Avro Vulcan prototype

Very true...

The marked area also extended from Kilvington to Barkestone-in-the-Vale.

Many bomb craters are testimony to the value of the exercise...don't suppose the old Duke would have been too bothered about the welfare of his dispersed tenant farmers, so long as Belvoir Castle stayed intact.

Numerous documents on the subject are in the local reference section of Bingham library...

Cheers

Robt P.

Interesting, my old man always reckoned that the site was situated in such a position that it was the same distance from Nottingham to Derby, ie, if a raid was planned on both cities, the fields would cop Nottinghams load and Nottingham would cop Derby's allocation. He always maintained that the major Nottingham raid was meant for Derby because of this, which was why the bombs landed on the eastern side of the city, he always reckoned they were really after Derby loco works and Rolls Royce.

Seems unlikely to me, I doubt whether the Germans were so easily fooled and it's unlikely that one industrial city would be sacrificied for another. Mind you, there are dreaded conspiracy theories regarding the bombing of Coventry, so who knows.

Incidentally, were there ever any raids on Stanton Ironworks. It was such a huge site with two sets of blast furnaces and the coke ovens, always lit up like a christmas tree at night, difficult to disguise that, even in wartime. I recall some of the buildings were painted in camo paint, especially one near Stanton Gate Station, it always made me smile considering the enormity of the huge smoking, burning furnaces nearby.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

Re Google etc

If you look closely on Google Earth at the Hull area you can see where a 'Dummy' docks was set up further up the Humber estuary. You can clearly see where there is a false dock gate Etc around the site of Brough airfield . This used to be a lot more defined 20 odd years ago , I remember taking a flight over the area and being shown all the 'land marks'

For some silly reason I have lost my Defence of Britain layer which I had on there for ages (I can't even find how to get it back) I lost it when I uploaded the latest edition (The new one has a flight simulator in it !!!)

z.jpg

z1.jpg

Ayup all,

For those that are interested XH558 is having an engine changed today, some problem with oil or oil samples

Cheers

Rog

Woo Hoo!!!

I might be meeting with the famous Firbeck earlier than first thought!!

You going Firbeck? any body else for that matter,Frank,?

If so PM me and we'll sort out a meet up point .

• 4 weeks later...

Last ever Vulcan flight???

They would even allow sponsor 'Beardie' to paint it Virgin red.

Thursday 16th October, Farnborough...RIP?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7673625.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7674922.stm

Cheers

Robt P.

Have signed the petition, but doubt this will be the route forward...

IMO, it has to be a major sponsor...or nowt...

I notice that Vulcan to the Sky top dog Dr Robert Pleming has already signed.

XH 558 Captain S/L Dave Thomas too...

Cheers

Robt P.

Sad isn't it that they have to resort to this, yes I'll sign it, but I think it's unlikely that the Government will sacrifice a bank to pay for an airshow attraction, unfortunately, it's arrived on the scene at a bad economical time.

With regard to Richard Branson, other sources suggest he's put a fair amount of dosh into it all ready, he may be wealthy but he doesn't own a bottomless pit, he's already had an unfair kick up the backside and unreasonably lost his Virgin Cross Country railway franchise recently.

It's a similar tale with the Sea Vixen, restored then sponsored by Red Bull, then having to be painted in their terrible corporate colour scheme. When airshow bookings dropped off, they pulled out of the deal, it's now painted in RN markings but rarely seen and like the Vulcan, will possibly cease flying next year.

Euro Lottery tickets tonight folks, with a pledge to save them both.

Refresh my memory for me please , when we were at Duxford I'm positive I saw a plane in the Red Bull markings , I have gone through my photos of the day and must have been too disgusted to take a pic, so what was it ??

Refresh my memory for me please , when we were at Duxford I'm positive I saw a plane in the Red Bull markings , I have gone through my photos of the day and must have been too disgusted to take a pic, so what was it ??

Now you've got me, haven't got a clue, they have a B-25 operating in Europe, but unlikely to be that one, it looks appalling by the way.

No it was indoors in the hanger where the Mig is (That may be wrong)

I've been out most of the day site visiting and only just seen this, I presume you mean the Mig 21 next to poor Mark Hannahs Phantom, in which case I might be able to find out.

This will make you smile, on a whim I applied for a job at Duxford yesterday, well the building industry is dead, one of the perks is free admittance to airshows with up to 5 guests, keep your fingers crossed, you may not have to pay £30 a time next year, I'll settle for a pint instead.

