Traffic Street Sweet Factory and Wood Factory

Lived on Summers Street from aged one to sixteen (1945-1960), first school was Queens Walk on the corner of Brierley Street, used to love the smell from the timber yard up Traffic Street. With me Dad working at the LMS shunting yards up on Wliford Road, we regularly walked up Traffic Street to meet him from work. The local map that displays on this thread actually shows our house.

Queens Walk later became Welbeck Primary, but that was a long time after I left. If I remember correctly the school entrance on Brierley St was for littlies, and the entrance on KIngLake Street was for older kids. It was opposite the Boots factory. Up Brierley St on the left hand side, at the top of the Reccie, was a creche for pre-schoolers. My Gran lived directly opposite the creche at no 21.

More on the area around Traffic Street. Was this place on Queens Drive next to the Police Station? The Police Station was on the corner of Kirkwhite street and Queens Drive.

baptism.jpg