forester street, netherfield

I was having a cuppa with a friend who used to live on forester street, we was trying to figure out what the cul de sac once was before it is what it is now, can anyone remember or know? Also, theres a carpet shop (i think) on there, does anyone know what that used to be, a factory maybe? they grew up on the street and recently moved, shes wanted to get abit of history about her street for a while now as weve managed to cover a fair bit from other parts of netherfield.

I lived on Bailey St (probably the cul de sac) in the early 50s til we moved to Midland Rd in 1958, the factory was Staffords, something to do with printing, if you were quick and brave enough you could run through the main entrance and out onto Curzon St. On the other side of Forester St was a removals firm, Harris/Harrisons I think they were called, next to them was a Bakery, myself and a few pals found this place ridiculously easy to gain entrance to and help ourselves to the tasty treats within.

The cul de sac thats there is fairly new, iv been told the houses are only about 17-18 years old. The carpet shop doesnt back onto curzon, its the same side as the little church and between some houses, would that be the bakery you said about? the cul de sac is oposite the smaller church and carpet shop if that helps.

Thinking about it, the cul de sac backs onto curzon street behind some newly built (well, built the same time as the cul de sac as far as i know) houses. Maybe this was where the factory you used to run through once stood? its nearer the top of forester, the victoria road end.

Ahh i see! I think its called caxton, i will pass that onto my friend, thankyou!

as beach bum said the factory was staffords the printers and yes the back entrance was on dunston st

• 5 years later...