A bit of Nottstalgia, with a reference to old mine workings thrown in.

It was mothers 93rd birthday last week so I made the journey for the event and to help her out with a few jobs around the house:-

nottmeaster2009006.jpg

On Wednesday day my son came over and I took him on a trip around my old haunts, some of which I hadn't visited for over 40 years, he thought it was great to see the places that related to some of my little tales, particularly my friends fortunately still standing out house where I set up a distillation and condensing plant in order to make nitro glycerine, and the wall of which was used as a testing area for home made napalm.

Firbeck shops are non existant, no Mr Graham the butcher, no greengrocer, no Mrs Gambles grocery shop, no Mr Oscroft, whose sweet shop was a gem, fireworks sold out the back door, Jubblies for 3d that kept you going all afternoon.

Everything in the rec had gone, just a couple of goal posts and some furtive, druggy, youths who made the mistake of making some silly comments aimed at us, they won't do it again.

Off to the train bridge via Albert Leeks house, it's still there but you can't look down the line anymore to spot whether a Brit was coming up hill on the Waverley.

Balloon Woods, much truncated, but still there, a really cute black kid was waiting outside the play centre for a lift home, when I told him it was built on a coal mine he looked bemused and laughed his lack of socks off, he didn't really appreciate that the buildings still extant across the road were used for testing Merlin engines, but why should he.

Up the Moor Farm path and I took this picture off the railway bridge:-

nottmeaster2009015.jpg

This was the spot where the crossing gate to the old brickworks used to be, long gone, but if you look carefully you will spot one of the old timber posts. What concerns me is what the foundations are like to some of these houses, I noticed that one was built on top of an old bell pit that I recall being filled up with scrap cars in the 50's.

At this point, the old canal cutting has been filled in, why, I don't know, the rotting railway bridge still survives in an isolated area:-

nottmeaster2009016.jpg

Interestingly enough, the old sough that was talked about in the mineworkings thread is evident to the left of this picture, it's an overgrown ditch that contains the remains of stonework, one of these things that's impossible to photograph succesfully.

After crossing over Coventry Lane, the old canal was much in evidence, but lacked water, why is that.

We found the old brick culvert that I used to crawl through when I was a kid:-

nottmeaster2009018.jpg

nottmeaster2009017.jpg

Was it built before or after the canal?

Next, the old stop lock:-

nottmeaster2009019.jpg

Then we came across an old overbridge with some great graffitti, ignore the ?Wrexham FC stuff and the modern signings, if you can see it, this dated from 1860.

nottmeaster2009020.jpg

nottmeaster2009021.jpg

Down to the pound that provided a turning point for the barges serving Trowell Moor Colliery, still there but overgrown and no water????

nottmeaster2009023.jpg

More later.

This was the bridge to Trowell Moor Colliery:-

nottmeaster2009025.jpg

As for the colliery, nothing exists:-

nottmeaster2009026.jpg

I hope that the public realise that underneath this idylic scene are two mineshafts, several hundred feet deep and that the whole area is based on liquid slag dumped from the Stanton Ironworks blast furnaces.

On to Catstone Hill, they've let the trees grow, nice one, the stunning views are now lost, we assault the summit to see absolutely nothing, at least the vandalised trig point is still there along with the old semi caves.:-

nottmeaster2009028.jpg

nottmeaster2009029.jpg

nottmeaster2009032.jpg

What is the point of allowing the trees to grow, who's idea was this.

Next a nice walk through Bramcote Hills Park.

What happened to Moor Farm, the scene of many discos, now flattened and replaced by a grim building owned by the holy brethren or some such religious w'nkers, thanks chaps, you must feel secure behind your steel fences, do you have a problem, thanks for suppressing fun.

Finally, I tried to trace the cottage owned by Littlebros ancestors, I reckon it was here:-

nottmeaster2009035.jpg

Wiped out by that pleasant housing estate.

Thats all folks, I'm off to get my tea now.

I think you'll find that the nice thatched cottage has been obliterated, along with the Bramcote Hills House walled vegetable garden and cottage, they seem to have been converted into a memorial garden, who for, the Planning Commitee or some such council w@nker I guess. I was appalled at the way that this area had been dealt with, but it doesn't surprise me the way that our local council have destroyed the natural habitat behind my garden in their version of a nature reserve, they have no idea, the whole scheme is run by useless, self opinionated twats protecting their careers and pensions.

So what were the stories behind the thatched cottage then.

Yeah I know the gardeners Cottage has gone ( was a lovely building too )and turned into that waste of time garden....But further down the road..past the Crem'...is a little cottage....still there...dead opposite the entrance to the Quarry....apparently the Quarry owner had it built for his daughter and its an exact copy of the dollshouse she used to have.

Hi Firbeck,

Thanks for the photo's, many happy returns to your Mum.

The family cottage was about on the site of the play area between Latimer Drive and Sloan Drive, you photo is about spot-on.

I will go and view the sough this weekend.