Also , did we see a 'Spit' in there with French markings tucked away at the back ?? I may have got a picture of this .

Found it (May not be French, but it aint English ) and it's a two seater , but it aint Carolines!!

Duxford08101.jpg

Duxford08111.jpg

I can remember seeing the red bull job too Ian, was it one that is being renovated at the moment in that hangar that seems to be dedicated to restoration project?

I will also ask me mate Rob

Rog

Ayup Beefsteak,

Had a reply from Rob the oracle, there are a few planes at Duxford in the Red Bull colours, so it sounds like "take your pick"

Rog

The one I was thinking of was in the process of being done up . TA

But what does the Oracle say of the two seat Spit ?

Sorry chaps, there are NO vintage Red Bull aircraft at Duxford and never have been, I don't know what you saw, it may have been one of their Sukhoi racers having a repair.

Red Bull have a massive facility in Salzburg, Austria where everything is based and maintained. Their main veteran flyers are a DC-6 airliner, B-25, Corsair, T-28 and others. They have recently aquired a P-38 Lightning which was due to be ferried from California last month, but plans for doing this were abandoned and it was due to be taken by sea in a container. As far as I know non of these aircraft have ever appeared in this country and certainly not this year.

The spitfire is Tr9 PV202, G-CCCA.

After the war the Irish Air Force aquired several MkIX Spitfires from the RAF, with respect to our Irish friends, only they could have decided to have a dozen or so converted to two seat trainers.

Of the one's converted a surprisingly large number have survived into flying preservation, mainly here, 4, and the USA, there is also a TrVIII flying here, but that was a test aircraft.

This particular example has had a chequered career, in it's pre two seat conversion days it flew 10 missions, was converted, flew in Ireland then stored as an instructional airframe. It was eventually restored over here, but unfortunately, during a training flight in 2000, while being flown by the late great Norman Lees, it clipped a tree attempting to land at Goodwood and crashed, killing both Norman and his passenger.

The wreckage was obtained by John Romain and ARC at Duxford, the company that operated the Blenheim/Bolingbroke. It was rebuilt and firstly flown in Irish Air Corps colours, I thought it looked great, but I gather it wasn't a popular choice of scheme.

It has now been repainted to represent a post war aircraft of the Royal Netherlands Air Force, makes a change from all the usual RAF marked Spits.

Incidentally, John Romains Blenheim, following it's landing accident a few years ago, is being rebuilt with a Mk1 nose, found in use as a caravan a while ago, should be a fantastic sight when it's up and running in a couple of years.

Ayup Beefsteak,

The Oracle has replied to the request for info on the two seaters, 3 flying in the UK at the moment Caroline Grace's ML 407

PT 462 ( I've got a picture of that one at Coningsby) and MJ 627 which is based at East Kirkby

I await contradictions

Rog

Ayup Beefsteak,

The Oracle has replied to the request for info on the two seaters, 3 flying in the UK at the moment Caroline Grace's ML 407

PT 462 ( I've got a picture of that one at Coningsby) and MJ 627 which is based at East Kirkby

I await contradictions

Rog

Oi, don't be like that or I wont bother, anyway, I said 4 Tr9's, another sneaked up on me over the weekend as you shall see.

There are now 5 TrIX's flying in this country and the TrVIII which is currently having an engine change and repaint.

TrVIII, formerly a post war racer, G-AIDN or MT818, bought back from the States last year, kept at Booker, and currently having an engine change and repaint, perhaps back to it's racing yellow, who knows.

Tr IX PV202 at DX as mentioned

ML407 at DX

PT462, G-CTIX flown from North Wales.

MJ627, G-BMSB, formerly at East Kirkby, but now at Norwich. It's thought that the pilot, Paul Day, former leader of the BBMF, was such a rude obnoxious git to members of the public that the Panton Brothers, who own East Kirkby, asked the owners to move it, the truth of this is not confirmed.

SM520, G-ILDA, based at Thruxton and had it's first post restoration test flight last Friday believe it or not.

It would be nice to see them all in the air at once next year, the most I've seen at any one time is 3.

They are unlikely to be at Legends though as Stephen Grey the TFC boss doesn't think that they represent true combat types, so you can watch all these other flying warbirds, most of which never saw an enemy, while poor Carolines Tr9 which allegedly shot down an FW190 on D-Day, sits in the hangar.

Is that OK, I'm not contradicting, thats a horrible word, just presenting the facts.

Have you found any Red Bull aircraft at DX yet, by the way.