just been recalling past experiences and memories. I now happen to live near Brighton and Eastbourne, but we never go there as day visitors. My sister in law can't stand it down on the South coast because they're shingle beaches and no sand, ( not like Skeggy). I know Camber and Pevensey etc have sand so don't shout at me. But being a Southern Jessie for the last 33 years, given the choice between Brighton and Skegness, I would choose Skeg.

Not that I would want to go to Skegness again.

In 1947, my mum and three of her friends from the office spent a week at Weston Super Mare.  She said the beach was pure shingle and I have photos of them sitting in deck chairs on just that.

In 1949, for their honeymoon, my parents went to Southbourne. Nice place, she said, but the beach wasn't a patch on good old Skeggy!

I

Many nice day trips in Weston super Mare, but beware that beach which I nearly sank into once, trying to get to sea. Imagine drowning on the beach, not even the sea!

I couldn’t knock Skegness because I don’t really know it, having been there for a couple of hours only a few times in my life ..... park up, quick bracing walk along the beach, back to the car and drive home.  Mind you I did go (as a ‘Mod’) one bank holiday Monday in the mid-60s, for the experience!  When I was a little tot we went to Mablethorpe for a week, probably about 3 times judging by the Wraites family photos taken on the pullover.  My parents preferred to holiday in Scarborough and one year we went to Butlins at Filey.  They then ventured further afield to Ilfracombe a few times, staying in an hotel owned by old neighbours from Arnold.  When I was old enough to go away without parents I jetted off to the Med to spend all day acquiring a tan, because if you didn’t get home tanned people didn’t think you’d had a good holiday. 
I think it’s great that Carni and Chris go back to Skegness every year, it has wonderful memories for them.

I met my future husband in The Flying Horse but sadly we can’t go in there for a quick drink!
Really, the Lincolnshire coast is very boring and there are so many more interesting seaside resorts around our coastline, but Skegness, Ingoldmells, Mablethorpe and Sutton-on-Sea have always been ‘Nottingham-by-the-Sea, the closest seaside to Nottingham so very convenient, but there’s not much there unless you want pubs, amusement arcades and chip shops. 

Mess, we have a holiday home not far from Southbourne, between Sandbanks and Poole, and we love that area. So many fabulous coastal and.countryside walks, we occasionally drive over to Hengistbury Head, walk along the beach, around the headland and ogle the £300k beach huts that have no electricity or running water!  The only drawback is the 200 mile drive to get down there from Nottingham. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any intel on Prestwick you could share, please? Chippies (especially ones with good mushy peas, a Nottingham speciality I recall), sights, anything.

My ex boss had a caravan at Golden sands Mablethorpe. She often told me to go when I wanted but I only went a couple of times . It was quite peaceful .

Skegness is often referred to as being Nottingham  by the sea because it's the nearest seaside resort 

Here our nearest resort is Loano and the rest of the Ligurian coast

It's ok if you've not been before but after a while it gets a bit like Castagnole Lanze by the sea as we see all the locals. It gets so crowded from Easter as it's the first break after Christmas and it seems like everyone just has to get out. No fun on the roads even though it's all motorway. I prefer to stay home or go to the mountains the distance being the same but you breathe fresher air

We were supposed to be flying to Rome on Monday. 2 weeks in Tuscany followed by an Adriatic cruise. Right now I would gladly go to Skeggy!

• Like 1
On 7/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, carni said:

No idea about myself but......

I know my son was definitely conceived in a seaside caravan at Chapel?????slywink

I always thought it was ''Happy days'' camp,,,Trunch lane,,Ingoldmells,,Carnie ?

benj, Trunch Lane is at Chapel, or at least it was in the 60s. I couldn't tell you where it starts and ends though, and no idea what the site was called that we stayed in. I know it got a bit cramped trying to sleep 12/14 in a four birth.

That holiday was taken the year after hubbs and I met in Skeggy,  so we had been together twelve months by then. Old courting couple and pals.

We had some great laughs, My sister and our boyfriends booked for the four of us. Chrises mates and girlfriends were camping down the road, but we all ended up in the caravan for the night when it started raining. Lots of fun, and would you believe, all quite innocent.:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Surprising how far our memories stretched back then........Used to take the odd girl or two,,,to happy days site,,,10/- for the Caravan,about the same,,10/-for drinks,,,Batemans ale 1/4 per pint,,,Babychams1/6,,,a good dance to the Beatles and The 'beach boys''.....:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, catfan said:

Nowt wrong with Skeg, Going on Weds for ten days !

Everyone book a staycation for next week ....... Mr and Mrs Catfan always pick a good week weatherwise! 

• Like 3

Our second son arrived in 1979 and we had no intention of going on holiday with a new baby but our neighbours persuaded us to have their caravan in Mundesley, Norfolk for a week.  We weren’t at all bothered about going as the baby was only a few weeks old, too much hassle, but felt we should accept their kind offer and be grateful.   It was ok and the weather was lovely but what we remember most of all is everything covered in greenflies ........ Gt Yarmouth Prom looked like a lawn.  We had greenflies in our hair, eyes, mouths!   We were glad to be back inland at the end of the week.  I seem to remember that this event was then followed by hungry ladybirds everywhere you looked.  

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Everyone book a staycation for next week ....... Mr and Mrs Catfan always pick a good week weatherwise! 

Just checked and apart from a bit of rain on Monday, Skegness is going to have a glorious sunny week. Enjoy it Catfan!

• Like 1