Historic Aviation Nottstalgia from Mothers Loft.

OK, not quite Nottingham but close, well Nottingham is shown on the map, I found some old Waddington Airshow programmes from the early 60's in the great loft clearance, this is part of the one from 1962:-

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't got a copy of the detailed flying programme, this was on a flimsy sheet that inevitably ended up in your back pocket and got eventually lost, pity.

Look at some of the participants, I remember the Mosquito flypast were the 3 that were part of the THUMB flight at the time and I seem to recall more than one Lincoln doing a flypast, was anyone else there at the time and can remember the events of that day.

Just as an aside, following on from Saturdays flybys, we had a Dakota and a Hurricane come over yesterday, I'm looking forward to see what comes over today.

Hi Firbeck,

I worked on a contract at Waddington, back in the 70's, I recall they had 3 or 4 Vulcan Bombers parked 'out back' of the airfield, any idea what became of them?

We were told they were going for scrap!! They looked magnificent, even at ground level............... !clapping!

Paulus

I thought you'd been captured at Stalingrad!!

Are you sure it was during the 70's, Waddington was an active Vulcan base into the early 80's. I was on my way to a wedding in Lincoln in April 82 and was passing the base when that nice Mrs Thatcher was making her 'Total War' speech to parliament following the Falklands invasion. Quite frankly the place was on full alert with wall to wall Vulcans and armed troops everywhere, I took a risk and took many photos, sorry, on colour slides. They supplied the aircraft for the Black Buck missions, I don't understand why you say that there were 3 or 4 lurking around the back when it was probably the UK's only Vulcan base at the time.

If you want to see which Vulcans are preserved and their histories, Google 'Thunder and Lightnings', go to their site, and click on Vulcans, it will give you a good idea of what is still around.

Thanks Firbeck,

Perhaps it wasn't the early 70's could have been later, and a different RAF base, I worked at Scampton, Newton, Syerston, Cranwell during 60s/70's , could it have been one of those bases?