Nottm now - Good and Bad

Hi

In my intro thread, Stu, I think asked me what if anything I thought had changed for the Good of Nottm, when I last visited a year ago., so hope I've got the right place here to reply ?

I loved the new trams especially around the market square area, and there was some sort of expo on the square for a few days with a few rides, food stalls and even an artificial beach ! Its great to see the square being used this way.

Old fashioned pork scratchings Hmmm!

I had quite a few breakfasts at the "Bank" the food was excellent and very cheap (to us Aussies anyway)!

Loved walking around Debenams, brough back lots of old memories there.

Loved Wollaton park and the hall, again brought back many chilhood memories, especially having a coffee in the old stables yard on a glorious sunny afternoon.

Loved going to the old pubs along the Trent valley, especially Morton and visiting my old fishing haunts.

A steak for two and a pint at the Ferry Boat Stoke Bardolph.

Witherspoons and Bread & Bitter on Mapperley tops.

We both loved the supermarkets and the food choices you have there now, and the 24hour opening times.

Can't beat buying a Tesco rasberry cream trifle at 10-00pm at night cause we fancied it !

Spent a fair bit of time in Morrisons, ASDA and Tesco's especially at the big Home store in Netherfield, Costa's coffee's hmm!

Now some of the downsides, hated the crowds on the paved walkways from Vicky center down to Broadmarsh, wherever I walked I seemed to be bumping into people !

Did I say Broadmarsh ! well whats left of it!

Lots of litter everywhere.

Hated the crazy traffic management systems around the square, and very limited parking (and having to pay for it!)

Your ridiculous cost of fuel !

Gosh I could go on but will leave it there, as I said before, I love Nottm really and possibly always will.

Even writing this gets me excited and looking forward to another visit.

Brian

Thanks for that Brian, very interesting. I share some your 'likes' about Nottinghamshire to, especially the Trent Valley and its old pubs. I've long been an occasional visitor to the Full Moon at Morton, the Bromley Arms at Fiskerton, the Reindeer at Hoveringham and the like. Great places and lovely walks. You might find the pics from this journey around that area interesting: https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/a-pictorial-guide-to-my-favourite-bike-ride/

Interesting to see thoughts on the 'new' Old Market Square too as it's a subject that divides opinion.

I reckon most of the things you dislike about Nottingham would be shared here by many.

Thanks for your thoughts and I hope you manage another trip 'home' before too long!

AND DONT FORGET TO TELL US YOUR COMMING AND WE CAN TRY AND ARRANGE A MEET UP WE LIKE MEETING OTHER MEMBERS AND PUTTING FACES TO NAMES AND WE DONT NEED MUCH OF AN EXCUSE FOR A NOTTSTALGIA NIGHT UT DO WE GUYS AND GELS.