The Nottingham Festival

Anyone remember this discontinued event. I have few memories of it save knowing that it was started around 1971-ish. Curiously I recall walking through the Market Square one July Saturday morning, off to catch a train back to the relly's in Scotland, and seeing a pipe band performing in the square.

I don't remember if the annual event lasted more than a couple of years. Anybody with any recollections?

Yes I do

In the early 80's I used to help erect that big tent in the market square (it took 3 days, believe it or not. One day (8.30-5.00) to unfurl and start to clean it, one day (8.30-5.00) to finish cleaning and connect up the masts and cables (also any repairs) then the third day was the big pull up, done by 12.00 noon, and off to the pub)

I used to take three days holiday from work for it, twenty and a half hours work for one hundred and twenty quid cash in hand, or 40 hours at Pork Farms for £65 (No brainer really)Then one day to take it back down and pack it away for another £40

As for the festival itself after the two weeks it used to finish with the 'River side Festival' The big fair the parade of boats ,fireworks etc

The high light for me was always Ken Wallis in the Autogiro "Little Nellie" (As used by James Bond in 'You only live twice') when he flew it under the suspention bridge.

I also remember a bloke crashing his biplane ( maybe a Tiger Moth) into the Trent at the back of the City Ground

Dunno if its the same one, but when i was on Radio Trent, there was always a fortnight during early (ish) summer, that loads of stuff took place in The Market square.

Usually, Radio Nottingham did their week first, and then our lot at Trent the 2nd week.

Before i was with the station, i remember doing a karate demo on stage with a number of karate ka (fellow karate folk!) where we did a routine against a knife attack, unfortunately, we had to do it straight after some clowns had drenched the stage in water during their act! Wet wood and bare feet make for dangerous goings on, especially where a 12" bladed weapon was involved, luckily they stitched my hand back on..........................Joking!!!

"Slab Square...knife attack...dangerous goings on...12" bladed weapon"

Clearly your demo had a profound effect on the watching blacks...

Cheers

Robt P.

It certainly had an effect on my partner who was attacking me with it, i remember side stepping him, grabbing the offending arm, doing a very hard downward attack on him, and almost breaking his arm!

Those were the days before the nanny state had martial artists wearing safety gear, i ask you, if youre in a street attack scenario, you cant ask the attacker if you can nip home to put your protective stuff on!

"Slab Square...knife attack...dangerous goings on...12" bladed weapon"

Clearly your demo had a profound effect on the watching blacks...

Cheers

Robt P.

It certainly had an effect on my partner who was attacking me with it, i remember side stepping him, grabbing the offending arm, doing a very hard downward attack on him, and almost breaking his arm!

Those were the days before the nanny state had martial artists wearing safety gear, i ask you, if youre in a street attack scenario, you cant ask the attacker if you can nip home to put your protective stuff on!

I just used to punch them before they could get 'one in' and whilst they were on the ground shaking their heads trying to clear the stars away, I would ask them to come to town in a crash helmet next time they fancied being 'hard'

Incedently that was he same fortnight that Stu is talking about Craig