Clun Castle steam railtour to Nottingham 1965

Can anyone recall this event, it was March 27th 1965, possibly the first time a Castle Class visited Midland Station?

It was an Ian Allan special from Paddington via Oxford, Worcester, Bromsgrove, Tamworth, Derby, Trent Jct then Nottingham. The loco was serviced at Nottingham Shed and the return journey was via Trent, Market Harborough, Northampton then Paddington. Only three Castle's remained in service at the time, Clun Castle was to be the last, withdrawn at the end of the year.

img072.jpg

This is a photo taken on Kodachrome with my brothers Hanimex of the special heading for Midland, the picture was taken from Lenton Lane bridge, you can see the University Portland Building in the background.

img075.jpg

For the return journey I nipped over to Trent station where I took this, a really dreadful picture with my Ilford Sporti 4 camera, I was standing on the slope right at the end of the platform at the eastern end, I gather that Clun Castle is due to re-enter mainline service at the end of the year, who would have thought that in 1965.

• Upvote 3

Not into steam but it looks like a real 'chuff chuff' complete with coal tub, as I remember as a kid :biggrin:

Some years ago when in Delhi, I had a spare day and visited the National Rail Museum. It was just something to do for the morning. Although not a rail enthusiast I ended up staying there all day. Absolutely fascinating. Engines from all over the World. Various gauges. Mostly of UK manufacture.

I was amazed at how many engine manufacturers there were in the UK, must have been ten or more. The prettiest engines were from Switzerland. Saddle tanks with narrow gauges for the hilly regions.